Milk of Magnesia as deodorant.... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-03-2010, 10:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
is awesome! works well, unscented, effective, and really what else could I ask for?

I'm so glad to finally have found something that works, I have never had good deodorant luck so I'm just so darn happy

Charlotte wife to B momma to Q 2/22/09
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2010, 11:07 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Okay, this is a new one on me... I want details, please! How do you apply it? How much do you use? How long does it have to dry before you can get dressed? Does it powder up and leave a residue? How long have you been using it?
Old 10-06-2010, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swd12422 View Post
Okay, this is a new one on me... I want details, please! How do you apply it? How much do you use? How long does it have to dry before you can get dressed? Does it powder up and leave a residue? How long have you been using it?
...seriously....do you harden it or something or are you just pouring milk of mag on you're pits?

Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

Old 10-06-2010, 02:10 PM

? curious.
Old 10-06-2010, 09:20 PM - Thread Starter

Sorry not to have said more!

OK, so my mom is actually the one who introduced it to me - she heard about it on The People's Pharmacy and she bought a bottle of MoM and then pours it into a small old lotion bottle, each morning you shake it up real good and then pour a nickel size amount (or so) into the palm of your hand and rub it on your pits. It dries pretty quickly for me, faster than using my DH's gel type deodorant. It really doesn't have any smell and what I love the most is that I don't smell! Also, it's super cheap for a big bottle of MoM. Seriously, I felt like I tried everything, so I hope this keeps working for me. It's been about 2 weeks now and I'm still loving it

Old 10-07-2010, 08:42 AM

Ok, I'm going to try this one... I hope it works for me I have been trying to figure out a new deoderant for a long time now. Thanks...

:
Old 10-19-2010, 11:24 PM

I have been using milk of magnesia as deodorant for the past few weeks. I have really been astounded by how well this works! Literally no odor at all, even after exercising. And it doesn't give me the rash and burning skin that I get with more natural deodorant. It is like using nothing, but with zero body odor.

I looked at the inactive ingredients on my bottle of milk of magnesia. Water, and Sodium Hypochlorite were listed.

Sodium Hypochlorite is bleach!

I believe that Sodium Hypochlorite is used in our water supply, as a disinfectant.

But, I am curious as to the level of Sodium Hypochlorite in milk of magnesia.
Old 10-21-2010, 02:52 PM

Nancy--
My MoM says it only contains magnesium hydroxide and purified water. All I can suggest is maybe to look for a different brand? Mine is a store brand from my local grocery store.
Old 10-21-2010, 04:19 PM

Good idea - thanks! The one I have is Phillips Brand. I'll check the generic ones
Old 10-24-2010, 11:09 PM

I'm going to try this...... After trying almost every brand of deoderant (including mens) with no success I have been at a loss for what to use. I have bad underarm odor when I am breastfeeding . I've just gotten used to it but I'd love to be able to kill it!

mama to L (4) and G (1.5)
Old 10-27-2010, 09:29 PM

Definitely trying this!
Old 10-31-2010, 12:04 AM

I bought disposable roll-on bottles off the internet (just do a google search for roll on bottles) and pour the Milk of Magnesia into that. Then apply it like any roll on deorandant. Previously I was using cotton balls and dabbing it on, but the roll on bottles are much more effective. I will say that this works wonders for me but only when I take a shower at night and apply it after my shower. If I take a shower in the morning and use it, it works, but not as effective. I also found that I can only apply it once (just in the evening after shower) and not again until the next evening otherwise my underarm glands become swollen. If that happens, I cut back and not use it for a day, and the glands go back down. I've been reading about using baking soda mixed with water to make a paste - I'm going to try that also in the mornings to see if using the MOM in the evening and baking soda in the morning will finally completely rid me of under arm odor!
Old 11-11-2010, 01:10 PM

OP, are you still a fan 6 weeks in? I am seriously considering this once I run out of what I have.

Happy wife to DH superhero.gifand mama to DS signcirc1.gif11/05 and DD energy.gif8/07.
Old 11-11-2010, 05:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekingJoy View Post

OP, are you still a fan 6 weeks in? I am seriously considering this once I run out of what I have.

I am! orngbiggrin.gif

User Tag List