Diva Cup makes me burn and itch... help! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 11-08-2010, 12:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just finished my 2nd cycle with the diva cup and I LOVE LOVE it, except the big problem stated above. Last month I used it for the first time. Thought maybe I was getting a yeast infection because it burned and itched. Also thought maybe the "scent" lingering on it (the new cup scent?) wasn't washed off enough so I boiled it and the bag it came in. Well, it wasn't a yeast infection but it went away after my period was done so I didn't think anything of it.

So same thing, next cycle. Thought maybe it was my soap, just washed it well with water and boiled it a few times (meant to go get different soap but never got around to it). Same thing... burning/ itching like I'm getting a yeastie, but one never starts.

The itching often goes away maybe 6 hours into using it, then restarts when I change it out after 12 hours. I've had other silicone things in my vagina (diaphragm, male/ female condoms) with no problems (latex does make me itch, though). I've certainly had my fingers in that area before, even after washing with my regular bathroom soap. I've never had itching from sex (except when I have a yeast infection). Never had itching from tampons, and you'd think they're more irritating!

Ideas? Could I possibly be allergic? Is there another brand that would be better? I LOVE this cup and I don't want to go back to tampons, but the itch is killing me! Not enough to keep me up at night, but almost (like the pre-yeast infection itch).

Help!

Christina, wife , mother of 2 :, RN ... : :
#2 of 10 Old 11-08-2010, 12:38 AM

I have no idea. Silicone is supposed to be nonreactive. I've never had any problems with mine, but I don't really get yeast infections either. I hope someone has some answers for you and you can continue using it, they're awesome.
#3 of 10 Old 11-10-2010, 06:43 PM

I don't have an answer, but I just got a silicone cup and am having the same problem-itchy-ish for the first hour or so.  Also makes me cramp really hard every time I re-insert it.  For me though, I'm allergic to most pads, not to mention the elastic in underwear and tampons are a special kind of hell, so I didn't mind the itching so much. 

#4 of 10 Old 11-16-2010, 08:03 AM

Try switching what soap you wash it with. I had this problem during my first cycle and I tried a different kind of soap and the problem has not been a issue since. Good luck, the cups are wonderful!!!

~Katie~ married to J, mom to DD- A 13 yrs ,DS- L 7yrs , and my little nursling DD2- R 5yrs.

crochetsmilie.gif

#5 of 10 Old 12-01-2010, 02:57 PM

I am having the same problem!  I gave up and bought pads:(  I was really loving the cup but then noticed a trend this last cycle with the itching like the beginning of a yeast infection.  Maybe I will try again next cycle and use different soap.  

Wife to my loving husband, James.  Mother to a beautiful daughter, Jules (8/6/08).  Expecting twin girls September 19th, Jade and Jemma.

#6 of 10 Old 03-24-2012, 03:03 PM

Okay - so I see that the original post was from 2 years ago...but hey!  I just googled it and this was one of the first things that came up.  I wonder if you ever figured out the solution?  I have a sinking feeling its the Diva Cup.

I am SO SO sad.  I LOVE the diva cup but for the last several cycles - I have finished my period and then had what I thought was a yeast infection.  The first time it happened, it sent me into the 'Man - women have all the sh@!&y stuff to deal with" mode.  Then the 2nd time I thought, "hm. Seriously? Two months in a row?".  Now, after this past period, I realized - I think it's my beloved Diva Cup.  After a few days the itching goes away and I feel back to normal.

Here is the interesting thing.  This is my second cup.  My first one I had for years and I didn't have this problem.  Then I had a baby.  And the 1st cup leaked - - - obvious reasons...I'm dong my kegels :-)...so I bought the one for women in their 30's who've had babies.  I'm wondering if they changed their material? Or maybe I have changed...breastfeeding/post baby hormones? 

Let me know if you every learned anything.  Maybe I should just email them. I will be so amazingly bummed and disappointed if I have to go back to tampons.  I hate those things!

#7 of 10 Old 03-26-2012, 08:30 AM - Thread Starter

I am the original poster... forgot that I had those issues in the beginning!  I'm still using it and the burning part has gone away.  The only time I'm a bit irritated is when it doesn't pop open right away and I'm doing more "manipulations" to get it to sit right.  When I do get it in right, I forget I even have it in...  it's that great!  So stick with it; maybe boil it a bunch of times to get any lingering chemicals off?

I don't wash it in soap anymore; I only rinse with hot water and use a Medela steam bag a few times a cycle to keep it clean.  Used to boil it but this is quicker.  Probably not recommended per the website, but it's working so far!

Any other users have tips on getting it to pop open?  Sometimes I get it right away, sometimes I give up and try again in a few hours because if I try too much, then I get irritated (physically and mentally!).

Christina

Christina, wife , mother of 2 :, RN ... : :
#8 of 10 Old 05-15-2012, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmuppet View Post

Okay - so I see that the original post was from 2 years ago...but hey!  I just googled it and this was one of the first things that came up.  I wonder if you ever figured out the solution?  I have a sinking feeling its the Diva Cup.

I am SO SO sad.  I LOVE the diva cup but for the last several cycles - I have finished my period and then had what I thought was a yeast infection.  The first time it happened, it sent me into the 'Man - women have all the sh@!&y stuff to deal with" mode.  Then the 2nd time I thought, "hm. Seriously? Two months in a row?".  Now, after this past period, I realized - I think it's my beloved Diva Cup.  After a few days the itching goes away and I feel back to normal.

Here is the interesting thing.  This is my second cup.  My first one I had for years and I didn't have this problem.  Then I had a baby.  And the 1st cup leaked - - - obvious reasons...I'm dong my kegels :-)...so I bought the one for women in their 30's who've had babies.  I'm wondering if they changed their material? Or maybe I have changed...breastfeeding/post baby hormones? 

Let me know if you every learned anything.  Maybe I should just email them. I will be so amazingly bummed and disappointed if I have to go back to tampons.  I hate those things!

Maybe your body is reacting to the soap you're using? You could try boiling the cup to get any additional residue off. It's interesting that this didn't happen to you before -- I'm almost positive they haven't changed their material. Hmmm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heymama1plus1 View Post

I am the original poster... forgot that I had those issues in the beginning!  I'm still using it and the burning part has gone away.  The only time I'm a bit irritated is when it doesn't pop open right away and I'm doing more "manipulations" to get it to sit right.  When I do get it in right, I forget I even have it in...  it's that great!  So stick with it; maybe boil it a bunch of times to get any lingering chemicals off?

I don't wash it in soap anymore; I only rinse with hot water and use a Medela steam bag a few times a cycle to keep it clean.  Used to boil it but this is quicker.  Probably not recommended per the website, but it's working so far!

Any other users have tips on getting it to pop open?  Sometimes I get it right away, sometimes I give up and try again in a few hours because if I try too much, then I get irritated (physically and mentally!).

Christina

Glad to hear the discomfort has gone away! The position you sit/stand in while inserting the cup can make a difference as to how it pops open. Your muscles should be relaxed and as open as possible so that the cup has less resistance when opening. I usually grab the tab/stem (I don't use the Diva Cup, but alternate between the Moon Cup and the Lunette) once it's inserted, and pull slightly back, which tips the opening of the cup forward slightly. That can help it pop open, too!

crochetsmilie.gif heartbeat.gif cat.gif

#9 of 10 Old 09-22-2013, 10:00 PM

Schmuppet---I felt compelled to respond to you because I'm in a similiar situation!  I just used my Diva Cup for the first time after having my baby (got my first period and she's already 1).  But I had that AWFUL itching/burning and thought I had a yeast infection but I didn't.  So maybe it DOES have something to do with hormones.  My cup is the SAME one that I used before I was pregnant, so I don't know.  It's super irritating!  I'm afraid to use it now!  Let me know if you found out any other info.  GL!

#10 of 10 Old 12-06-2013, 07:15 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
 Any other users have tips on getting it to pop open?

There's a "dance" that someone posted here a few years ago: rotate your hips as if twirling a hula hoop, then do some high marching steps.  This almost always works for me, although I don't understand why!

Mama to a boy EnviroKid treehugger.gif 9 years old and a new little girl EnviroBaby baby.gif!

I write about parenting, environment, cooking, and more. computergeek2.gif

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page