Clearing adult acne -- naturally - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 30 Old 08-22-2010, 06:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have always struggled with acne since puberty, except for while pregnant. Even when I was nursing more, it was less than it is now. But, here I am back with a broken out face, at almost 31. My skin is very sensitive, not oily. I currently wash it with Avalon Organic's Gel Cleanser and use rosewater as a very light moisturizer. I spot treat with a salicylic acid gel, but really wish I could find something else.

How can I clear up my skin with something listed as safe by the Environmental Work Group in their Skin Deep database?

Happy wife to DH superhero.gifand mama to DS signcirc1.gif11/05 and DD energy.gif8/07.
#2 of 30 Old 08-22-2010, 07:09 PM

I've been using honey for about two weeks now, and my skin has been really clear. AND in that time I've stopped taking birth control, and gotten my period which I thought would absolutly wreck my skin like it usually does, but I got *one* itty bitty pimple, which didn't even get to the red and scary phase.
I'd say give it a shot, you probably already have honey in the house. Sometimes I make a runny paste with honey as baking soda for a light scrub too.
I don't even really need a moisturizer after.
#3 of 30 Old 08-22-2010, 08:36 PM

I don't know how natural is it but, glycolic acid has done absolute wonders for my skin. I've always struggled with acne but, over the past couple years it's gotten so much worse. The past month was the worst it's ever been on my chin. Nothing I did would get rid of it.

Then I read about glycolic acid and I decided to try it and it's made a world of difference. Everything is healing and going away, scars are fading, no new pimples etc...

I bought a product called something like skin souffle or some such by Alpha Hydrox. But, you can get straight glycolic acid from Amazon in varying stregnths.

I know dermatoligists recommend it for repairing skin damage.
#4 of 30 Old 08-23-2010, 12:07 AM

Oh durnit! The innerwebz ate my reply. ok, here's the short version:

1. Test for food sensitivities

2. Exfoliate. Glycolic acid is usually the most effective with acne. A peel once a week for 3-6 weeks is typical, then down to once a month or perhaps less

3. Make sure your daily cleanse is super gentle. Squeaky clean is too clean, especially for sensitive skin. It strips away your natural protective barrier. A deeper clean now and then is fine, like with a glycolic peel.

I hope you find something that works for you. I understand the frustration and even the physical pain that comes with adult acne
#5 of 30 Old 08-23-2010, 09:42 AM - Thread Starter

After looking up glycolic acid, it really is a last resort for me. Is there something less harsh that might work?

I have put honey in the bathroom so I can wash with it next time I shower.

Happy wife to DH superhero.gifand mama to DS signcirc1.gif11/05 and DD energy.gif8/07.
#6 of 30 Old 08-23-2010, 10:04 AM

I have found using honey or a mild facial soap to clean followed by diluted apple cider vinegar as a toner and olive oil as a moisturizer once a day has really calmed my skin down. I went from waking up with several new, deep zits a day to maybe getting one superficial zit a week if that. My skin still has some healing to do (only started two months ago), but I'm very happy with this new routine.

9/2011 items decluttered
#7 of 30 Old 08-23-2010, 12:30 PM

I've had really good luck using the Oil Cleansing Method (OCM).

50% castor oil
20% joboba oil
30% olive oil

I keep in the shower, smear it all over face, rub in good and then at end of shower rinse it off.

I also use a topical, mainly Arbonne's RE9 facial serum, but the oil cleansing method has worked great for me.
#8 of 30 Old 08-23-2010, 12:42 PM

Oatmeal and raw honey worked pretty well for me, however I still have occational break outs.
#9 of 30 Old 08-23-2010, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekingJoy View Post
After looking up glycolic acid, it really is a last resort for me. Is there something less harsh that might work?
I haven't found it to be harsh at all. I have very sensitive skin and I haven't had any problems with glycolic acid at all.

You can get varying strengths. I use Alpha Hydrox Skin Souffle and it has a 12% glycolic acid solution. I do experience a little tingling but, it goes away pretty quickly. I don't have any residual dryness - my skin actually feels really smooth and I'm telling you, I started using it a week ago after over a month of serious breakouts on my chin - big ones, small ones, bleeding ones etc.... and the difference in a week is amazing. No new ones, all the ones I have are dried up and in the healing stage.

I do put the alpha hydrox on and then put a night cream on over top of it to help with any drying but, I haven't really had any.

During the day, I use a sunscreen over top of it.

You can get higher strengths on Amazon (and I'm sure other places) but, I've found the 12% works great for me - not too strong but, is really working.
#10 of 30 Old 08-23-2010, 12:44 PM

Does any kind of honey work or does it have to be super unprocessed?

Center
#11 of 30 Old 08-23-2010, 12:45 PM

I have only tried the raw honey so Im not sure.
#12 of 30 Old 08-23-2010, 02:52 PM

I've only tried regular cheap supermarket honey, so I guess either way it works. I figured raw would have more antibacterial qualities though, but that's just me figuring things based on nothing at all.
BTW, I use coconut oil for moisturizing when I do need a little something. Seriously though, just like a dab on each each, and one on my forehead.

Wikipedia states that tea tree oil can be used for acne, as can aspirin. I've heard of crushing up aspirin to make a paste, maybe you can look more into that?
#13 of 30 Old 08-24-2010, 11:31 AM

a honey and aspirin mask is supposed to be wonderful. also, msm & vitamin C taken together is excellent at healing your skin from the inside out.

homeschooling mama to DD 10 & DS 7 blogging.jpg

#14 of 30 Old 08-25-2010, 02:09 AM

Another vote for honey. I use whatever kind I have on hand-- local, raw, commercial, pasteurized, whatever-- and when I use it every day I DO NOT get pimples. When I lapse (because self-care has never been my forte) I get lots, especially before my period.

It's kind of amazing. It's also really easy, so I don't know why I have trouble maintaining the routine. There's a huuuuuuge thread around here called "wash your face with honey!!" that covers just about every detail you could ever dream up on the subject....

Pregnant and/or breastfeeding since May, 2004, with dd6, ds4, and dd born 9/11.
We homeschool.gif.
#15 of 30 Old 08-31-2010, 01:10 PM

Honey and aspirin masks work for me. Also, only wash with honey and moisturize with a little coconut oil.
Don't do things thst dry your skin out...that makes it worse.
#16 of 30 Old 08-31-2010, 02:27 PM

#17 of 30 Old 08-31-2010, 06:02 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
The raw honey worked for me, for a little while. What has really ended up working long-term is NOTHING. I wash my face with water only, no soap. I use minteral makeup, and just rinse it off with a wet washcloth. If I need to exfoliate, I use either the washcloth or raw honey that has crystallized a bit (you can also just add a bit of sugar to it if your honey isn't crystallized). Otherwise, it's water only.

I tried all kinds of scrubs (home made) and OCM, and different soaps, and lots of things worked to clear it up in the short term, but within a week or month my skin would start to break out again. Even with just using honey every day, my skin broke out, so now I use it 1-2 x/week max and leave it alone the rest of the time.

For moisturizer, I use raw coconut oil or vegetable glycerin, but not much. (Glycerin is literally 1 drop for my whole face, and I apply it while my skin is wet. It's better for nighttime moisturizing if you wear makeup during the day.)
#18 of 30 Old 08-31-2010, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swd12422 View Post
What has really ended up working long-term is NOTHING.
Sadly, I found out the same thing, but cycling through different methods seems to keep my acne "guessing" and a little more at bay. Mine is hormonal and will probably never go away 100% so I have to keep on top of it.

It's like when you plateu with weight loss and have to shake things up a bit to get it going again.

Center
#19 of 30 Old 08-31-2010, 11:40 PM

Cutting out dairy helped immensely for me and my husband. I highly recommend it!

Mom to Lovebug 2/10 and wife to DH.
Thrilled to debut our beautiful 2011 breastfeeding calendar! www.beautyofmothering.com
#20 of 30 Old 09-01-2010, 03:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicky85 View Post
Cutting out dairy helped immensely for me and my husband. I highly recommend it!
ditto

Veronika - loving my barefoot child living happily on the west coast shop Barefoot Books
#21 of 30 Old 09-01-2010, 11:46 AM

Actually, my (very mainstream) doctor told me to cut out wheat and dairy, and see if it cleared things up. It did, but I'm having a tough time leaving those two things out of my diet permanently.....

And when I said NOTHING works, I meant using water only and very little else (CO for moisturizer) IS working for me.... Sorry if I wasn't clear. No pun intended...
#22 of 30 Old 09-01-2010, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swd12422 View Post
And when I said NOTHING works, I meant using water only and very little else (CO for moisturizer) IS working for me.... Sorry if I wasn't clear. No pun intended...
Ah! Gotcha. Sorry, I misread.

Center
#23 of 30 Old 09-04-2010, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmbutts View Post
Oh durnit! The innerwebz ate my reply. ok, here's the short version:

1. Test for food sensitivities
This. I went gluten free and dairy free several years ago and my almost 24 years (from about 12 yo to 36 yo) of mild to severe acne cleared up. In fact, I noticed a lot of wonderful health benefits from ditching both of them. I believe, in fact, it was more the dairy that was responsible for the acne. Truth be told, I have never bothered to add them both back in my diet to test out that theory though.

Mother to 6

12, 11, 9, 6, 3, 1

Pray, Hope and Don't Worry

#24 of 30 Old 09-06-2010, 01:24 AM

I wrote a little blog about what I do for my acne. You can read it here.

My main weapons are honey, apple cider vinegar, lavender oil and tea tree oil. In my blog I stated that I use jojoba oil to moisturize. I have also used coconut oil with success and I am now using Mountain Rose Herbs Rose Oil that I got as a gift. I like it.

Jenn treehugger.gifmama to Monkeylearning.gifSquishyenergy.gif& Riverangel1.gif(8wks)Wife to Mikejog.gif See you at the rainbow1284.gif Bridge, Abigael cat.gifand McKenna dog2.gifgd.gifnamaste.giffamilybed2.gifbellyhair.gifcaffix.gifcrochetsmilie.gifom.gifknit.gifcomputergeek2.gif

#25 of 30 Old 09-07-2010, 03:37 PM

The only thing that has ever worked for me is presecription clindamycin foam. Would honey have the same antibiotic effect?

Tea tree oil never touched it btw
#26 of 30 Old 09-07-2010, 05:50 PM

I used to use Rx antibiotics, and they worked for a few months at a time. Topicals never worked, and neither did TTO (although it works great on the big, itchy pimples you can feel forming under the skin). Honey works a little bit for me, but not as the every day/only face wash thing. The best thing I've found is a 1-2x/week honey wash/scrub and water only the other days. Honey every day didn't work better than just 1-2x/week for me.
#27 of 30 Old 09-08-2010, 08:57 AM - Thread Starter

I have been trying honey and can't tell a difference yet. How long will it take?

Also, anyone use rosewater for a moisturizer? Thoughts?

#28 of 30 Old 09-10-2010, 05:18 AM

It took about 2 weeks for me. Then again, I guess I can't really give my experience, I also stopped eating meat and went off of hormonal BC at the same time, so take all that as you will.

I haven't used rosewater, I use a dab of coconut oil.
#29 of 30 Old 09-10-2010, 08:01 AM - Thread Starter

Quick update from the OP: my skin is much clearer now that I have been using honey for a few days.

#30 of 30 Old 09-13-2010, 04:30 AM

interesting thread! I suffer from major hormonal acne and I' always on the lookout for a cure other than the BC pill I had been taking for 11 years (!) before I had DS.
Honestly, BC made me a happier and much more secure person than I ever was before. When I went off it my skin got continually worse until I got pregnant and only cleared up in the third trimester. I stayed acne free until DS was 9mo and my period came pack, went downhill from there again and through the same spiel with my next pregnancy. my daughter was born three weeks ago and in the last few days my skin has been getting worse again

It's obviously all hormonal in my case... I found some interesting stuff on taking evening primrose orally to balance hormones and improve skin condition, so I'll try that and let you know. I also plan on using my placenta, both orally and I'll make some creams with the powder mixed in which is supposed to be really good for your skin too.

Has anybody had experience with the above? I'd love to know...
I had never heard of the honey before, I'll try that too.

Franziska , DW to )oi , SAHM to Noah 06/2008, Sophia 08/2010, and Junis 11/2012

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page