DoTerra? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 5Likes

#31 of 42 Old 03-03-2013, 03:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Doterra essential oils are 100% natural and potent. I use them for a variety of health concerns, and they seem to be very, very effective. They are a bit pricy though. If you are interested, the website I buy them from sells the oils for much cheaper http://doterraoils4sale.com

#32 of 42 Old 03-08-2013, 06:56 PM

I order from ananda's apothacary.  Wholesale prices always.  With DoTerra, Young Living... I don't understand why you would want to pay extra for the MLM.  There actually no official grading system for theraputic EOs, so that whole thing is kind of a joke.  What matters is the information they give you about how it was grown, distilled... I picked ananda's because of those things.  The bottles should not say to not ingest them either.

KistheMum likes this.

Emily wild.gif

Mommy to Toad - 6/9/10  and making soap http://www.etsy.com/shop/almostartisan

#33 of 42 Old 03-18-2013, 04:31 PM

Yeah, I think no one should be ingesting essential oils without doing a lot of research and thinking very carefully about it.  The "oil" that comes from each plant is a specific chemical (or blend of chemicals).  Yes, it's "natural," but it can also be harmful if used inappropriately.  I think it's reckless for doTerra to claim that you can ingest their oils just because they're "pure."  Yeah, they're the pure chemical from the plant.  For example, much of peppermint oil is menthol.  Menthol can be toxic in large enough quantities.  Just because it's natural doesn't make it harmless!!

KistheMum likes this.
#34 of 42 Old 05-06-2013, 10:51 AM

I am a massage therapist so I use doTERRA essential oils as part of all my sessions. I spent months trying a researching products that I could use in my treatments as well to sell as a retail option for my clients and doTERRRA was the best option for my business. And the product line is selling well in my office.

The reason I went the MLM route as a small business owner is because I can't compete with the big box stores when it comes to retail. With an MLM people have to buy the products from a rep and that can have a lot of advantages for a small business owner who wants get into retail without dishes out $1000's of dollars and have that money tied up for months maybe years.

I also teach classes on how to use the essential oils at home. My classes are not about getting people to sign up, doTERRA is hardly ever mentioned in my classes. 

I do think MLM can be a great business for those that want to work from home, but it takes work ! And I always have a good long talk with people if they are interested in signing up, I want to make sure people understand the $$$$ commitment it takes to build a business. The MLM business model isn't the problem it's reps signing people up who shouldn't be in business that's the issue.

#35 of 42 Old 05-07-2013, 12:23 PM

I am a doTERRA rep so I realize that what I say here has no real influence... as you will assume that my invested interest clouds my judgment. However, what I am about to say has nothing to do with inspiring you to join an MLM or even buy from doTERRA, it is simply an invitation to explore the scientific data further before you assume that all oils are created equal or that it is potential harmfully to take oils internally. In Kurt Schnaubelt's book "The Healing Intelligence of Essential Oils" he addresses the safe practice of the internal use of essential oils. Kurt is not a doTERRA rep and he does not use doTERRA oils as far as I know.  I think he actually has his own oil company.

As far as the lack of grading on oils, that is true. There is no regulation and that is all the more reason to be 100% positive that you are purchasing oils that are pure. Otherwise you run the risk of using oils with additives, synthetics, pesticides, and heavy metals. Plus the whole focus for doTERRA is on scientific research and discovering the ways that oils can be grown and distilled to yield highly potent medicines.

I am just saying that you should really research essential oils, their chemistry and the industry practices before you blindly purchase and use any old oil, especially before you take it internally.

Side note, essential oils are in lots of foods and drinks to flavor them, so I am sorry to inform you but if you ever had a coke or enjoyed a peppermint candy you have ingested essential oils.

Check out this cool site: http://www.aromaticscience.com/

#36 of 42 Old 05-13-2013, 12:23 PM

Yes, EOs are in foods, but they're HIGHLY diluted. Some things are not poisonous when ingested in small enough quantities for your body to deal with.
#37 of 42 Old 07-11-2013, 09:51 AM

It is really nice to see so many intelligent people speaking out against both MLMs and a dishonest, unethical company like doTERRA.

Part of the reason I lost all respect for mothering.com was because of their endorsement of doTERRA in an issue of the mag right at the time Mothering quit delivering their print subscriptions without any notice.

Since then, I have actually told people I am buying their product in spite of them showing they are endorsed by mothering.com.

There is a lot of science behind essential oils.  In many places in Europe you go to a pharmacie first where it is more like a naturopath, not the doctor, and they give you things like homeopathics and essential oils.  They are more widely used and respected.  $50,000 - $100,000 / year boarding schools in Switzerland require the parents to supply homepathics for their children's use (if necessary) during the school year.  Medical doctors also give homeopathics and essential oils to treat various illnesses. 

It's in North America and England where people have come to buy into all the advertising dollars and the bad advice given by medical doctors who are paid by the pharmaceutical company to say something is good that winds up being taken off the market later.  Then the westerners think they stupid European doctor is crazy and they try to find an anglo doctor who will write them the prescription they want.  I can't tell you how many times I have seen this.

For every illness that exists, there is something in nature to treat it.  Burdock (crushed leaves, which releases the oils, directly applied) is the best treatment for poison ivy and burdock grows right along-side it.  Nature is amazing.  Pharmacology only attempts to replicate it in a way that is actually toxic to our bodies.

Do your own intelligent research.  Try some stuff.  Learn from your experiences.  Surround yourself with others and learn from their experience.  Don't trust people who's motivation is the almighty dollar they want out of your pocket and into theirs.  That includes any MLM or corporate entity.

ian'smommaya likes this.
#38 of 42 Old 07-11-2013, 09:54 AM

By the way... Does anybody else notice that the people who say doTERRA is so great only have two or three posts?

ian'smommaya likes this.
#39 of 42 Old 07-11-2013, 11:52 AM

I'm not a doterra rep - though I have bought a couple of their oils once online and was impressed despite the price.

Didn't even know it was an MLM.

There is a wholesaler in Portland where my parents live that have some good oils but the pure and organic ones are expensive too. I know it's not always true but sometimes higher prices and better quality do go together.

Pretty darn crunchy mama to Kiddo (2yo, DD), wife to Hubby, SAHM/aspiring writer/amateur sewist/lover of reading, traveling, music, natural parenting, unschooling, dogs, nature and more. Working on mindfulness and living in the present. Settled in Norway.

We familybed1.gifbftoddler.giffemalesling.GIFnamaste.gifselectivevax.gifsigncirc1.gifcd.gifhomeschool.gifand goorganic.jpg...

#40 of 42 Old 08-19-2013, 02:02 PM

Its a waste since once you try to start selling you realize people are just getting information from you then buying it on amazon since they allow the larger sellers to under sell and screw over the little guy by selling the item at cost or less...The products are not to bad, and the company is alright, except for the fact that they allow the little guy to get walked on like most companys now it seems, the little guy means nothing to them.... 

#41 of 42 Old 08-20-2013, 03:40 PM

As is business. Ever shop at Wal-Mart?
#42 of 42 Old 07-01-2014, 10:17 PM

Cool doTERRA

Bravo to doTERRa for creating jobs through their business strategy and for providing families with natural ways to treat ailments. This is a sharing and caring line of work and there is no better way to spread the product around. There is so much hating on doTERRA here and it is very sad because there are so many amazing success stories of how these oils have been effective and improved many people's quality of life.

That being said, I'm open to hearing more educated responses from others about some topics I am currently researching...

1. Does Utah have an awful reputation for supplements due to a lack of regulations in the state?

2. How common is it for companies to trademark their own claims (such as CPTG)? I don't disagree that is a marketing strategy, but is it a common and harmless marketing strategy?

Tags
Natural Body Care

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page