Best deoderant alternative! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 08-28-2010, 12:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just have to share. Wash twice, rub in a little coconut oil and pat on some cornstarch or arrowroot powder. I cannot believe how well it works! For the first time all summer I woke up without feeling self conscious about my smell. Yesterday was 103 with high humidity, I was in and out of my hot car most of the day and it held it's own!

I've used grocery store antiperspirant, baking soda, tea tree oil, the crystal stones, Tom's of Maine solid and roll on. The only one that was even close to as effective was the grocery store antipersirant, but preservatives and aluminum, etc plus the wierd residue it left, just were not for me.

Coconut oil is naturally antimicrobial and of course moisturizing, so when a little absorbancy is patted on top, it is my all time favorite for sure!

I got the idea from a new product I have on order called "Pit Putty". I haven't used it yet, but I may just keep it around for travel at this rate.

::: Mama to Feingold target: Sebastian(10/05) and Savannah, my allergy princess (b 6/08). Avoiding dairy, corn, soy, oats, sesame, eggs, nuts, seafood, and banana
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 08-28-2010, 10:17 AM

thanks! i will tell my husband. he has recently switched from his favorite anti-perspirant to tom's lately & he hates it. i will be sure to tell him to try this today! thanks!!

homeschooling mama to DD 10 & DS 7 blogging.jpg

#3 of 6 Old 08-28-2010, 10:22 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Good to know! We use the rock crystal ones. We have been reducing each day how many swipes under the arm we apply in the hopes to not use any at all (advice from our acupuncturist).

Thank you for the coconut tip!

'09   
#4 of 6 Old 09-04-2010, 04:42 PM

After I put on the coconut, I put a few drops of patchouli oil under each arm and rub in. That's it. I've never used the starch, though I suppose that might help to absorb wetness if one sweats.

I've used coconut oil for years as a deodorant with great success.

Mother to 6
13, 11, 9, 6, 4, 1
Pray, Hope and Don't Worry
#5 of 6 Old 09-06-2010, 01:27 AM

I started using coconut oil a little over a month ago. I had been using the crystal, but I dropped it and it got a little crack. Then that little crack got some mildew in it. Ewwwww. Natural deodorants like Tom's do not work for me. I started mixing just a tiny bit of coconut oil with a drop or two of lavender essential oil and it works well 99% of the time. Sometimes I sub the lavender with rose oil or chammomile. I once tried lemongrass, but it left me smelling like Pledge. The other two work well, but lavender seems to work the best.

Jenn treehugger.gifmama to Monkeylearning.gifSquishyenergy.gif& Riverangel1.gif(8wks)Wife to Mikejog.gif See you at the rainbow1284.gif Bridge, Abigael cat.gifand McKenna dog2.gifgd.gifnamaste.giffamilybed2.gifbellyhair.gifcaffix.gifcrochetsmilie.gifom.gifknit.gifcomputergeek2.gif

#6 of 6 Old 09-06-2010, 02:17 AM

TY TY TY for that awesome tip!

I use Kiss My Face or Tom's. Tom's newer scents have been eating the skin on my pits lately!

KMF and ToM work ok-- not great-- for me, if I use powder (arrowroot w a bit of soda and essential oil) at least once midway thru the day over top.

They do NOT work for ds1 (17) at all. Not at all. Yeah. No.

They work for ds2 (nearly 12) as long as he isn't playing sports-- then, not. at. all.

They work great for dd (9) bc umm, she doesn't need deoderant yet, but likes using it immensely, LOL.

I will test this on ds1 as soon as I get to the store for the coconut oil and report back. Good thing he doesn't mind being my herbalized guinea pig C;

Plus... think of the money we'll save if it works out for us!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page