Need some recommendations for my daughter, please! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 10-27-2010, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
She is 9 and basically sick ALL THE TIME!!! We've tried multivitamins and zylitol with not much success. With winter coming, I know if I don't change something she will spend it sick, again! She's already had a cold (a bad one) this fall with a nasty cough that is lingering.... We have been to our pediatrician a zillion times- they don't really have anything else to recommend. We have a great Ped- she feels bad for my little girl and has said, "Poor baby, you're sick all the time "

Can anyone recommend supplements,articles, anything! that will help get and keep my daughter well? She's basically been like this since birth, even though I nursed her for 2 years..... Wanted to mention that I am the same way, always sick.
HELP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 10-27-2010, 01:22 PM

Wow, that must be so hard! Maybe you've already tried some of these things, but here's what comes to my mind...

echinacea to boost her immune system, food or allergies in your home (mold, etc.), low on vitamin C, better quality vitamins as some do not have what they advertise in them

I would definitely see another doctor, a naturopath who has herbal knowledge. It sounds like your immune systems are down or weak. I would keep trying new doctors until you find someone who can really take the time to help BOTH OF YOU. Make a double appointment.

Hugs to you! It is so hard to take care of children when you are not feeling well yourself.

(You may also consider a Homeopath if you have one in your area.)

Mama to Ainsley (7/01) , Finley (10/06) and Jade (10/06)

#3 of 7 Old 10-27-2010, 01:23 PM

Dear Celtic,
How great of you to reach out to the community for support and ideas. A great book I recommend is from Dr. John Douillard called "Perfect Health for Kids- Ten Ayurvedic Health Secrets Every Parents Must Know" Don't let the Ayurvedic word scare you...it simply means the science of life. You can also visit his website at lifespa.com.. Lots of great ideas on supplements, nutrition etc...I have learned a lot from him..
How is yours and her water intake?? Often times our bodies is so dehydrated it welcomes illness....
Good luck to you!!

Mama to a daughter born in 2002, and new baby due May 4th 2011!!
#4 of 7 Old 10-27-2010, 04:07 PM

I'd cross-post in the health and healing forum. Those mamas have a ton of knowledge.

lather, rinse, repeat
#5 of 7 Old 10-27-2010, 04:13 PM

I don't want to offend you, but do have mold in your home? When dh and I moved into our current home (no kids yet) we started getting and staying sick all the time. We then found out that our wood-framed windows were FULL of mold. We immediately replaced all of the windows with vinyl and we don't get sick like that anymore.

When children/adults are getting sick a lot it's usually something in the home that triggers it. Just last year I couldn't figure out why I had had a sinus infection for 3 weeks. Finally a light bulb went off, our carpets were loaded with dogs/cats/kids gunk and after lots of vacuuming and carpet cleaning it still didn't fix the problem. We pulled up the carpet and laid down vinyl and I was totally better within 2 days.

HTHs

lady.gifLacey, wife to an emerging author notes.gif,  mama to whistling.gif(6),bikenew.gif(4),  angel1.gif our Angel Faith born to Heaven April 2013 & Expecting our Rainbow Baby #4 July 2014 luxlove.gif 
#6 of 7 Old 10-27-2010, 04:19 PM
LZP

What are your diets like? I'll assume you're eating whole, nutrient dense foods frequently, right? If not, that's a good place to start! You have to feed your body well for it to function properly.

do either of you have known food allergies? sometimes even a food allergy can present with cold-like/respiratory symptoms.

Also, agree totally with PPs- check your environment.

Glad you came here for help, and I hope you and your daughter find some relief before winter!

The babymoon isn't over! Our long awaited A born 7/18/10, making us laugh and smile every day.
#7 of 7 Old 11-01-2010, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smidge View Post
I don't want to offend you, but do have mold in your home? When dh and I moved into our current home (no kids yet) we started getting and staying sick all the time. We then found out that our wood-framed windows were FULL of mold. We immediately replaced all of the windows with vinyl and we don't get sick like that anymore.

When children/adults are getting sick a lot it's usually something in the home that triggers it. Just last year I couldn't figure out why I had had a sinus infection for 3 weeks. Finally a light bulb went off, our carpets were loaded with dogs/cats/kids gunk and after lots of vacuuming and carpet cleaning it still didn't fix the problem. We pulled up the carpet and laid down vinyl and I was totally better within 2 days.

HTHs
YUP! I have TERRIBLE allergies and so does my daughter. When she was little we lived in apt's with carpet and her dad smoked (outside) but she still got really sick all the time. She had to have tubes in ears, breathing treatments etc... SO now we live in a house with all wood floors and I make sure to change the airfilters regularly. I buy the expensive disposable ones. 17 bucks a piece but its worth it because it traps all the gross particles floating in the air. This helps a ton. we have an indor cat and a doggie who sheds all over so i have to dust mop every day (boo).
The dr. recomended my entire life no carpet!! It really really helps. Also wash the bed linens in very hot water and fluff pillows in dryer for about 45 min on HOT to kill dust mites etc. Its work, but every time i do this we all feel better. Saline nasal wash helps too. dont make your own its too harsh but get the stuff from walgreens/cvs. Its like a shower for your nose, washes out all the gunk. OH if you dont already get those dust mite covers for your bed.
Hope this helps, I know how you feel and all this is a bunch of work but it really will help.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page