Does everyone shave their toes? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 106 Old 09-07-2010, 03:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My mother came to visit, and while she has been known to drop these kinds of bombs on my head before (told my skinny self all my life that my stomach is so big I look pregnant, so I spent my adolescence hiding my body and sucking in my gut ALL THE TIME, which is so uncomfortable I would limit certain activities so I didn't have to deal with so much discomfort - now that I'm fat I don't hear that anymore, go figure), this was a new one.

While I was talking to her, and I had my sandaled feet up near her, she suddenly grabbed some hair on my big toe and pulled. I yelped. She laughed and said "you should really shave that." I said "wow, that sounds pretty painful." She said "EVERYBODY shaves their toe hair."

So, this was total news to me. She didn't mention this apparently critical hygiene requirement at any point during my adolescence or anytime at all until now that I'm 33.

I'm curious. Do you shave your toes? Do you think everyone does? Do you look for toe hair? Is it revolting? How much does it hurt to shave it over the little bumps and wrinkles? Ingrown hair problems? Do you wax (holy ouch!)?

Nothing you all can say - even if every single person replies "of course I shave my toes, don't you? if not, that's disgusting" - will convince me to shave my toe hair, so this is merely curiosity. For me, it's simply not going to happen.

Homeschooling mama to 6 year old DD.

#2 of 106 Old 09-07-2010, 03:18 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I don't. but I barely shave anywhere.

Texmati-- Knitter, Hindu, vegetarian, WOHM. Wife to superdadsuperhero.gif and mom to DS babyf.gif24 months, and DD boc.gif 8 months! .

#3 of 106 Old 09-07-2010, 03:20 PM

you're supposed to shave toe hair? huh. news to me. never done it, dont plan it. can't say I know anyone who's done it, and me and my friends do talk alot about shaving/waxing/sugaring, lol.
#4 of 106 Old 09-07-2010, 03:21 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have since I started shaving... my BFF thought it was weird then so no, I don't think that everyone does, nor do I I think its gross if people dont...
Ive cut myself maybe once and it does not take a lot of caution to avoid... I have got one ingrown hair...

This is a tree on fire with love, but it's still scary since most people think love only looks like one thing instead of the whole world. *
#5 of 106 Old 09-07-2010, 03:26 PM

I used to. I thought I 'had' to.

But I've since come to terms with my body hair and now I don't shave anywhere.

Pregnant and/or Breastfeeding since 2005
Mama to two girls: 5/06 and 3/09
#6 of 106 Old 09-07-2010, 03:26 PM

Well, this is the area I am "least cruncy" in (does that even make sense? lol), meaning I shave everywhere so...yes, I shave my big toes. However, I think toe shavers are in the minority, it's not revolting if not shaved (I mean, I get a few hairs, I can't imagine anyone with extensive hair growth on their toes that would clasify as revolting...lol), and no, it doesn't hurt. I do it usually as an afterthought when I notice some have sprouted, it's not part of the regular routine.

I'm sorry your mom treated you that way not cool...

Momma to one and 3 furbabies, one resting free of pain at the Rainbow Bridge
Lover of the planet ~ Educator and Multi-Tasker Extraordinaire
#7 of 106 Old 09-07-2010, 03:26 PM

I did back when I shaved. I have not shaved my legs or armpits in almost 3 years, but my feeling at the time was it either all goes or all stays.

oAlisha- eternal companion to mike:, mother to three energetic boys (02):, (05), and (07) and one sweet little girl 3/13.  Two in heaven.7/21/2010, 11/05/2011 mecry.gif.

#8 of 106 Old 09-07-2010, 03:30 PM

I shave my toe hair....always have. But I have terribly coarse, almost black hair so it really shows up if I don't. Doesn't hurt at all. I don't try to get a super, close, smooth shave; just enough off so I don't look like a neanderthal.

I never paid attention to whether other people do or not so it's just a personal thing.

Think I've nicked myself once....I'm way worse with that little divet just behind my ankle bone! THAT little place is a challenge for me to get.

Center
#9 of 106 Old 09-07-2010, 03:33 PM

I do, it's one of the few parts of my body where I actually have dark hair. I like the look of nice smooth legs and feet.
#10 of 106 Old 09-07-2010, 03:35 PM

Um........no. I do shave my legs and pits regularly. But I do not shave my toes:
#11 of 106 Old 09-07-2010, 03:41 PM

Some people do, some people don't. I guess it depends on how hairy one's toes are and what one's attitude toward the hair is.

I shave my legs and armpits if I feel like it and don't if I don't... I can't see hair on my toes unless I bring my foot up to my face and really look, so it has never occurred to me to do any hair removal on them.

Honestly, I think hypercritical moms are the only people who look at/care about other women's toe hair. It's sad that some moms are that way.
#12 of 106 Old 09-07-2010, 03:45 PM

Sure do... I shave my big toe, and run the razor over the top of my foot. I've seen how long it gets when i don't. Wasn't pretty

Jenni Wife to Jason and Mommy to Enza 9/08 energy.gifand Grayson 1/11 h20homebirth.gif   novaxnocirc.gif lactivist.gif

#13 of 106 Old 09-07-2010, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappilyEvrAfter View Post
I shave my toe hair....always have. But I have terribly coarse, almost black hair so it really shows up if I don't. Doesn't hurt at all. I don't try to get a super, close, smooth shave; just enough off so I don't look like a neanderthal.

I never paid attention to whether other people do or not so it's just a personal thing.

Think I've nicked myself once....I'm way worse with that little divet just behind my ankle bone! THAT little place is a challenge for me to get.
What she said, granted I don't do it regularly, more when I start to notice. I also have random hairs on the top of my feet as well.

wife of 8 years to DH geek.gif, mama to DD blahblah.gif (2006) & DS jog.gif (2011) angel1.gif (Dec. 2012) rainbow1284.gif due Nov. 2013 

vbac.gifh20homebirth.gif cd.gif homeschool.gif

#14 of 106 Old 09-07-2010, 04:03 PM

My first boyfriend ever told me that most women shave their backs.
#15 of 106 Old 09-07-2010, 04:08 PM

I have about 3 dark hairs on each big toe, so I give them a quick shave when I think about it- not daily. I don't shave any other toes or the top of my foot because there is only light fuzz if anything. I've never cut myself- I just do the teeny spot with a couple of dark hairs. If they all had light hair I probably wouldn't bother.

Part-time L&D RN and Full-time Mama to Xander 4/01 & Carly 6/08
#16 of 106 Old 09-07-2010, 04:12 PM

Location: back in the GREAT state of Minnesota! oh how i have missed you!
Quote:
So, this was total news to me. She didn't mention this apparently critical hygiene requirement at any point during my adolescence or anytime at all until now that I'm 33.
ok this made me laugh...

no i dont shave my toes. and i will say i am hairless most of the time EVERYWHERE else.

after reading other post, i should add... i have very fine, light hair. and i JUST looked at my toes and just now, at 26 see hair that i never noticed before. i will still NOT shave my toes. but can see why some people do. and on the phone with my sister who has very dark hair said she shaves her toes because its dark and you can see it.

so its a personal thing, i think.

Your life doesnât change by the man whos elected. If your loved by someone you can't be rejected... decide what to be and go be it! If your a caged bird brake in and demand that somebody free it.
#17 of 106 Old 09-07-2010, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Lo View Post
Sure do... I shave my big toe, and run the razor over the top of my foot. I've seen how long it gets when i don't. Wasn't pretty
That. I always shave my toes if I'm shaving my legs.
#18 of 106 Old 09-07-2010, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azdesertrn View Post
I have about 3 dark hairs on each big toe, so I give them a quick shave when I think about it- not daily. I don't shave any other toes or the top of my foot because there is only light fuzz if anything. I've never cut myself- I just do the teeny spot with a couple of dark hairs. If they all had light hair I probably wouldn't bother.

mama to one '07 and one '09
#19 of 106 Old 09-07-2010, 04:16 PM

I wax them off. Mine are crazy dark and annoy me.

Happy wife to DH superhero.gifand mama to DS signcirc1.gif11/05 and DD energy.gif8/07.
#20 of 106 Old 09-07-2010, 04:27 PM

I shave mine because they are really hairy but I was actually embarrassed. I thought hardly anyone else did that.

I'm sorry about your mom. She sounds like a real piece of work.

It's not that the stay-at-home-parent gets to stay home with the kids. The kids get to stay home with a parent. Lucky Mom to DD1 (4 y) and DD2 (18 mo), Wife to Mercenary Dad
#21 of 106 Old 09-07-2010, 04:32 PM

Sometimes I do - but with an electric razor, so no chance of pain. I wear sandals most of the year, and prefer my toes w/o any hairs.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#22 of 106 Old 09-07-2010, 04:35 PM

Yup. But wish I had never started. When I was a self conscious pre-teen my friend told me it was gross that I didn't. So I started. Keep doing it because I can't stand the stubble. Wish I would have realized back them that the issue was more critical (lol) for her Native American self than my Scandinavian self.
Posted via Mobile Device
#23 of 106 Old 09-07-2010, 04:46 PM

LOL! It had never occurred to me to shave my toes until I moved to NY and started having to wear stockings or socks all winter long. My toe hair has a way of getting caught in the fabric and getting pulled at all day so that by the end of the day the tops of my toes are swollen and in so much pain. When it finally occurred to me to shave them, the relief was amazing! From then on, I have shaved my toes only when it's cold enough to wear socks or stockings. (or if I have to wear hose for some occasion. Thanfully, I since moved to Miami and now Abu Dhabi, so I very seldom need to shave my toes anymore. Honestly, until this thread it had never occurred to me that anyone would shave their toes for aesthetic reasons!
Posted via Mobile Device

DS1: 2/02 ROTFLMAO.gif DD: 9/04 blahblah.gif DS2: 9/07jog.gif and EDD: 11/13 belly.gif

#24 of 106 Old 09-07-2010, 04:47 PM
2xy

I don't shave my toes but the hair on them is blonde and you can barely see it. I hardly even shave my legs, to be honest. Maybe once a week in the summer and less in the winter. Pits and other areas get all my razor's attention.
#25 of 106 Old 09-07-2010, 04:52 PM

i never knew i had toe hair until i had a pedicure once where they waxed it. i've had a number of pedis over the years but no one ever said or did anything about it. now that i know i have it, i don't like the fact that i have toe hair. however, i don't do anything to remove it. i figure it's too insignificant an issue to do anything about it.

aside: i also have knuckle hair. i assume most people do. i also hate my knuckle hair. i have on rare occasion plucked my knuckle hair, but that's cause i'm weird and like to pluck things.

hoping for a !
#26 of 106 Old 09-07-2010, 04:55 PM

I shave my toe hair and top of my foot hair when I shave my legs - which is about once a week in the summer and once a month in winter.

Mama to three

#27 of 106 Old 09-07-2010, 05:00 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I've never even thought about shaving it before I read this thread!

Chaotic uc.jpg homeschool.gif mama to 5 plus a bonus one on the way.  stork-suprise.gif

chicken3.gif

#28 of 106 Old 09-07-2010, 05:15 PM

LOL! I thought I was the only person in the world who did!

I do a quick swipe every couple of months or so, big toe only. The hairs are blond, but they do get kinda crazy-looking; so when I notice them, I get rid of them. Never had any issues, other than thinking I was weird for doing it! Glad to know I'm not alone!

Mi vida loca: full-time WOHM, frugalista, foodie wannabe, 10+ years of TCOYF 

R-E-S-P-E-C-T spells BRAND NEW User Agreement!!

#29 of 106 Old 09-07-2010, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosaic View Post
LOL! I thought I was the only person in the world who did!

I do a quick swipe every couple of months or so, big toe only. The hairs are blond, but they do get kinda crazy-looking; so when I notice them, I get rid of them. Never had any issues, other than thinking I was weird for doing it! Glad to know I'm not alone!
This is what I do.

Mother to 6

12, 11, 9, 6, 3, 1

Pray, Hope and Don't Worry

#30 of 106 Old 09-07-2010, 05:22 PM

This thread is just cracking me up...forgot to add, I occasionally (more rarely than the big toes) also shave the top of my foot...

Honestly, though...just LOL'ing...great thread!

If only I could explain adequately enough the one and only time I attempted "home waxing" to explain why I shave these small spots of fur...let's just say it wasn't my foot that was the focus and it involved a microwave, a full length mirror, and a bottle of wine...mental pic is priceless...

Momma to one and 3 furbabies, one resting free of pain at the Rainbow Bridge
Lover of the planet ~ Educator and Multi-Tasker Extraordinaire

Tags
Natural Body Care

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page