getting rid of down there hair - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-06-2010, 02:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
this is probably a shot in the dark but is there an alternative to shaving besides having to pay a stranger $70 a month to wax me?

i have course hair and tried waxing myself....it was a no go....

hairy is not an option, i hate it and feel very uncomfortable hairy and DH does not like it either...

Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2010, 02:50 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
The only thing that comes to mind for me is shopping around for a cheaper waxer... and maybe if yo had it done a couple of times it would be easier to do yourself? and would only need to be done every 6-8 weeks.

BC Mum of four ('05, '07, '11 and 06/14!)     
Old 10-06-2010, 03:01 PM

I have so been there. The hair removal stuff (like Nair?) didn't work. Shaving causes horrid bumps. ...so yeah I pay a waxer about 70 a month to do it for me. I couldn't get the hang of waxing myself. When I thought about the price, I realized that it was not really that bad if you consider what she has to do lol...
Old 10-06-2010, 03:11 PM

yeah i do nair only because i can barely afford to get my eyebrows & 'stache waxed let alone down there and shaving makes me break out right away. nair isn't that great either though; if you don't leave it on exactly long enough it doesn't get all the hair off, but 1 min. too long and you get broken out
i wish i could afford to just get it all lasered off
Old 10-07-2010, 07:21 PM

Do you need to go completely hairless? I occasionally use my partner's electric beard trimmer...it can keep hair really short but doesn't create the same problems with razor burn.
Old 10-07-2010, 07:31 PM
DBZ

I saw some alternative way to remove eyebrow and other facial hair when I was at the mall. I didn't pay much attention because I felt weird watching...it was in the middle of everything like other kiosks. She used something that looked like a rubber band string. Let me see if I can find it.

Kara, single mom of 4 girls (5, 8, 16 and 19) crochetsmilie.gif
Kids have strokes too! superhero.gif 

Old 10-07-2010, 07:34 PM

That's called threading - I don't know if it works for pubic hair, though. I've never done threading, but I have friends that do it for their face and love it.
Old 10-07-2010, 07:39 PM
DBZ

It's eyebrow threading. Apparently it does work on other places http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-eyebrow-threading.htm

Kara, single mom of 4 girls (5, 8, 16 and 19) crochetsmilie.gif
Kids have strokes too! superhero.gif 

Old 10-07-2010, 07:39 PM

DBZ is talking about threading. There are plenty of video tutorials out there on how to thread.

I'd trim to a convenient length, then use sugar wax. (NOT hair removal wax from the store, that stuff is EVIL) Google can tell you how to make it. Sugar wax hurts way less than regular salon wax because it doesn't pull off your skin with the hair, but this means you need to exfoliate regularly.

If you do it in small sections, with proper waxing technique, it isn't painful. I do my armpits with sugar wax, and I'm a wuss.

I don't come here anymore. MDC has become overgrown with ads & useless extra forums.
Old 10-07-2010, 08:18 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
This may be blasphemy here (), but laser hair removal.

It is expensive. However, if you are paying $70/month, try shaving for a year (make homemade Tend Skin for the bumps) and use the $70/month you saved to get laser hair removal. Also, check out Groupon.com in your area because they may have a coupon making it very affordable.

ETA: I just realized this was in natural body care. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to suggest laser hair removal, but if you have already tried the natural route, you may want to go for it. It may help improve your situation greatly to where you can just use sugar wax or threading for upkeep.
Old 10-08-2010, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulvah View Post
This may be blasphemy here (), but laser hair removal.
... It may help improve your situation greatly to where you can just use sugar wax or threading for upkeep.
OK, mulvah, I'd like to hear more on this. Waxing etc is not exactly natural either so for my money, you're in the right place.

Like the op, I've got coarse hair, and lots of it. Like - lots. My skin tone is medium and the hair is dark, so I think I'm a good candidate for laser.

If you don't mind, would you share your hair type, skin type and laser experience, and what kind of "upkeep" is then necessary? Anything and everything you're willing to share about this is great for me, and mods or mamas, if you think this is better as pm, that's fine too of course.

OP, I'm still waxing (since I'm still waxing and waning about the laser option) and my fabulous person uses a good semi-natural soft wax product on my legs, and another good semi-natural hard wax on the bikini line. It makes a big difference. So if you go that way, ask for someone who has and does both.

Mom of one child (2008), wife of one husband, tender of dogs, cats and chickens. Household interests: ocean life (kid), bitcoins (husband), simplifying (me).

Old 10-08-2010, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCBMAX View Post
OK, mulvah, I'd like to hear more on this. Waxing etc is not exactly natural either so for my money, you're in the right place.

Like the op, I've got coarse hair, and lots of it. Like - lots. My skin tone is medium and the hair is dark, so I think I'm a good candidate for laser.

If you don't mind, would you share your hair type, skin type and laser experience, and what kind of "upkeep" is then necessary? Anything and everything you're willing to share about this is great for me, and mods or mamas, if you think this is better as pm, that's fine too of course.

OP, I'm still waxing (since I'm still waxing and waning about the laser option) and my fabulous person uses a good semi-natural soft wax product on my legs, and another good semi-natural hard wax on the bikini line. It makes a big difference. So if you go that way, ask for someone who has and does both.
I'm sending you a detailed PM that may be TMI for the main board (), but I will say for anyone else reading, look into it. I had issues with ingrown hairs and scarring, which led me to have my hair removed. It's the best thing I've done for myself (in terms of my body); it improved my self-esteem greatly.

As for upkeep, it will depend on the number of treatments and how your body responds. I rarely shave now.
Old 10-08-2010, 08:12 PM - Thread Starter

forward me the PM!

Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

Old 10-08-2010, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulvah View Post
I'm sending you a detailed PM that may be TMI for the main board (), but I will say for anyone else reading, look into it. I had issues with ingrown hairs and scarring, which led me to have my hair removed. It's the best thing I've done for myself (in terms of my body); it improved my self-esteem greatly.

As for upkeep, it will depend on the number of treatments and how your body responds. I rarely shave now.

Oh man pm it to me too! I have horrid issues with everything else but I dont know anyone in person who has lasered it off.

Resistance is futile Matey
Old 10-08-2010, 08:42 PM

I shave (waxing makes me ill, i have very pale, very thin skin, and very coarse, very strong, but very pale (platinum blonde) hair, i feel dizzy and "shocky" for about 4 hours after waxing, then have a generalised red swelling (like an allergic reaction) which fades to reveal areas of pinprick bruising (VERY obvious on my pale skin) then a multitude of ingrown hairs (surrounded by redness if i try to exfoliate to prevent them) then finally regrowth, this cycle takes about 6 days, and does not have a single day where i could go swimming without my bikini line looking like there is a serious problem with my undercarriage...). I found the problems with shaving began to fade after 3 or 4 months of continuously doing it. I do still get ingrown hairs sometimes. Best of a bad bunch for me. I had a laser consult and was told with my pale fine skin and platinum blonde wiry hair i'm in the category of least-likely to help.
Old 10-09-2010, 12:25 AM

I trim up the main area and DH helps by waxing the sides with a product called "Nads". Go ahead and laugh...but it's a real product. If I were going to take it all off, I might pay someone to do it, but since I'm only trimming up the sides and not getting near any really sensitive areas, DH helps out.
Old 10-09-2010, 08:57 AM - Thread Starter

i dont feel comfortable and no where near sexy with any hair at all...i have been shaving since i was 12....not that anyone was seeing it lol

i hate shaving my hair is back the next day...im all prickly and never smooth. plus the ingrowns..

Old 10-09-2010, 08:18 PM

Now that I think about it, I think I did use the Nads to take off most of the hair with DHs help. I only did it once though. I guess if I were goig to go full out brazilian, I don't think I would trust DH to help. However, it doesn't sound like you want to do that. The only other options I can think of is to find another salon that doesn't cost as much or do laser hair removal.
Old 10-09-2010, 08:28 PM

Around here, there are some salons that charge a discount rate if you return within 9 weeks - so when I was going regularly, it was $65 the first time and $50 if it was a 'touch up' - so I'd schedule something at like 8 1/2 weeks.

I don't like shaving - too itchy with regrowth. I found a thing at target that's a regular razor for legs/pits on one end and an electric trimmer on the other. I found I could trim to a length that was short, but longer than the itchy regrowth stage - it has adjustable guards to go longer or shorter. I'd rather do the full wax, but something in the budget had to go.

Michelle -mom to Katlyn 4/00 , Jake 3/02, and Seth 5/04
Old 11-14-2010, 09:01 PM

I do laser hair removal.  I've had bothersome facial hair since puberty, and tried lots of methods to get rid of it.  When I first heard about laser hair removal I was in college and couldn't wait to try it.  What I didn't know at first was that it takes multiple sessions to permanently remove the hair.  My first experience was at a dermatologist office, and then I went to a place that was specifically for laser hair removal.  I'm not sure what kind of laser they used, but I found that it didn't really work for me at all.  It was expensive, so I felt cheated.

I later moved to a larger city and saw advertisements for a laser hair removal place that guaranteed their work.  I decided to give it another try, and I had success on my lip and chin.  They are always running specials, and I eventually decided to get my bikini area, butt, and lower legs done.  I would like to have my entire legs done, but they considered upper and lower legs two different areas, and the special deal at the time was for 3 areas.  I don't have my entire bikini area done, but they said that some women do the whole thing.  I basically shaved it into the shape I want, and they laser around the area leaving the hair in the middle.  Was really awkward the first time, but I've gotten over it.  They are all women at the place I go, which helps. Now my pubic hair is always in a neat arrangement.  I still have some hairs that grow in the lasered area, but not many.  I nearly never have to shave the area.  I don't think my backside has responded quite a well, but my lower legs are great.  I hardly ever have to shave them!

The downsides to laser hair removal are the costs and it hurts.  I think I paid $800 for the "deal" on my bikini, butt, and lower legs.  But as I mentioned, it is guaranteed, and I basically get to keep going back as many times as I need beyond the normal regimen.  Definitely make sure the place you choose has a guarantee.  As for the pain, its kind of like a rubber band sting.  It sucks, but I get through it thinking of the results.  The more times you have the treatments, the higher they turn up the lasers.  Sometimes there are two of them working on me at once, which keeps me from focusing on one area at once.  Although I don't have my entire bikini area done, I do have them do a small portion of my lower labia.  Yeah, that hurts.  Last time I was in I asked about the procedure during pregnancy, and they said they would not do the bikini area during pregnancy, and it was my choice if I still wanted to do the other areas like lip/chin or lower legs.  If you don't come in at the prescribed intervals it can "void" your guarantee, but they will give you an exemption for pregnancy.

I've kinda struggled with the best alternative for "natural" hair removal, and other than shaving, there really doesn't seem to be a perfect answer.  I recently switched to an old fashioned steel safety razor because I hated buying plastic laden expensive blades for a fru-fru lady razor like a Venus, etc.  At least with the laser treatments I have to shave those areas MUCH less, and hopefully eventually not at all.  Although I've been having the laser treatments on my lip and chin for at least 2 years now and the hair isn't 100% gone, but it is SO much better than before I started the laser treatment.  Hopefully one day we won't find out that the lasers are super dangerous........

Sorry for the long post, but I really wanted to share my experience with this!

Married to DH partners.gif since 2007. Mommy to babyboy.gif 7/2011.  We bfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif.

Old 01-01-2011, 10:29 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Another laser fan here. OP, all places offer free consults and most offer special package pricing (esp. in the month of January!) It's definitely worth making an appointment to see if your hair and skin and budget are well-suited to this method of hair removal. 

Old 01-02-2011, 03:45 PM

I shave, but can't do it every day.  Even still, I don't shave it completely off.  I shave with the direction of my hair, so it takes it almost to the skin but not quite, so it isn't baby soft but close.  The hair ends up being about 1/16 of an inch long.  It feels the same as if I shave it completely off, though, so I don't notice.  Once I started doing that I stopped getting razor burn or ingrown hairs. It also depends on the razor I use.  I use Venus Embrace to shave my legs and armpits, but I get BAD razor burn if I use that razor on my pubic hair.  Not sure why.  If I use the regular Venus razors I don't get any razor burn at all, so I just keep two razors in the shower.  Maybe it has something to do with the Embrace have 5 razors and the regular Venus only have 3??  I don't know.  I shave about once a week (once it gets to be about 1/4 of an inch long or so) and never have a problem. 

Kara - Homeschooling mom to Greyson (13), three lazy cats, two hyper dogs, and 11 crazy chickens.  Loving our life on 5 acres in the middle of nowhere.  TTC #2 for over 12 years.  Soon to be a stand-in mom for foster babies!
http://talesofatransplantedcitygirl.wordpress.com

Old 01-05-2011, 10:49 AM

Don't laugh.... but I saw an infomercial for a hair removal system called NoNo. I wonder if it really works. Any one try it? Of course the commercial made it sound amazing! lol

Sue, Mama to Fiona Aileen (2/1/09) and  Maeve Penelope (10/7/11) familybed2.gif cd.gif

Old 01-06-2011, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamamoon89 View Post

Do you need to go completely hairless? I occasionally use my partner's electric beard trimmer...it can keep hair really short but doesn't create the same problems with razor burn.

this is what i recommend-i never shave close, just trim very well-its the best of both worlds.

Heavily tattooed and Dready Mama to my girls. YES we are STILL NURSING! love to and
Old 01-12-2011, 03:34 PM

I'm an esthetician, and waxing is a huge part of my clientelle. Call around and see if there's a spa who will do a "maintenance" rate for you. I offer a discounted rate for my regulars who maintain by coming in every 6-8 weeks. For most guests, it gets easier and easier with less time involved than the very first. bigeyes.gif As for LHR, I worked for a cosmetic dermatologist for awhile and I didn't see amazing results with the laser, especially for the money. However, there are many different machines so I can only speak for one type.

Old 01-12-2011, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelbean91 View Post

I don't like shaving - too itchy with regrowth. I found a thing at target that's a regular razor for legs/pits on one end and an electric trimmer on the other. I found I could trim to a length that was short, but longer than the itchy regrowth stage - it has adjustable guards to go longer or shorter. I'd rather do the full wax, but something in the budget had to go.

I have this. I think it is called the Trimstyle. It's not too expensive, and works pretty well.

Old 02-01-2011, 09:17 AM

Hey you laser-experienced responders -

I've got my first appointment tomorrow. Kinda scared, very hopeful. I must say that this last month since making the appointment has been pretty darn challenging. Waxing my legs/ bikini and plucking my chin and upper lip really let me be in denial about how much hair I can grow. Lots. I also really challenged myself with the shaving. My skin didn't love it, and my ego had to harden up some more to remember that I was still a girl as I reached for my husband's razor.

I am not shaving these last couple days before the first treatment til an hour before I go because I want my skin not to be so badly freaked out when I get in there. Actually, I guess I should call to make sure that's the right approach.

I'll be going to pick up my son from school right after - will my face look really strange and red and puffy? Yup. Can no longer deny that I am vain/ foolish/ human.

Mom of one child (2008), wife of one husband, tender of dogs, cats and chickens. Household interests: ocean life (kid), bitcoins (husband), simplifying (me).

Old 02-01-2011, 09:56 AM

For those of you who trim the bikini area, what is the best trimmer, in your opinion. I am going to invest, bc I hate shaving but have decided that I like not having hair down there (very short is fine with me). I have been a natural girl most of my life so am new to this sort of thing.

Momma to DS 1, age 8 and rainbow baby DS2 4-21-11.
Old 02-01-2011, 03:45 PM
2xy

I've been battling the razor/trimmer wars lately. I used to keep the undercarriage completely bare and just had a landing strip above. I'm tired of maintaining that, and I work in a physical sort of job and tend to be sweaty a lot, so I get itchy from shaving. I've been using a beard trimmer thing.....but....

I can't seem to get my hair in the direction that it grows. It grows towards the center (I'm assuming I'm normal in that regard). So I use the trimmer and it looks like everything is fairly even, then when I assume a normal posture once again, I see all sorts of random hairs that I missed. It takes me forever with the trimmer, and my back isn't what it used to be. I'm all stiff and achey when I'm done...lol....

Any tips?

Old 02-08-2011, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCBMAX View Post

Hey you laser-experienced responders -

I've got my first appointment tomorrow. Kinda scared, very hopeful. I must say that this last month since making the appointment has been pretty darn challenging. Waxing my legs/ bikini and plucking my chin and upper lip really let me be in denial about how much hair I can grow. Lots. I also really challenged myself with the shaving. My skin didn't love it, and my ego had to harden up some more to remember that I was still a girl as I reached for my husband's razor.

I am not shaving these last couple days before the first treatment til an hour before I go because I want my skin not to be so badly freaked out when I get in there. Actually, I guess I should call to make sure that's the right approach.

I'll be going to pick up my son from school right after - will my face look really strange and red and puffy? Yup. Can no longer deny that I am vain/ foolish/ human.

Good luck! I'm another one who has done the laser treatment and my experience was FANTASTIC! It hurts and all that, but it's worth not having to wax/shave constantly and deal with the in-between growth, the ingrown hairs, etc. I did my bikini line (nothing crazy, I didn't go Brazilian or anything I just had them laser away the parts that would stick out of bathing suit, basically!) and underarms. I had three treatments and that got rid of probably 90% of the hair. I shave under my arms like once a week or something, but honestly the few hairs that remain are really fine and almost unnoticeable.

For the bit of growth I still get on my bikini line, I do what I have always done: I wax it myself. I use self-hardening wax instead of muslin strips and I swear that works so much better, for me anyway. I'm sure it depends on the person and how much practice/experience you have but the self-hardening wax for me is way less fussy/painful than regular wax. I suppose I have also built up a bit of a tolerance for the pain, having been waxing my bikini line regularly for many years now. I can now give myself a Brazilian without hardly batting an eye!

Mama to a beautiful girl since May 2007 and a beautiful boy since August 2010! :

User Tag List