family cloth question - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 27 Old 09-27-2010, 11:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
we just switched to FC!!! yay love it already but do you all use TP or FC when AF rolls around? if you use FC does it come out in the wash well?

Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

#2 of 27 Old 09-27-2010, 12:38 PM

I only use fc for pee pee wipes, not af or poop. I don't know how easily blood comes out, but bet if you soak the wipes in some oxygen bleach it would work just great.

Wife to amazing dh, mama to dd 12/08
#3 of 27 Old 09-27-2010, 12:42 PM

I use it for everything but poo. And (TMI) I particularly love it for AF. It's much softer and more comfortable. Also I use only one or two FC wipes instead of half a roll of TP.

Is that enough abbreviations? LOL

Mindful Spirit Expo is on April 21 and 22nd. Raise your consciousness!

Intuitive Encounters business merger means discounts for a limited time.

#4 of 27 Old 09-28-2010, 09:00 AM - Thread Starter

haha i know right. well the ones we have have a black microfiber side and a print side. so i use the black side to wipe with so there isnt any staining. I use it for #2 as long as its not diarrhea and DH is terrified of them altogether (not very crunchy haha) so the blood comes out in the wash alright? i was planning on rinsing them in hot water before putting them in the pail

Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

#5 of 27 Old 09-28-2010, 01:30 PM

I have red FC. so yeah, I use it for AF. plus, I'm the only one who uses it. If other folks used it, I'd probably keep some red ones for AF, cause you know, it's one thing to have a basket of cloth scraps but another if they're bloodstained. And my pads get bloodstained, I'm sure they would as well.

(they're just squares of red flannel I cut. It's holding up really well given I didn't finish the edges at all.)

Caroline, partner to J, post partum doula, kitchen manager, aspiring midwife, soon to be nursing student, mama to my furbaby, someday a mama to not so furry munchkins, G-d willing
#6 of 27 Old 09-28-2010, 02:06 PM

What does AF stand for???
#7 of 27 Old 09-28-2010, 02:40 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Essie View Post
What does AF stand for???
Aunt Flow.

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
#8 of 27 Old 09-28-2010, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by limabean View Post
Aunt Flow.
Oh!!!!!! LOL Thanks
#9 of 27 Old 09-28-2010, 08:37 PM - Thread Starter

duh how did i not think of havng speical AF ones lol

#10 of 27 Old 09-28-2010, 11:37 PM

they aren't really special ones... I just only had red ones until this afternoon when I cut up some cream fabric as well. now they're special ones, but I'll use them regularly, just reserving some red ones for AF.

Caroline, partner to J, post partum doula, kitchen manager, aspiring midwife, soon to be nursing student, mama to my furbaby, someday a mama to not so furry munchkins, G-d willing
#11 of 27 Old 09-29-2010, 03:52 AM

So, can I ask...how does the AF not soak through the cloth and into your clothes? I don't get it.
#12 of 27 Old 09-29-2010, 10:55 AM

Quote:
So, can I ask...how does the AF not soak through the cloth and into your clothes? I don't get it.
Do you mean when it comes to cloth pads or family cloth (i.e. cloth TP)? I think on this thread it's the latter that is being discussed. But if you are asking about cloth menstrual pads, they typically have a waterproofing layer at the back that prevents the blood from getting through to your undies.
#13 of 27 Old 09-29-2010, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola_ View Post
Do you mean when it comes to cloth pads or family cloth (i.e. cloth TP)? I think on this thread it's the latter that is being discussed. But if you are asking about cloth menstrual pads, they typically have a waterproofing layer at the back that prevents the blood from getting through to your undies.
My cloth pads are not waterproof. They are just cloth. I have two inserts usually in mine and the blood does not soak through. Eventually you learn how heavy your flow is and can adjust. I use GladRags.

ribbonpurple.gif  "And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more than the risk it took to blossom." Anais Nin

#14 of 27 Old 09-29-2010, 01:53 PM

with cloth tp (aka fc), your just wiping, so it doesn't have time to soak through. most of my cloth pads aren't waterproofed either (some sort of are). most of them are just absorbant enough and I know when to change them. I love the ones with a wool backing for a little waterresistance though. I also have several with fleece backing for water resistance which is great for heavy days.

#15 of 27 Old 09-29-2010, 04:42 PM

Thanks for the answers on the af pads. Now I get it! So I guess that means you really do have to avoid certain things like swimming in a pool?????????? what if you just really need a tampon? do you give in or?
#16 of 27 Old 09-29-2010, 05:22 PM - Thread Starter

have you tried a diva cup?

#17 of 27 Old 09-29-2010, 06:03 PM

There are some months where I use disposable because it is easier than rinsing, washing, etc. I tend to get yeast infections those times, though, so I try to only use cloth.

Cloth pads are way more comfortable for me. I think I am allergic to disposables. If I want to swim, then, yes, I would wear a tampon. I keep some tampons and pads on hand. But mostly, I love my cloth.
Brendalee likes this.

ribbonpurple.gif  "And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more than the risk it took to blossom." Anais Nin

#18 of 27 Old 09-29-2010, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the answers on the af pads. Now I get it! So I guess that means you really do have to avoid certain things like swimming in a pool?????????? what if you just really need a tampon? do you give in or?
I actually am not that big on pads in general so I mostly use a Diva Cup with cloth pads for the light days and backup protection. It's even better than tampons IMO.

And some times disposable products (of whatever kind) are just so much easier in a certain situation. There's no rule that you have to use 100% reusables, but every bit helps.
#19 of 27 Old 09-29-2010, 08:34 PM

I only use disposables if I'm out somewhere and am caught by surprise and don't have a pad on me, or bleed heavier than I expect and run out. I prefer not to though.

Yes, I don't swim on my period. I can't use tampons, and haven't been able to set aside money to try a mooncup yet. I used to swim, using tampons, but I can't use them anymore. cloth pads are no different than sposies in that regard.

#20 of 27 Old 09-30-2010, 02:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sosurreal09 View Post
have you tried a diva cup?
No. I've heard of it. What is it made of? I imagine something like a diaphragm. Is that what it's like?
#21 of 27 Old 09-30-2010, 02:14 AM

I rinse my wipe off in cold water before putting it in the wetbag I keep in the bathroom for family cloth during af.
#22 of 27 Old 09-30-2010, 10:27 AM

I use family cloth for pee, AF and especially poo although I am guilty of pre wiping with a little TP before wiping poo. FC just leaves me feeling so clean I hate it when I am away from home and have to use TP to wipe. Luckily my MIL and SIL both use FC and when we go on holiday I take FC with me!

Essie - I made my own pads out of flannel that do bleed through on my heavy days so I started sticking a small rectangle of felted sweater between the pad and my undies and it has stopped that problem. I am going to make new ones soon (actually they are cut just not sewn together yet) with cotton on the side that touches me and a thin layer of old woolen blanket that touches the undies.

I also knit some cotton tampons that I use while swimming or doing sports. I had yeast issues with a diaphragm years back and am leery of spending $50+ dollars on something that might cause me trouble. Although I have heard many nice things about the diva cup.
#23 of 27 Old 09-30-2010, 12:01 PM

Quote:
No. I've heard of it. What is it made of? I imagine something like a diaphragm. Is that what it's like?
The DivaCup is made of molded silicone, most of the other cups on the market (there are many now) are similar though a few have different materials. I've not used a diaphragm but from what I understand the menstrual cup sits lower in your vagina (not right up against your cervix). You can't feel it once you have it inserted correctly - that takes a little practice but I was surprised that I wasn't nearly as difficult as I first thought.
#24 of 27 Old 09-30-2010, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola_ View Post
The DivaCup is made of molded silicone, most of the other cups on the market (there are many now) are similar though a few have different materials. I've not used a diaphragm but from what I understand the menstrual cup sits lower in your vagina (not right up against your cervix). You can't feel it once you have it inserted correctly - that takes a little practice but I was surprised that I wasn't nearly as difficult as I first thought.
Thanks for the info. I know you aren't supposed to *feel* the diaphragm either, but somehow I feel like I need to pee more, and there's just the sensation of a fullness that I hate! when I take it out I feel better. I don't know if the diva cup would b 4 me.
#25 of 27 Old 09-30-2010, 04:54 PM - Thread Starter

its more comfortable than a tampon IMO i was ...assaulted... a couple years ago so i was concerned with wearing a tampon or anything of the like...thats when i got the Diva and its soooooooo much better than a tampon.

#26 of 27 Old 09-30-2010, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sosurreal09 View Post
its more comfortable than a tampon IMO i was ...assaulted... a couple years ago so i was concerned with wearing a tampon or anything of the like...thats when i got the Diva and its soooooooo much better than a tampon.
omg, I am so sorry

hugs--
#27 of 27 Old 10-04-2010, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter

thanks

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page