Does everyone shave their toes? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 106 Old 09-07-2010, 11:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Despite being from Massachusetts, where rumor has it toe-hair-shaving and general personal upkeep is SO out, I do shave my toes. I also shave the tops of my feet where a few hairs grow.

I don't recall anyone ever saying anything about this hair; it just seemed a logical thing when I was already shaving my legs anyway. I've never cut myself on my feet; knees and ankles are my problems.
#62 of 106 Old 09-08-2010, 12:03 AM

My hair is blonde and you can't see it and there isn't much there so I rarely shave my toes.

happy family!joy.gif we winner.jpgfemalesling.GIFnocirc.gif

#63 of 106 Old 09-08-2010, 04:28 AM

Wow, this is a great thread. Perfect before-bed reading, and even got me to post. You guys are hilarious!

I shaved my toes for about two years. It never occurred to me (I live in the frozen north and no-one ever saw my toes) until I was living in Texas and went to a waterpark with a bunch of other girls, who were disgusted by my (at least 5) dark toe hairs and made a big deal of it. Insecure, I obsessively shaved my toes for a few years. Then I got together with my now-husband, who thought shaving body hair in general was a waste of time, and I stopped shaving altogether. Since I've gotten out of junior college, no-one has even mentioned that until just this year. I certainly don't think it's worth shaving my toe hair for other people's sake, if they don't even see fit to mention my leg and armpit hair. But if it bothered me, I would shave it.

I love the "only shaving the toes" thing, that's fantastic!

On a farm with our kiddo (nearly 2), two dogs, two cats, ten goats, two donkeys, nine sheep, a bunch of chickens, and a husband (in the winters). We have another on the way!
#64 of 106 Old 09-08-2010, 02:34 PM

Now I feel rather funny- am I the only one shaving toes, feet, legs (whole legs!), arms, pits, and everywhere else?
#65 of 106 Old 09-08-2010, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by larablue View Post
Now I feel rather funny- am I the only one shaving toes, feet, legs (whole legs!), arms, pits, and everywhere else?
ARMS? Were you particularly hairy? I shave my legs, pits, and the big toes. I pluck my eyebrows underneath to shape them. I also shave my vulva if/when DH wants. It doesn't hurt, more of a time thing, so I don't mind.
Quote:
did you sort of take it upon yourself ("lalala I'm shaving my legs, lookie there, holey moley, there's a hair on my toe. Goodbye to you."
Pretty much this. Or, I think I might have been sunning myself at a lake and realized my toes were my hairiest part, having removed hair from bikini area and legs and underarm. Something like that.

It's not that the stay-at-home-parent gets to stay home with the kids. The kids get to stay home with a parent. Lucky Mom to DD1 (4 y) and DD2 (18 mo), Wife to Mercenary Dad
#66 of 106 Old 09-08-2010, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicole730 View Post
I shave my toe hair and top of my foot hair when I shave my legs - which is about once a week in the summer and once a month in winter.
this is what I do too, but sometimes I do my big toes/foot more frequently than once a month in the winter - I just grab the razor and do it dry when I cut my nails or whenever I think of it. It's such a small area that it takes no preparation to shave it.

I'd prefer not to shave at all but DH strongly prefers shaved legs/underarms. He's not the hippie I thought he was, long ago. LOL.
#67 of 106 Old 09-08-2010, 03:36 PM

lol no i dont
Posted via Mobile Device

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

#68 of 106 Old 09-08-2010, 03:39 PM

Location: back in the GREAT state of Minnesota! oh how i have missed you!
Quote:
i shave my legs, pits and i wax my brows and all of my pubic hair. it has nothing to do with DH or society for me. i feel cleaner when i am hairless...

this has got to be the best thread ever!

Your life doesnât change by the man whos elected. If your loved by someone you can't be rejected... decide what to be and go be it! If your a caged bird brake in and demand that somebody free it.
#69 of 106 Old 09-08-2010, 04:34 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
larablue - You're not alone. I do the same thing.

Normal is just a setting on your dryer.
#70 of 106 Old 09-08-2010, 05:00 PM

I have never even thought about shaving my toes! That's news to me

I only shave my legs and keep everything else trimmed up. Which is probably why I never thought about toes or other places....

S~ Peace loving, natural living, FuNkY vegan mama to Keiran bouncy.gif 23/Dec/06:
"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter" ~~ MLK
#71 of 106 Old 09-08-2010, 05:18 PM

I did, every once in awhile, as a teenager, because I had hairy hobbit toes. I thought I was really weird for doing so.

Now I don't shave anything (well, okay, I have this mole on my chin.... )
#72 of 106 Old 09-08-2010, 05:52 PM

The subject of women and body hair never ceases to amaze me... These tend to come up frequently on this forum and I am always surprised by *something* I read.... <shakes head and laughs>

I don't recall the first time I shaved or why. I do recall shaving my forearms as a teenager once. It was before visiting my mom for a month in Puerto Rico (I lived with my dad in NoCal at the time) and I recall the sun glinting off my then-golden hairs on my arm and somehow thinking it was unattractive. The one and only time I shaved my arms that I recall.

I recall as a young adult being informed about shaving breasts by a very forthright friend. She wasn't telling all of us to shave our breasts, but she unabashedly announced she had breast hair and how she took care of them. I was surprised, but found myself recalling it and doing the same thing years later.

I have shaved the hair off my toes a few times. I don't recall why or how it came about, though.

I've never shaved my pubic hair or back or butt or face or tops of my feet. Everything else has seen a razor at least once or twice. On a regular basis (several times a week), I shave my lower legs and under my arms. I have fair skin and med-dark hair. I shave around my knees and my thighs and belly more often than once or twice, but less often than several times a week.

I think that about covers my shaving habits, eh?

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

#73 of 106 Old 09-09-2010, 02:52 AM

Funny thread.. and no, it's never occured to me to shave my toes. I don't think they're hairy, but then again maybe I've never noticed. I'm almost curious enough to take off my socks.
#74 of 106 Old 09-09-2010, 03:03 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I don't shave much, but every once in awhile I'll decide to shave my legs or armpits. And sometimes I have shaved the hair on my big toe, just because there are only about 5 of them and they get long and look pretty dark. But I don't think I have toe hair anymore.
#75 of 106 Old 09-09-2010, 03:00 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Well, I do, but I'm a muppet. And I probably wouldn't bother if the baby didn't pull it and the big kids didn't make cracks about braiding it.
#76 of 106 Old 09-09-2010, 04:47 PM

I tweeze them when they get long enough. They are black and noticeable and I wear flip flops pretty much all year long so I try to keep my hobbit feet tamed.
#77 of 106 Old 09-11-2010, 03:06 PM

Yes, I do. Just did this morning, actually! Once I switch to closed toe shoes it will become less frequent.

Jenn: WOHM to a big girl (7/03), a medium girl (8/07), and a little girl (12/10)
#78 of 106 Old 09-11-2010, 03:35 PM

This whole thread makes me laugh so hard! you all are funny funny! I especially love the ladies who only shave their toes... !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraN View Post
LOL! It had never occurred to me to shave my toes until I moved to NY and started having to wear stockings or socks all winter long. My toe hair has a way of getting caught in the fabric and getting pulled at all day so that by the end of the day the tops of my toes are swollen and in so much pain. When it finally occurred to me to shave them, the relief was amazing! From then on, I have shaved my toes only when it's cold enough to wear socks or stockings. (or if I have to wear hose for some occasion. Thanfully, I since moved to Miami and now Abu Dhabi, so I very seldom need to shave my toes anymore. Honestly, until this thread it had never occurred to me that anyone would shave their toes for aesthetic reasons!
Posted via Mobile Device

ZOMG!! I know!! The ONLY reason I shave my legs in winter time is b/c of the stocking effect. ouchie!

I am a really relaxed shaver. In my teens I was incredibly self-conscious about my body hair, and I started shaving my toes. I had a friend who shaved her arms which really wigged me out. Now, even though I live in a pretty image-conscious area (near DC) I barely shave. No more than once a week for my legs, preferably only once a month. Pits I do when I'm going sleeveless or my hubby starts cracking jokes. And toes, very occasionally, when I notice those hairs getting irritatingly long. Wish I'd never shaved them in the first place, they probably would have stayed fine and blond like my arm hair.

I trim the hair around my lady bits occasionally, but really, I like it wild and woolly down there.

><> I'm a Christian, knitting, sewing, cooking SAHM to the fearless adventurer Jack born 11/08, and  a  USCG wife
And we are joyfully awaiting a new addition in April 2011! <><
#79 of 106 Old 09-11-2010, 03:57 PM

Never even heard of shaving toes til now.

So, do ppl who toe-shave also shave their fingers?

Yes, yes.  I'm fabulous. loveeyes.gif  Moving on...

#80 of 106 Old 09-11-2010, 11:41 PM

huh.... It never even occured to me b/c I never noticed any hair on my my toes... but after reading this thread, I felt compelled to inspect my tootsies and guess what? There isn't one. single. hair. on any part of my foot. Not even light peach fuzz. Even on an up-close-to-my-nose inspection. OP, you might be weird for not shaving your toe, but am I weird for not even having hair on mine? lol

mommy to Christopher 2/29/08
#81 of 106 Old 09-12-2010, 11:25 AM

umm.. no. I shave my armpits & legs in the summer fairly regularly (maybe 2x a week), and in the spring/fall/winter sporadicly if I feel like looking extra 'nice' for a night out or a party or something... but no, I have never, ever, ever shaved my toe hairs.
#82 of 106 Old 09-12-2010, 12:00 PM

Lol!

I am a toe shaver, but fall into the coarse/dark/uncomfortable with socks category.

I shave my legs and underarms... Oh and my 'happy trail'... I used to shave my vulva but stopped when I lost sight of it during pregnancy and haven't since (talk about bushwhacking...it looks...overwhelming!)

This thread reminds me of being 11 and 'invited' to join mom in mustache bleaching. I remember dissolving into a fit of giggles with the two of us sitting in the bathroom with goopy white chemical 'stashes on!

mommy to Claire 4.21.10 and surprise! expecting someone new January 2013

#83 of 106 Old 09-12-2010, 12:04 PM

not even when I shaved.

Third generation WOHM. I work by choice.
#84 of 106 Old 09-12-2010, 05:36 PM

WHEN I shave my legs, I shave the couple of hairs that grow on both big toes, yes.
#85 of 106 Old 09-12-2010, 11:06 PM

Okay, the bit about breast/nipple hair completely threw me. I had to go check and see if I had any. I don't, in case anyone cares, but I had never heard of such a thing!

I never noticed hair on the tops of my feet or toes until about two years ago (I believe it was the year I turned 30). When I noticed it, it bothered me a bit until I got the bright idea of shaving/plucking. I don't shave it often, it isn't dark hair, it just bugs me a bit so I pluck it or shave if I see anything. I tend to shave lots of stuff, not arms or fingers though.

I was never taught that sort of thing either. I had to figure it out myself.

My DH doesn't care for body hair and he is the most unhairy guy ever. I have more arm hair than he does and I am not a very hairy person.
#86 of 106 Old 09-13-2010, 01:07 AM

ROFLMAO!! I was sitting here skimming MDC, and saw this thread. DH is sitting next to me, and I read the title, laughed and commented "yeah, I shave my toe hair too!". He started choking and almost turned purple - in the 10 years we've been together, he never once had a clue! It's just like 4 hairs on each, but it annoys me.
#87 of 106 Old 09-17-2010, 09:04 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
nope. only thing that doesn't get shaved I suppose is my arms. But then again, I'm a redhead and my body hair is either red or blonde. So even if I didn't shave it would be hard to find it. So I don't find the arms necessary to do, but everything else I pretty much keep up on weekly at least when I get the time(HA! I'm a single mom to 3. Time is a fleeting thing.).

treehugger.gifjog.gifgreenthumb.gifknit.gifnamaste.gif

#88 of 106 Old 09-18-2010, 02:31 PM

I pluck it out with tweezers. There are only a few hairs but they are dark and get fairly long.

I just recently stopped shaving my arms. I had been shaving them since I was 14. I was surprised to realize that my arm hair is fine and very light. I remember it being dark and thick. I don't know if it changed or if I overreacted at 14.

Melissa- mom to a boy 9/06 and a new boy 11/10 and married to my best friend 7/02
#89 of 106 Old 09-22-2010, 01:27 AM

A. Yes I do.

B. I thought I was the only one.

#90 of 106 Old 09-22-2010, 02:46 AM

I do if Im going to someplace really special like the Marine Corps Ball or the like. I get a pedicure maybe 1-2 times a year and if I remember I will shave my toes for that, just because I don't like people touching the toe hair (for some reason it is a sensitive area for me).

I don't consider it revolting or something that HAS to be done.. It is just something I do occassionally.

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005

Tags
Natural Body Care

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page