I want to smell like that woman! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 08-17-2010, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay, so this is going to sound goofy but I have always wanted to smell like the crunchy women that walk past me at the market. Do you know the smell I am talking about? Well it speaks to me and always has, even as a child.

Patchouli ( wow, spelled it right first try) is in the mix I am pretty sure but I don't think but it's straight patchouli b/c the overall smell is not overwhelming. Seems to be some other earthy essential oils in the mix or something. Don't know if it's a carrier oil with these essentials mixed in or a balm/wax of some sort?

I never get the courage up to ask them what they use to smell so earthy and wonderful. I even had a friend who smelled just the way I want to smell but didn't want to ask b/c I felt like a smell copy cat! Well now I have moved to a new place and I figure it's time I get to smell the way I have always wanted but how??!! Anyone know a company that makes body fragrance that smells like this? I am savvy enough to make my own concoction if given the basic recipe. I want earthy, natural, no chemicals type stuff. If my questions makes sense to you and you know what I am after please point me in the right direction! Get me smelling like the mountain gal that I am please!

:
#2 of 16 Old 08-17-2010, 12:46 PM

Try finding a source for amber (solid perfume or oil) or sandalwood (oil)! Your local coop probably carries them. It may be one of those.

Blissful Mama to DD-(5), DS-(6) and someone new due in November!
#3 of 16 Old 08-18-2010, 12:06 PM

I know Mountain Rose Herbs sells amber resin and sandalwood EO along with a bunch of other stuff you could use to create your scent.

http://www.mountainroseherbs.com/sea...amber&x=15&y=8
#4 of 16 Old 08-18-2010, 05:30 PM

All my crunchy mama friends who smell like that (I know EXACTLY what you are talking about) also burn a lot of incense in their homes. I think that has a lot to do with it.

Lisa - Mama to DD (12/07) and now a DS (3/11)! A wonderful uc.jpg!
#5 of 16 Old 08-18-2010, 05:36 PM

The calendula cream I have smells like hippie to me.

I think it's a mix of a lot of things. Hippie scented soaps, lotions, shampoos, cleaning supplies. Plus incense, like a PP said.

Old spice should work on that as a commercial. "The hippie your woman could smell like"

Hippie sympathizer and mom to L, 4.8.10.
Pet-mom to Squirt with FLUTD & Maya the deaf wonder dog .
#6 of 16 Old 08-18-2010, 05:40 PM

If you like Nag Champa (incense) you can get the Nag Champa soap/ oil too, or better yet the Karma line by LUSH smells just like it too! yumyum!

Blissful Mama to DD-(5), DS-(6) and someone new due in November!
#7 of 16 Old 08-21-2010, 11:13 PM

I don't think Nag Champa smells like Karma and I have both. I do wear Karma a lot, I really love it. Some people smell the patchouli more than I do. I don't pick up a ton of patchouli in it, I mostly get the citrus notes. I think my nose just loves patchouli.

I think the smell she means could mean Nag Champa though, or dragonsblood.

I had some dragonsblood soap fragrance that smelled amazing. I got it from Cybilla but I think brambleberry sells her stuff now.

Not all those who wander are lost 
#8 of 16 Old 08-22-2010, 07:17 PM

not sure. i do have to say i use lavender dr bronners on my infant son and he smells like tea after his bath-yummy! she probably had a mix of natural things.

Jessicaintactlact.gif, wife to Derricklurk.gif, missing Joslyn angel3.gif, 22 weeks 06.18.08, rainbow1284.gifBaby Kai Ambrose 05.10.10 and Isla Blythe born on Thanksgiving '12 uc.jpg

#9 of 16 Old 08-22-2010, 07:51 PM

I wear patchouli everyday and burn nag champa in my house. That combo always has gotten me compliments, (or at least queries), from strangers everywhere I go.

S~ Peace loving, natural living, FuNkY vegan mama to Keiran bouncy.gif 23/Dec/06:
"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter" ~~ MLK
#10 of 16 Old 08-24-2010, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much for your responses! I feel like I have a great jumping off point!

:
#11 of 16 Old 08-25-2010, 10:25 AM

I use essential oils as perfume but the smell disappears in minutes. I also want to know how to keep my blends smelling fresh on the skin! I've noticed if I add some to my hair it will last longer, but still not too long. I don't know if there is a carrier oil or something that can be added?

Giving Love serves as a wonderful reminder that we already have an abundance of Love within, "it is in giving that we receive."
#12 of 16 Old 09-11-2010, 12:56 AM

This is old, but I couldn't help replying. I think it is two things...as others have said...first being patchouli and then maybe some natural deoderant. I use Toms of Maine with Calendula. It's very earthy smelling. I don't use much patchouli, but I sometimes burn incense. Could the earthy smell be sweat? My son swears that my sister and I smell the same, and he says this more often than not when we are a little sweaty. He loves the smell, saying it smells like dirt. I'm not sure that I found that very complimentary, but he did. : )

Vegetarian Hindu, mother to L,P and R. 
#13 of 16 Old 09-11-2010, 02:28 PM

I also think that the reason a lot of those women smell that way ( i always just smell like wood smoke or sweat) is also because they cook with yummy spices. I know my kitchen smells super crunchy. I also second the amber oil and nag champa.

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#14 of 16 Old 03-11-2011, 04:46 PM

I love that smell.  I have discovered that if I leave the lif off my box of essential oils, my room smells like that....but I can't seem to re-create it (even trying to combine all my oils doesn't work....sigh.

And CookiePie, I have the same problem. I;ve found if I dab some EO on my clothes it lasts longer. however, even conventional perfumes with tons of chemicals don't last long on me. I figure it has to do with body chemistry. Some people seem to absorb smells better than others.

#15 of 16 Old 03-11-2011, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhiOrion View Post

Old spice should work on that as a commercial. "The hippie your woman could smell like"

ROTFLMAO.gif

Single Mama to Vincent 3/30/09
#16 of 16 Old 03-11-2011, 05:32 PM

Ditto, specifically Nag Champa incense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinupchamp View Post

All my crunchy mama friends who smell like that (I know EXACTLY what you are talking about) also burn a lot of incense in their homes. I think that has a lot to do with it.

DS 12/22/05 and DD 5/24/09

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page