All natural/organic face lotion and wash? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 33 Old 09-14-2010, 10:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am in need of some new facial lotion and wash. I want to keep it all natural/organic and I do check Skin Deep site to see the ratings. I don't want to spend tons of money but spending $15 for each thing is ok for me.

What do you recommend? Where do you buy it?

Thanks!

Lynn, wife to Jason  SAHM to Nate, Riley and Jon
#2 of 33 Old 09-16-2010, 02:23 AM

Sorry I don't have an answer for you but I did want to say thanks for the Skin Deep resource. I was looking to start changing out my own beauty products since I'm making the effort to use non-toxic products.
#3 of 33 Old 09-16-2010, 10:46 PM

I started using Dr. Weil's Mushroom serum and it has changed my face. Lines erased and I have an amazing glow. I have serum, and mushroom lotion. Incredible. Its pricey but it WORKS and its your face. Your face is worth it.
#4 of 33 Old 09-17-2010, 11:59 AM

I've become quite an addict of 100% Pure.
Their stuff is pricey but I really love it. Usually they run some promo that makes it a bit less expensive.
In addition to using their face lotions, I love their body lotions and body washes. My daughter LOVES the lotions and I use their bubble bath for her. Gotta buy on sale though.
Good luck!
#5 of 33 Old 09-17-2010, 01:02 PM

I use the Juice Organics face wash and face lotion... love it!

Rachel, proud Army wife to my superhero.gif and SAHM to my crazy boys jumpers.gif... Trevor 4/08, Trenton 6/09 and Travis 10/10
#6 of 33 Old 09-17-2010, 04:46 PM

Have a look at the threads re wash your face with honey, oil cleansing method.

I can recommend both, although honey is not enough for me- I do it afterwards sometimes.
#7 of 33 Old 09-17-2010, 04:57 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Yes to honey and OCM.

What I'm using right now is Bronner's Baby Mild for washing and jojoba oil with a bit of lavender for "lotion".

Bring back the old MDC
#8 of 33 Old 09-17-2010, 11:24 PM

Check out www.kaylala.com Skin Deep just evaluated all their products and they average a 2 (and the ones that are higher are because of lavender and lanolin).

<>< Alison
#9 of 33 Old 09-17-2010, 11:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastrid View Post
Check out www.kaylala.com Skin Deep just evaluated all their products and they average a 2 (and the ones that are higher are because of lavender and lanolin).
Thanks! I took a look at the web site and found a few things I would love to get. The dinosaur eggs for sure and the Ouch Ointment. I have already book marked the site.

#10 of 33 Old 09-18-2010, 12:06 AM - Thread Starter

I hadn't noticed other people had responded to this post so I was excited to find other places to look!! I book marked the Juice Organics and the Kaylala site too. I will have to do a search on the Honey and the Oil cleaning method on here.

#11 of 33 Old 11-15-2010, 04:31 AM

I've always had adult acne, so I thought I HAD to have some kind of face wash.  A while after going no poo, I decided to just wash my face with a cloth and water and see what happened.  Well, my face didn't get any better, but it got no worse.  It is just the same!  So, now I just use water and scrub a little with a small round loofah.  Saves me time and money.  I would have never have thought it would work for me until I tried it.

Married to DH partners.gif since 2007. Mommy to babyboy.gif 7/2011.  We bfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif.

#12 of 33 Old 11-17-2010, 12:16 PM

This is something

so simple, and it's really helped my face become bright and clear.  I cut up a lemon and rub it on my face, let it sit through the one minute 'sting' and then for about 10 more minutes, then rinse with water.  Nothing could be cheaper- you can use one lemon and just cut off another slice for about four nights.  I also like using a gelcap of Vitamin E, just breaking it open and rubbing the oil into my skin at night- it's absorbed and moisturized by the next morning. 

#13 of 33 Old 11-17-2010, 07:44 PM

Anything Aubrey Organics is amazing. Around for so many years and really dependable. I know I can always buy any product and love the ingredients without having to analyze everytime!

#14 of 33 Old 11-24-2010, 02:53 PM

I buy my moisturizers and shampoos from www.bestorganicdeals.com. They have some of the best organic skin care products and they list the ingredients of the products which is great because from my years of buying organic products, some claim they are pure and organic when in fact they use preservatives and other chemicals. Good luck!!

#15 of 33 Old 12-20-2010, 10:58 AM

Are you opposed to making your own? If not here is a fabulous recipe smile.gif

3 parts honey 
4 parts finely ground almonds (gentle exfoliant)
1 part apple cider vinegar (toner)
1 part water
few drops lavender essential oil (anti-aging and anti-acne)

#16 of 33 Old 12-20-2010, 11:12 AM

Vitacost.com has great deals on natural and organic products. I like Earth Science brand for face wash and Burt's Bees carrot creme for moisturizer, although the carrot creme is fairly oily so probably not good for acne-prone, but great for those with winter-dry skin like me up here in Minnesota :)

#17 of 33 Old 12-22-2010, 11:46 AM

THE OCM is really very simple to make.  The reason it works is because oil cuts oil.  Just use jojoba (about 60-70%), which is very much like our own sebum and helps dissolve excess, and then either castor or hazelnut (30-40%), which are both astringent oils.  Then add just a bit of essential oil, whatever your preference.  1/2% is good for the face.

Apply to moist skin and massage in.  Wait a few minutes, then removed with warm water.

HTH

What we think we become.
#18 of 33 Old 12-27-2010, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you all for your responses!!  I am going to try the OCM so thank you to the ones who provided a recipe!

I also need a moisturizer for my legs and arms but again do not want something commercial.  Would the OCM work for my arms and legs too?  If not, I will look on some of the sites that were provided here.

#19 of 33 Old 12-28-2010, 08:05 AM

I've been using the OCM method for 1-2 years now. LOVE it! I've had acne since I was 8, so that's 30 years of experience of battling my own skin. OCM had done great things for me. I still wash with an exfloaint maybe 1x's a week, but use OCM or just water most days.

I've also rubbed the said oil into my whole body for a great mouisturizing treatment, so feel free to use on your body as well.

I use:

50% castor oil - goes deep into your skin

25% jojoba - close to natural sebum

20% olive oil - good anti-axoidants

5% apricot oil - good for fine lines

I don't measure when I make a new batch, but above is the guideline I try to follow when I pour the various oils into my oil bottle.

I keep it in the shower, shmear it all over face in the shower, rub it in, do the rest of my shower routine, and then rinse off. I normally just do water and a wash cloth at night in the sink if I didn't take a bath or shower that night.

#20 of 33 Old 12-28-2010, 09:38 AM - Thread Starter

Wow, 2 great recipes to try!  Thanks so much!  I do need to make a run to Whole foods soon so I will be looking for those oils.  I take it I can get all of them there?

#21 of 33 Old 12-28-2010, 09:40 AM

Yes, you could use the OCM all over your body, but you might try a simple combo of sunflower, apricot and jojoba oils (equal parts).  It works great by applying just before getting into the shower/bath or you can put it on moist skin after your shower/bath.

I'm not sure if WF has the ingredients, but I would imagine they do.

What we think we become.
#22 of 33 Old 12-28-2010, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starbuckmom View Post

Wow, 2 great recipes to try!  Thanks so much!  I do need to make a run to Whole foods soon so I will be looking for those oils.  I take it I can get all of them there?

I am sure you can find them at Whole Foods. I buy mine in a "like" natural foods type store that is cheaper than Whole Foods, but same type of a store basically.

#23 of 33 Old 12-28-2010, 09:29 PM - Thread Starter

I made my first batch of oils this evening.  I found jojoba oil and Almond oil at Whole Foods but didn't find castor oil but then again, I didn't look too hard for that one.  I had the olive oil on hand. 

It was nice to massage the oils into my face and lay a warm moist washcloth over my face for a few minutes too.  Kinda like a mini facial!!  I rubbed the oil into my hands too since they were dry.

Thanks to all who helped me!!  I am excited to see how this helps my face. 

#24 of 33 Old 12-29-2010, 10:12 AM

It does feel like a mini facial, doesn't it?

The purpose of the castor oil is for its astringent properties, which jojoba and olive oils do not have.  You might look for hazelnut, which is another oil with astringent properties.

Another good oil to use with castor or hazelnut is sunflower in place of olive oil.

What we think we become.
#25 of 33 Old 12-29-2010, 12:07 PM

Most grocery stores and Walmart carry castor oil in the pharmacy department.  I believe Walgreens does as well.  

jamie. crinkly (not quite crunchy) mama to 3 amazing little girls, an awesome little boy, and a baby girl making her debut at the end of this summer.

#26 of 33 Old 01-04-2011, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loves2Bake View Post

Are you opposed to making your own? If not here is a fabulous recipe smile.gif

3 parts honey 
4 parts finely ground almonds (gentle exfoliant)
1 part apple cider vinegar (toner)
1 part water
few drops lavender essential oil (anti-aging and anti-acne)

This is very appealing to me - never thought of adding almond... I always thought honey wasn't enough to scrub and I'm not a fan of sugary scrubs.

Do you moisturize after?

Also- and I'm sure this has been answered elsewhere bag.gif- I'm assuming this won't remove makeup?  I don't wear much but a tinted moisturizer and "natural" mascara now and then.

Thanks!!!

#27 of 33 Old 01-06-2011, 02:43 PM

You can't get more simple than this, and it works for me:

I do a face scrub with sea salt, which really exfoliates and is fantastic if you're prone to those tiny blackheads on your nose.

Then I rinse with warm water and follow with a honey mask. I try to leave it on for 10 minutes but even 1 minute is great. I rinse with cool water and my whole face is smooth, moisturized and glowy!

PPs have given lots of great suggestions too!
#28 of 33 Old 03-13-2011, 07:41 AM

Not sure what skin type you have but a Baking soda/water paste once a week really helps my skin, along with an apple cider vineger wipedown after.  Im 24 and have always had issues with acne until I found this, for my combination oily/dry skin.

#29 of 33 Old 03-13-2011, 09:07 PM

I also use the oil cleansing method.  My mixture is simply 80% EVOO and 20% castor oil.  At night, I massage it on my skin for at least 1 minute and then I use a hot towel to cover my face and let the heat open my pores.  Then I just wipe and done!  If my skin feels dry, I rub a little of the oil mixture on after washing.

1-2 times a week, I exfoliate in the shower with Burt's Bees Citrus Facial Scrub. 

My skin has never glowed the way it does now.  It just looks supple and healthy.  And I LOVE saving money on cleansers and lotions. 

#30 of 33 Old 03-14-2011, 11:00 AM

Dana, I bet you could make something similar to the citrus scrub and avoid the "fragrance" ingredient (whatever THAT is).

What we think we become.

Tags
Trukid Natural Friendly Face Wash 8oz , Desert Essence Thoroughly Clean Face Wash 32 Fl Oz Liquid , Natural , Natural Body Care

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page