air filters? trying to make a healthier home - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 05-08-2002, 08:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm looking to buy an air-filter for our home.

We live near a busy street so I hate to open the windows too often (high noise & exhaust). So, until we move we're kinda stuck with stale air.

I searched around on this board and didn't read anything with a whole lotta info on air filters. I did come across a web page (http://www.futurenet.org/6RxforEarth/morris.html) that stated cheaper air filters can emit ozone & electromagnetic fields.

I'm hoping someone has ideas or links on how to go about buying an air filter for our bedroom & living room. We have central a/c but I try not to use it often.

I also read about spider plants helping eliminate 80% of formaldehyde in the air so I plan to buy a few of them too (that or find someone at work who will part with some clippings!).

Thanks, and if I find any other info I'll post back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 2 Old 05-08-2002, 09:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi there - I used to work for a company that makes air cleaners so I know a bit about them.

There are so many types out there. From my info the best are the HEPA air cleaners. They filter 99.9% of dust, mold, pet dander, etc. . .out of the air. They can be rather prices, around $100, but IMHO they are worth it.

http://content.honeywell.com/yourhom...cate_menu1.htm Here is a link from my old company - they have lots of info about air quality and why/how filters help and of course they tell you all about their products. But lots of other companies make air cleaners.

As for cleaners that emit ozone & electromagnetic fields - those would be ionizer type air filters. I would personally stear clear of that type.

Ok I'll stop babbling now

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page