family cloth and herpes - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 09-07-2010, 03:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yeah, good one right?

I have a large stockpile of cloth baby wipes that I would like to start using when I pee, mostly to avoid the linty girl parts and hopefully slow down on the massive amounts of tp we are going through. I do however have genital herpes with extremely infrequent breakouts (maybe once a year at this point). I was hoping to wash the cloth with ds's diapers, but I am concerned that the virus could survive washing and possibly infect him. Any ideas or experience/knowledge?

Thx!
#2 of 4 Old 09-07-2010, 03:37 PM

Location: back in the GREAT state of Minnesota! oh how i have missed you!
i have no clue, but i am sure some mamas here will be able to help you.

what i do know is you are active with OR without and outbreak. very much more so with an active outbreak. so being sure to kill and virus at all times is a must.

what type of washer do you have? the one i have has a disinfecting setting that gets REALLY hot. i am sure something like that would kill most anything.

hope you get the advice you are looking for!

to MDC, by the way. you will find a wealth of smart cookies on this site. they are the best!

Your life doesnât change by the man whos elected. If your loved by someone you can't be rejected... decide what to be and go be it! If your a caged bird brake in and demand that somebody free it.
#3 of 4 Old 09-07-2010, 04:20 PM

Interesting question. A quick search tells me that the virus should not live through laundering. (But don't share wet bath towels etc.. with family)

http://www.famvir.com/info/living/he...61991483231626

"Washing towels, underwear, and other intimate articles with regular soap or detergent will effectively kill the herpes virus. No special antiviral disinfectants are necessary."

Several sources also said that hand towels that remain moist can transmit it, but that the virus quickly breaks down on dry towels.

Part-time L&D RN and Full-time Mama to Xander 4/01 & Carly 6/08
#4 of 4 Old 09-07-2010, 05:35 PM

I would assume that being thoroughly dried (after washing, of course) would be the key. Possibly line-dried, if you can manage that. The sun is a great disinfectant.

A quick Google search shows that herpes does not live very long at all outside of the body. I imagine you'd be fine.

Homeschooling mama to 6 year old DD.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page