Yea for No Poo! Updated the Honeymoon's over. Update light at the end of the rainbow post 13. - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 24 Old 10-01-2010, 10:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My hair history.

I have been shampooing with bars for the last year, first a natural shampoo bar then Dr. Bronners baby mild bar, 2-3x a week. I haven't been using conditioner because 1)they don't work well and 2)I am trying to cut down on packaging

I have a dry scalp that is flaky and itchy. And dry, dull, brittle, thinning curly dark hair that has lots of breakage due to wearing ponytails a lot for sports.

I am on day 7 of no poo and am loving it! I have used a vinegar rinse once but it made my hair seem greasy so I have just been scrubbing and combing with warm/hot water and doing tea rinses to "wash". I have done peppermint, ginger, and dandelion rinses basically whatever I have leftover from the previous nights tea.

My hair is so different already. It was so soft, shiny and curly last night after my shower that I was amazed. My scalp is much better as well. Not as flaky or itchy.

I wonder if I'll have a transition? My hair seems to have taken well to the no poo.
#2 of 24 Old 10-01-2010, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisApril View Post
My hair history.

I have been shampooing with bars for the last year, first a natural shampoo bar then Dr. Bronners baby mild bar, 2-3x a week. I haven't been using conditioner because 1)they don't work well and 2)I am trying to cut down on packaging

I have a dry scalp that is flaky and itchy. And dry, dull, brittle, thinning curly dark hair that has lots of breakage due to wearing ponytails a lot for sports.

I am on day 7 of no poo and am loving it! I have used a vinegar rinse once but it made my hair seem greasy so I have just been scrubbing and combing with warm/hot water and doing tea rinses to "wash". I have done peppermint, ginger, and dandelion rinses basically whatever I have leftover from the previous nights tea.

My hair is so different already. It was so soft, shiny and curly last night after my shower that I was amazed. My scalp is much better as well. Not as flaky or itchy.

I wonder if I'll have a transition? My hair seems to have taken well to the no poo.

Do you think the tea helps your itchy scalp? I've been no-pooing for a month and now I have a really itchy scalp. I switched from baking soda and vinegar to the conditioner (natural TJs brand) only, which is the curly girl method. MY hair looks awesome by the dandruff is unsightly.
#3 of 24 Old 10-02-2010, 11:11 PM

Quote:
My hair history.

Peppermint is stimulating, so it may very well be helping the dandruff.
I am not sure about the ginger or dandelion, but I am sure that it is doing a lot for your scalp. Maybe research the beauty benefits of ginger and dandelion, and how that may helping your scalp.

Do you use any EOs?

Proud Catholic transtichel.gif(28) and mama to Vdust.gif (7)

#4 of 24 Old 10-03-2010, 09:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy0417 View Post
Do you think the tea helps your itchy scalp? I've been no-pooing for a month and now I have a really itchy scalp. I switched from baking soda and vinegar to the conditioner (natural TJs brand) only, which is the curly girl method. MY hair looks awesome by the dandruff is unsightly.
I have been using the tea just because I have it leftover anyway so I thought it would be nice to rinse with it. It certainly can't be hurting.

I do comb with a small toothed comb for a few minutes before I "wash" and when I am "washing" as well. That really help to loosen up the dry bits.

From what I've read bs is very drying for the scalp so thats why I haven't tried using any as of yet. I am a bit oily today though so I am considering it.
#5 of 24 Old 10-07-2010, 02:44 AM

Day 6 of No Poo
I rinsed my hair with a rosemary/mint/lavender/tea tree oil blend 3 days ago. I haven't noticed any excessive nasties.

I am planning on a thyme/ACV rinse tomorrow.

#6 of 24 Old 10-09-2010, 09:52 AM - Thread Starter

Day 12 I was so oily it was gross so I decided to wash my hair with a tiny bit of my seabuckthorn soap only on the back of the head where the oil was worst. It helped the oil but did dry out the ends a bit.

Does anyone out there just wash their hair less often? Like once every 2 weeks or once a month?
#7 of 24 Old 10-09-2010, 12:49 PM

Sorry sweetie.

I noticed that adding 100mL of ACV to my tea rinse cleans my hair and takes care of the oilies.

#8 of 24 Old 10-13-2010, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Does anyone out there just wash their hair less often? Like once every 2 weeks or once a month?
Yep! Once a week or two. I wash when I wake up and it looks and feels like it needs washing I usually use a TBSP of BS in a cup of water. No rinse- even the most diluted ACV makes me greasy.

---feeling like an emu on acid---
#9 of 24 Old 10-19-2010, 12:09 PM

From what I understand and I've been using the curly girl method, is that there is a transition period the hair goes through. I am actually using a low-poo product and am really happy with this vs. no poo. Most days I just condition. I do think my hair looks better not using any sulfate products

Wife to DH(15 years)and Mama to: Jacob(5/02)kid.gifribbonpurple.gif, and Alina(7/07)energy.gifI luxlove.gifbellyhair.gif
#10 of 24 Old 10-19-2010, 12:19 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I do every once in a while, now. Like once a month? I find that my hair is a bit greasier when I'm nearing my period. I went two years without, though. I did use vinegar on the top about every other day, though. I quit using baking soda because it was drying out my hair, but dh still does a bs rinse about once a month.

Also, I found I could go a month or so without doing anything if i took time to scrub my scalp for like 4 minutes (well, a really long time - minutes, not seconds).

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

dizzy.gif Wading slowly and nervously into this homeschooling thing.

#11 of 24 Old 10-25-2010, 01:11 PM

I really wish I could have the will power to do this! I have really oily hair and very breakout prone skin. I made it to 3 days and my shoulders and face were a mess! (hair is not quite long enough to keep in a pony tail to keep it off my skin well).

I only made it to day 3 before I felt too gross to continue. How do you get past this?
#12 of 24 Old 10-27-2010, 08:27 PM

subbing
#13 of 24 Old 11-02-2010, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter

Today is November 1 so I haven't used shampoo/soap on my hair in 21 days. Here is what I have noticed.

- Baking soda is way too drying for my hair leaving it very crunchy even when using a small amount. (1 tsp bs to 1 cup water)
- Vinegar leaves my hair shiny but greasy.
- Adding any kind of oil after washing is a really bad idea because it makes my hair really greasy.

I have been washing once a week with conditioner containing no silicones or SLS's and it is working great. I have found I need to let the conditioner sit on my head for a good 20 minutes and then give my scalp a thorough scrubbing otherwise I end up with flakes. My hair is producing a lot less oil every week now. I washed my hair on Saturday and straightened it for a Halloween party and I can wear it down and it still looks nice as of today Tuesday. By the end of the week I will have to wear it up though.
#14 of 24 Old 11-02-2010, 10:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchfry View Post
I really wish I could have the will power to do this! I have really oily hair and very breakout prone skin. I made it to 3 days and my shoulders and face were a mess! (hair is not quite long enough to keep in a pony tail to keep it off my skin well).

I only made it to day 3 before I felt too gross to continue. How do you get past this?
Putting my hair back really helped through the initial greasy phase. I also broke out more than normal for the first 2 weeks but that has totally stopped now. Could you wear a dew rag in your hair to keep it off your face?

As a side note I have also stopped washing my face with soap as I have really dry skin and soap makes it so much worse. Just water and a face cloth for me.
#15 of 24 Old 11-02-2010, 01:50 PM

ParisApril-
Have you tried the conditioner/BS method? You mix the BS in with the conditioner. I used that for awhile and it worked really well. I stopped for unknown reasons (this was over 2 years ago), but I am thinking of switching back to that method.

#16 of 24 Old 11-02-2010, 02:50 PM - Thread Starter

Patience- The conditioner seems to be doing a great job on it's own. The hair seems very clean and shiny afterward with no dryness. I didn't like how my hair felt after using BS, crisp and dry is the best way to describe it. What kind of results did you get when you mixed both?
#17 of 24 Old 11-02-2010, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Patience- The conditioner seems to be doing a great job on it's own. The hair seems very clean and shiny afterward with no dryness. I didn't like how my hair felt after using BS, crisp and dry is the best way to describe it. What kind of results did you get when you mixed both?
It was quite lovely.
I only mentioned it because you said you had to leave your conditioner on for 20 minutes. I do know with my hair, that would make it heavy and greasy, and I found that the BS lightened the conditioner up a bit, and cleaned my hair well.

I was introduced to the idea here on MDC, but I haven't been able to find the original post.

#18 of 24 Old 11-04-2010, 09:16 AM - Thread Starter

I have found leaving it on for 20 minutes really helps loosen up the dry skin on my scalp. Then I really scrub the scalp. My hair is not greasy afterward just shinny but I rinse it really, really well. I might try the BS/Conditioner method how much BS do you add to the conditioner?
#19 of 24 Old 11-05-2010, 02:21 AM

Quote:
I have found leaving it on for 20 minutes really helps loosen up the dry skin on my scalp. Then I really scrub the scalp. My hair is not greasy afterward just shinny but I rinse it really, really well. I might try the BS/Conditioner method how much BS do you add to the conditioner?
Just a tad.
I used a travel sized bottle- about 1/2 to 1 tsp of BS, conditioner, and a bit of water to mix.

#20 of 24 Old 11-05-2010, 10:12 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks I think I'll give it a try when I wash today (I'm going to have Friday be my wash day now). How often did you wash it with BS/conditioner?
#21 of 24 Old 11-05-2010, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Thanks I think I'll give it a try when I wash today (I'm going to have Friday be my wash day now). How often did you wash it with BS/conditioner?
Every other day. Which, now that I look back on it, was too often.
Every 3 days would probably be good.

#22 of 24 Old 11-08-2010, 08:59 AM - Thread Starter

I used 1/8 tsp. baking soda mixed into 1/4 cup conditioner and added some water to it and shook then washed with that. I left it on for a few minutes and scrubbed the scalp like normal. I'm really liking the results. I didn't have any dryness or greasiness, my hair seems fuller and it has some really interesting highlights to it. Red in my dark brown. Interesting indeed.
#23 of 24 Old 11-08-2010, 08:43 PM

Quote:
I used 1/8 tsp. baking soda mixed into 1/4 cup conditioner and added some water to it and shook then washed with that. I left it on for a few minutes and scrubbed the scalp like normal. I'm really liking the results. I didn't have any dryness or greasiness, my hair seems fuller and it has some really interesting highlights to it. Red in my dark brown. Interesting indeed.
I used to do a bit of a ACV/H20 rinse once a week with the BS/Conditioner mix. 1 TBSP to 8+oz H2O

#24 of 24 Old 11-14-2010, 07:37 PM

Just stumbled across this thread.  I've been no poo for right at one year now.  It has been a huge learning process for me, but I am glad I stuck with it.  There is a no poo forum that helped me tremendously:

http://community.livejournal.com/no_poo

It is my go-to site for no poo questions.  There is a GREAT spreadsheet linked on the site somewhere that has an extensive list of herbs and other things and their effect on your hair/scalp.  It is a fabulous resource.  

I started off using the usual BS wash AVC rinse recipe, and it worked really well for a while.  The BS really cleaned my hair well, but I soon realized that it was making my chest break out after showering, and my scalp was angry.  So, I set out to find something else that would get my hair clean and not leave red splotches all over me.  I tried so many things, and many of them failed miserably.

Finally I read about ayurvedic herbs (Indian herbs).  Went to a local Indian grocery store and had to have the guy behind the counter help me find what I was looking for.  I am very obviously not Indian, so I think he knew I was kinda lost.  Anyhow, I bought a box of neem, shikakai, and aritha.  I spend something like $7 or $9 total.  WOW!  And the boxes lasted me a good while.  To my great happiness, they cleaned my hair well!  The neem helps my scalp since I have quite a bit of dandruff/flaking issues.

Another favorite of mine is honey-- seems to really help moisturize my hair.  I also use egg from time to time for shine, but it seems that I end up with a little bit of scrambled egg in my hair no matter how cold I seem to think the water is!

It took me a while to realize I was going through the "transition" period.  I had to wean myself into washing my hair less and less, and the more I would stretch out my washes, over time I noticed I could go longer between washes.  I have long hair and so ponytails are always easy for me if my hair is yucky.  Sometimes I only wash my hair because I think my scalp is getting smelly or my hair is really flaky.  I can now get away with just a vinegar rinse on some days when my hair isn't particularly oily.

Oh, and adding good smelling essential oils to the vinegar rinse is a must for me.  DH hates the smell of vinegar in my hair, so masking it with something nice like lavender is great!  Rosewater in a spray bottle is good, too.

A_Random_Phrase likes this.

Married to DH partners.gif since 2007. Mommy to babyboy.gif 7/2011.  We bfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page