DoTerra? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 5Likes

#1 of 42 Old 08-30-2010, 11:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Anyone use/know about this company? I'm new to essential oils and for the price I'd like to make sure I'm getting good quality...
#2 of 42 Old 11-24-2010, 10:22 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

You have chosen a great company to buy essential oils from.  I have tried several and I trust doTerra more then any other company.  

In my family we use essential oils every day. I have a pitcher of water that always has wild orange or lemon in it, they help our bodies process toxins and to keep us smiling!  I use Balance which is an oil blend and lavender every night with my baby while we nurse to sleep, When she has a diaper rash I'm able to put lavender on her to sooth her.  

What I like about doterra is that their oils are CPTG, Certified Pure Therapeutic Grade.

What that means is this-they are 100% pure natural aromatic compounds extracted from plants. They do not contain fillers or artificial ingredients that would dilute their active qualities. Proper extraction and quality control methods also ensure that their oils are free of any contaminants such as pesticides or other chemical residues.

In addition to being 100% pure and natural, the essential oils are subjected to further quality testing that ensures the correct composition of the active natural compounds found in each oil!

I love these oils because I don't have to worry about putting them on my baby and harming her.  

I found this youtube video that you can watch if you want about what CPTG means-there are other videos but this is the shortest.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXI4pc8tmsg

I hope this helps.  I have been working with oils for a while and if you have any other questions please feel free to ask.  I love helping people with them!  
Have a great Thanksgiving.  

Kelly
www.mydoterra.com/naturallyhealthyfamilies/

#3 of 42 Old 06-21-2011, 06:03 AM

Please read this important warning about this company.   Hope you haven't already wasted any money on it.   http://www.doterra.ca/      

#4 of 42 Old 06-21-2011, 08:58 AM

I tried to go to your post but it would not open. 

I have been using doTerra oils for over a year now with my whole family and have never had any negative effects.  D you have specific complaints?

Thanks

Kelly

#5 of 42 Old 06-21-2011, 09:34 AM - Thread Starter

KistheMum, is that your website? How awful.

Thankfully, no, I have not ordered anything from them. Since I never got any feedback from my original OP, I figured there must be a reason. This would definitely be a good reason not to deal with them, in any capacity!

ian'smommaya and KistheMum like this.
#6 of 42 Old 06-21-2011, 12:10 PM

I'm glad I was able to help you save your money.  Yes, that is my husband and I's site.

I really do recommend using essential oils for all sorts of things.  I just think the environmentally and morally responsible thing is to buy from local sources.  If they are not using chemicals or pesticides, who cares if they pay the government extra money to be labelled organic so they have to charge you more??

Some oils you will have to buy from overseas because they simply can't be sourced locally.

If that is the situation, I highly recommend this company:  http://www.newdirectionsaromatics.com/

Their prices are very reasonable because they are not an MLM like doTERRA is.

I do not receive any funds for suggesting you purchase from them, unlike people who are trying to sell MLM on the forums.

There products are just as good if not better because the prices are so much more reasonable!!  :)

ian'smommaya likes this.
#7 of 42 Old 06-21-2011, 01:30 PM

http://www.newdirectionsaromatics.com/  are selling oils that are not pure or real essential oils. They state "Sandalwood nature identical essential oil has a rich, balsamic, sweet fragrance with delicate wood notes.

Nature identical essential oils are a blend of natural essential oils and aromatic compounds. They are a great alternative to pure essential oils for providing an identical aroma for your cosmetics, soaps, and candles at a fraction of the cost. When compared to fragrant oils that are 100% synthetic, nature identical oils have fewer synthetic compounds, whilst offering a superior aroma.

Note: Nature identical essential oils are not suited for aromatherapy and therapeutic applications."

I want to work with a company that sells pure and true essential oils! I use and prefer Doterra essential oils.

healthyfamilies likes this.
#8 of 42 Old 06-23-2011, 05:40 AM

I find it interesting the only posts supporting doTERRA are from parties selling it or their only post ever on the forum is to support doTERRA. I believe there are a lot of intelligent women out there who can see past the MLM marketing scam. I have never met anyone who endorses doTERRA who is not selling it or married to someone who is selling it. I also have never seen anyone sell doTERRA without putting down other products.  If their product is any good and not a ripoff why do they need to put everybody else down to sell it?  Enough said for me. We can all make our own decisions and live with the consequences.

NettleTea likes this.
#9 of 42 Old 06-23-2011, 07:36 AM - Thread Starter

I noticed that, too, which is why I never made the leap. I'm generally suspicious by nature, but when I posted the OP, I didn't realize it was a MLM scheme. Not that MLM = poor products, but it makes me leery if I can't find any satisfied customers.

KistheMum likes this.
#10 of 42 Old 06-23-2011, 10:01 PM

I've only seen the DoTerra name here on MDC in this thread and on the list of reviewed products; never anywhere else.

I have been purchasing and using essential oils for 15 years now. I like Nature's Gift and Camden-Grey and have an order in the making at Mountain Rose Herbs - for online sources. I also buy in person at the local health food stores: Aura Cacia (I dislike their bottles, tho) and Now (decent enough quality for many uses). I have also purchased Amrita from a local spa (good quality at a higher than average price, but I got hard-to-find locally EOs). I purchased The Happy Soul EOs (online) a couple years ago and they have since changed over to Green Chic (or something like that) and their EOs are good for cleaning, but the other online places tend to be cheaper and/or have a better selection.

I recommend trying a very few EOs that you buy locally first and seeing how much you actually use them before adding to your supply.

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

#11 of 42 Old 06-27-2011, 01:44 PM

I totally understand the distrust associated with MLM marketing.... it's weird at first glance and rightfully so, there are some screwed up companies out there.  For me and my community doTERRA has been nothing but a godsend. I like that they guarantee the purity of the oils and I like that the company rewards me on my purchases by giving me credit towards future purchases. We formed a study group over a year ago to help each other lean about using oils. We studied together every Wed night for the greater part of that year and as part of our research we priced some of the other brands, concerned that doTERRA was super expensive. We found that ML to ML they are not that much more expensive they are often in bigger bottles (15ML) so it can look that way at first glance. 

All that aside, the thing I resonate with the most with is all the education and resources I have found through doTERRA. The webinars and ongoing education are amazing, I feel so much more confident and informed about proper use. I hadn't heard of them either but we hadn't heard of them because they area new company. If you look at the founders you will see it is comprised of a lot of folks previously related to other oils companies who are committed to raising the bar in the development and research of essential oils as a part of natural and effective health care. 

Its been tough for me to vet out the products that are perfume trade and the products that are actually pure. I've had friends seriously injure themselves by using other brand oils and that freaks me out. Seriously, 3rd degree burns from Lavender oil is not ok!  I'm sure there are other companies out there committed to purity and I honestly wish there was more regulation and industry standard across the board to protect the consumer. I just don't don't want to gamble with my families health and safety.

In the end we all make the choices that we believe will support our families, as moms it's our job. It's why I spend time on discussion forums like this one and why I collect as much info as I can before making my choices. Clearly, I have chosen doTERRA and had nothing but success and positive results from that choice. I'm truly sorry to hear others had different results. 

My hope is that you don't knock a product solely due to it's sales strategy. MLM's are odd but they also offer some neat perks you just can't get from shopping a store or website. They can  also be  an excellent way for moms (like me) to have more time at home with their kids. I believe in raising my own daughter and the fact that I can use doTERRA oils to support the health and wellness of my family and supplement our economic health at the same time is a blessing.
HolisticWoman likes this.
#12 of 42 Old 07-21-2011, 04:41 PM

I actually did not put down any product. I simply stated a fact that I gathered from the website of the company you recommended. I am into pure essential oils where ever they come from. Not imitation aromas. If you are going to recommend a good essential oil source, at least recommend a company that provides essential oils made from real plants.

Yes, everyone should make their own decisions and if you are wanting to use essential oils with your family, purity and safety should be your biggest concern. doTERRA is at the top of their game when it comes to purity, efficacy, and safety.  

I know tons of people that are not consultants for doTERRA, that love doTERRA. I also know of other essential oil companies that have good oils. I respect any company that goes the lengths doTERRA does to prove purity and therapeutic values. Unfortunately, there are not many companies that do go to these lengths. I am always hunting for good ones though, so please recommend them. I have recently discovered this company and will be buying some of there sample bottles to try. http://www.veriditasbotanicals.com/

The thing is doTERRA does 3rd party testing on every single batch of oil that they import. Bothe GC and MS test.  Many other companies may do this test but perhaps it is in house or only done once a year or every 10 years. Also, doTERRA is not just interested in the best price or the biggest profit. They are interested in therapeutic value and go to great lengths to source the highest quality oils.

I would also like to point out that if doTERRA were a scam or in anyway a less than awesome essential oil product, why would hospitals like the Vanderbilt Emergency room choose doTERRA over all others?

http://www.viddler.com/explore/doterra007/videos/96/

And why would Doctors and scientists  choose doTERRA oils as their subjects of study when proving the anti-viral properties of essential oils?

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21078173

#13 of 42 Old 07-22-2011, 03:29 PM

I noticed on their web site that they have 'free samples' so I ordered one. I will write a review on here when it arrives. I mostly use Mountain Rose Herbs for essential oils bur sometimes buy AuraCacia from the health food store so those will be the brands I compare them to, if I ever get the sample:)

be good family...

#14 of 42 Old 03-17-2012, 11:09 PM

doterra is so disingenuous with their claims of being better than other companies. I would give my home to any sale rep that can prove other oils have not heal like doterra. Or they are they have the only oils that can heal.

Essential oil have been around for centuries and have been healing people way before doterra. So please stop with the over sell. 

You have good oils. However, your prices are soooooooo out of line. And why? Because you try to sell as the only pure.

That is really a lie. But, what ever. lol

#15 of 42 Old 03-17-2012, 11:12 PM

By the way, I have been using essential oils for over 15 years and helping friends and family. Your claims are so sad. And why...because of $$$$.

Claims of the only pure oils...

#16 of 42 Old 03-17-2012, 11:15 PM

Bottom line, deterra is a MLM company and that is why they have to sell so high,. Not because of the oils. Please be honest.

#17 of 42 Old 04-04-2012, 05:16 PM

Probably the reason you never meet doTERRA customers who dont also sell it is because the oils really, really work! When you buy a kit you automatically enroll as a consultant. That just means you get wholesale prices and if anyone else wants to buy, they go under you. I started out  by getting a kit from my stepmom. I went in totally skeptical. But I ended up just amazed by how they were working, shared with my best friends and it totally took off beneath me. I didnt really do much but I was getting checks each week - hard to complain about that. People love them, they share and because of the way its set up you end up at least getting your oils paid for. Its really been a blessing to our family.

if you've used oils for years and you dont have an "wow! these are amazing!" kind of story, then you probably arent using good, quality oils.

Rachel: Jesus-loving, homeschooling mom to Noah (8), Caleb (6), Jayna (4), Abram (2) and Faith (8/10) candle.gif. Married 10 years to a wonderful man who puts up with all my researching and weird food
#18 of 42 Old 05-22-2012, 01:42 PM

I've been using essential oils for the past several years. The main ones I used were from the wholesale herb company my dad runs. They sell all over the world - I don't know if Mt. Rose Herbs buys essential oils from them, but I know that they do get some of their herbs from them, so they might use the same essential oils. 

Because my dad works for the company, he's ordered oils for me with his discount. I used a few other brands a few times - Young Living and AuraCacia, but was happy with my (heavily) discounted oils - I'm pretty frugal.

I actually signed up for doTERRA because a business coach I had been wanting to work with offered that as an option (so she could build her team), so I had never even tried the oils before I got my membership.

When I got the oils, I could tell a pretty big difference between them and the ones I'd been using for years. The doTERRA oils smelled way better and worked a lot better (mainly the tea tree, peppermint and lavender) for therapeutic purposes. 

I'm not thrilled that it's an MLM company - lots of inexperienced sales people have ruined MLM reputations over the years, so I'm pretty quiet about my membership. And my husband jokes that the Certified Pure Therapeutic Grade is a lot like Jeep's Trail Rating. But. They are pure and work really well. 

In most cases, for cleaning and aromatherapy purposes, any essential oils will do. But for therapeutic purposes, I prefer doTERRA because of my own experience.

I'm Nina. Writer, doula, student midwife, non-conformist. Follower of Jesus. Wife to one sexy fireman, mama to four adorable kids. Lover of simplicity. And babies.

#19 of 42 Old 06-28-2012, 11:21 AM

healthyfamilies, I applaud your initiative to do your own research. Would you mind substantiating your claim by sharing some quantifiable, objective data. Thanks!
#20 of 42 Old 11-01-2012, 12:48 PM

Hi Veronica63,  I also use doTERRA but try to never "diss" another e.o. company.  What I tell people is to read their labels.  If it says "do not ingest" or "for aromatherapy only" then you know it's not 100% pure.  If it's really pure then you can ingest it.  The FDA standard for essential oils used as "dietary supplements" is GRAS= Generally Regarded As Safe.  That is the rating that has been given by the FDA to doTERRA as well.  However, the doTERRA creators and scientific team wanted a better grade by their standards.  That's where the Certified Pure Therapeutic Grade comes in.  I'm not saying that doTERRA is the only pure oil out there, I'm just saying we all need to read our labels.

BTW, I am a business builder w/doTERRA and I have plenty of people in my down line who have been consistent users, whether they are Preferred Customers, Retail Customers or Wholesale Customers that are not business builders.  They just know that doTERRA works and they use it for themselves and their family's health.  Happy oiling!  (No matter which EO company you choose!)

#21 of 42 Old 11-09-2012, 10:00 AM

Hello there I am searching the web for somebody who had the same intuitions than me. I was introduced to doterra at a yogafit training, I was interested in essential oils, so i went to the workshop. Well, surprised surprised, the sells rep didn't know much about essential oils at all, just trying to sell products that she didn't know anything about... They lost me at "Lavender from High altitude in France", well I am french and raised in Provence, where the lavender is grown, and I can assure you it is not high altitude at all. So I had a question mark, but like everybody else I got caught and bought 3 products On guard, Breathe and slim and sassy. My husband said you should not ingest essential oils, and like a dummy I did, used half of the bottle of slim and sassy (the other half leaked out during mailing, god saving grace) as they recommend it, 3to5 drops in a glass of water, 3 times a day. Well well well, I kept on reading and searching essential oils materials, not sells Representative but real scientific books, and we should never ingest essential oils, who are at their pure state which means not diluted in a carrier oil, it would cause serious damage to the liver. Well nothing happen to me so far I feel fine, so it makes me believe that slim and sassy is far from being pure essential oil, it has to be mixed with something else for doterra to cover themselves up. The scary part is if someone decided to use their method of ingestion with a real pure essential oil, tictictic, time bomb ready to explode, really scary. And when i call their office, all they said oh yeah you can ingest them, I do it all the time and I am fine. That was powerful, don't you think ??? any way I don't sell oils, and I have no intention on doing so but I found a supplier that i trust, because I believe in the power of the essential oils to heal if used properly. An other test is if you dump some drops into the water, is the oil staying on top or is it disappearing ??? If it is gone and you can't see it, then it is not pure. And their so called CPTG, they made it up, there is no aromatherapy association that recognize it, it is just a marketing nail. I don't trust them and won't buy their products anymore.

#22 of 42 Old 11-14-2012, 12:25 PM

The reason why you haven't seen anyone post on here defending DoTERRA that doesn't sell the product them self's is because so many people love the product enough to stand behind it and promote/sell.

I am buying solely for myself right now and am going to become a consultant in a few months when I free up some time after school is over. -----No one has actually " put down" any other product that I have seen, they just stated the obvious fact - other oil companies arent selling "PURE" theraputic grade oils-- just oils with fillers... wich means you cannot ingest them-- AKA they contain poisons... Sorry but I am not going to drink poison.  

If you want to make your house smell pretty use what ever company you desire but if your going to put it in your body or yours kids body, be wise enough to research what those companies are selling. They say on their website not to ingest, they said it not just me.

I respect if someone is a skeptic about any product out there- thats good because that means you are not gullable. I am a major skeptic, and a really bad speller... but any how, that is why I took the time to look deep into the company to see how the oils are processed, I have been using the oils on myself first to see if they really do what they do... so far the Ongaurd got rid of my sore throat in less than a day and a half  and  2 other oils- (that i will not promote- so you dont think i am selling them)  have helped me get over my insomnia.  That is a miracle in itself and that is why I am no longer skepticle of the product.   I hope that every one finds a product they like, and dont forget to do the research. joy.gif

KistheMum likes this.
#23 of 42 Old 11-14-2012, 12:34 PM

There are only 2 oils that you should not ingest and that is the birch and the deep blue... an essential oil doesn't mean it is a greesy oil like the one you use to cook, its a micro oil meant to absorb into your skin and into the blood stream in about 30 seconds... think of it like  skinny oil and fatty oil.. i am a visualizer. thats why they use olean in chips because the oil cells are bigger than regular oil so they are harder to absorb in the digestive track.  so essential oils are even smaller than regular oils.

also if someone is saying not to ingest them it's most likely because most oils have filler and checmicals in them but this is pur from the plant.. you eat an orange- no different than ingesting the oil from that same orange.  I hope that helps

#24 of 42 Old 12-10-2012, 10:37 PM

SJ777:
Uh, yeah it is. The oil in an orange is in the rind. Perhaps you do, but I don't eat orange peels. Furthermore, see how much oil you can squeeze out of a single orange, you won't get much. Actually, you'll find about 0.2mL of extractable oil per average orange. That makes 5 oranges/mL and there are 30mL/oz so to get one ounce its just like eating 150 orange peels.
#25 of 42 Old 01-22-2013, 10:50 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

It is a MLM scams and there is zero scientific evidence why it would work for any of the illness and conditions it claims to work.

http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/index.php/doterra-multilevel-marketing-of-essential-oils/

ian'smommaya likes this.
#26 of 42 Old 01-23-2013, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swd12422 View Post

I noticed that, too, which is why I never made the leap. I'm generally suspicious by nature, but when I posted the OP, I didn't realize it was a MLM scheme. Not that MLM = poor products, but it makes me leery if I can't find any satisfied customers.

wow!  VERY BAD generalization based on ignorance of the industry.  MLM is not a "SCHEME" or a "SCAM", and many have EXCELLENT products. Do you know Avon is MLM? Arbonne? Mary Kay? AMway? tons and tons more. An MLM simpley means multi level marketing where you earn a small percentage on anyone who joins your team. 

If there is no product line, then it can be a "scam" but Doterra, Young Living, Xango,Shaklee, Trivita, all of these are MLM's..I'm sure you have heard of them and agree they make wonderful products....

The problme is that a comapny of these proprotions cannot regulate what the independent reps say or do so you can hear some false and hypy things. 

But many are with BBB and DSA, so they are all "legit" and make regulated and fantastic products

~Debra

HeartNSoulLiving.com

#27 of 42 Old 01-23-2013, 07:38 PM

When a company makes more money from recruiting new members than from selling their products they are flirting with the definition of a pyramid scheme. Yes, I do realize Avon, Mary Kay, and Amway are all MLMs. Amway is the mother of them all and even they don't make more from their products than from new members. The whole business is based on what you said they, "cannot regulate what the independent reps say." People will say anything they think will get you to sign up. They is no ignorance of the industry here. They don't care about their products, they want new members. I challenge you to find a member who has made a reasonable wage on selling the products alone.
Alenushka and KistheMum like this.
#28 of 42 Old 01-24-2013, 02:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by debraferrie View Post

wow!  VERY BAD generalization based on ignorance of the industry.  MLM is not a "SCHEME" or a "SCAM", and many have EXCELLENT products. Do you know Avon is MLM? Arbonne? Mary Kay? AMway? tons and tons more. An MLM simpley means multi level marketing where you earn a small percentage on anyone who joins your team. 

If there is no product line, then it can be a "scam" but Doterra, Young Living, Xango,Shaklee, Trivita, all of these are MLM's..I'm sure you have heard of them and agree they make wonderful products....

The problme is that a comapny of these proprotions cannot regulate what the independent reps say or do so you can hear some false and hypy things. 

But many are with BBB and DSA, so they are all "legit" and make regulated and fantastic products

Thanks for the compliment, but I'm not ignorant. The word "scheme" simply means a plan, design, or program of action to be followed. That's the context I was using. It IS an MLM scheme, as are the rest of the companies you listed. They have a set program that they follow, almost like a formula. You sign up x many people, you get y. You sell x many products, you get z. That is a scheme. I never said anything about it being a scam. They are not the same words. But I bet my ignorance didn't allow you to realize that.

And no, I don't agree that all those companies make wonderful products. I'm only familiar with Avon and Mary Kay products, and I'm not impressed. The rest I have no experience with and can't say if I agree that they do or don't make wonderful products. But thanks so much for putting words in my mouth and assuming I'm a moron.

Since I'm the OP, I'll just say what I said upthread: I have decided not to purchase from DoTerra so I can't provide anyone with any resolution to my original question. I appreciate all the helpful info that some of you have posted on here. And to this day, I  STILL have not found any satisfied customers outside the realm of this forum. That, to me, says a lot.

#29 of 42 Old 01-25-2013, 10:18 AM

High five! However, I think scam would work too. ; )
#30 of 42 Old 01-28-2013, 12:07 PM

I don't know. Scam isn't quite right. Dishonest, disreputable company that gives dangerous advice and produces a mediocre product at an unjustifiably high price...is more like it. You do get the product you pay for though. So, not quite "scam".... Even if they were of the quality they claim, I wouldn't be willing to do business with that company, though. I'd feel guilty by association or something.

I have known people in the past that used DoTerra, and know one person that's really into it now. From what I've seen their quality is about like Mountain Rose Herbs oils. Some are better than others, but all are decent and the quality is consistent. I used to use Lavender Lane, but they appear to have gone out of business, so I've been using Mountain Rose until I find something better. They're downright good enough (and some are as good as Lavender Lane), and fairly priced. I certainly wouldn't pay DoTerra's prices for their quality, though! lol 

KistheMum likes this.

Affordable organics delivered from GREEN POLKADOT BOX

Wife to jammin.gif Beast 

Mama to guitar.gif Crash (14) and hippie.gifSpritely (12)

Tags
Natural Body Care

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page