Body quirks... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 11-08-2010, 03:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
When I yawn the inside of my left ear itches.

When I laugh really hard my back itches.

What's up with that?

Do you have any weird body quirks?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 14 Old 11-08-2010, 04:21 PM

I don't know if this counts as a quirk, but both of my children sneeze 2 times each when they walk outside into sunshine.

DD: I'm bored and want to play Me: What about me? I can play. DD: No thanks, I mean a real person.
#3 of 14 Old 11-08-2010, 04:36 PM

No fun quirks...lol

I have a disorder called "Nail Patella Syndrome". I have no thumbnails, except for a half one on my right hand. I only have partial kneecaps, and walk on my toes. I could have my feet corrected by having the muscles in my calves cut and stretched, but no thank you..lol I also have crooked arms..Almost like my elbows are put on wrong. All characteristics for someone with Nail Patella.
#4 of 14 Old 11-08-2010, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterproofmascara View Post
I don't know if this counts as a quirk, but both of my children sneeze 2 times each when they walk outside into sunshine.
Both my son and I do this too. DH always feels its necessary to comment on it...every.time.

I get motion sick really easily. I can't watch most movies or HDTVs. The latest manifestation of this is I get nauseous when I lie on the floor. Oy.
#5 of 14 Old 11-08-2010, 06:56 PM

When I cut my fingernails, my nose itches.
#6 of 14 Old 11-08-2010, 07:00 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
When I get overly tired or stressed out, I have these weird tic things. It's just a split second, but if I'm holding something, like a pen, I'll drop it. It started when I was 12 and when I was 22 I found out they were actually juvenile partial clonic seizures. I think it's actually kind of sad that I have such poor body image that for years I was mistaking a seizure disorder for one more weird and unpleasant thing about my body.

With this twin pregnancy, my belly button has gone completely flat. It's so odd looking. My oldest saw it and was all "Oh my gosh, Mom, what happened?!?!?!?!"

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#7 of 14 Old 11-08-2010, 07:00 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
My lower back feels like it's being tickled when someone whispers in my ear. My dad has the same quirk. Also, when I sleep in the car, my jaw is out of whack for a really long time, like a day or so. I know I have TMJ or something like it, but it's weird that sleeping in the car exacerbates it for some reason -- not riding in a car, only sleeping in a car.

My littlest, who is 3, sneezes 3-4 times every single morning as he's getting out of bed/walking in here to find me.
#8 of 14 Old 11-08-2010, 07:06 PM - Thread Starter

Oh, yeah, I forgot about this one:

Whenever I drink soda, I can't gulp it. I raise the soda to the roof of my mouth and have to suck it down in little bursts. It takes about 3 little sucks to swallow one sip of soda (no matter how big or how small the sip is). If I gulp soda it hurts my throat.
#9 of 14 Old 11-08-2010, 07:16 PM

Hmm, lets see.

The weirdest one, there is a spot on my left cheek. If I stroke it, or someone else strokes it, it muffles the hearing in my right ear.

Also my nails (toe and finger) grow in such a way that they are almost impossible to break but when they get long enough I can just pick the ends off in one piece so they are just the right length.

Finally I have absolute pitch and I have a giggle button. No one else is allowed to know where/what the giggle button is except for DH. Just know that when "pressed" I tend to giggle like a school girl.

malesling.GIFMutant Papa to DD (12)hippie.gif and DS (2)babyf.gif, married to DHribbonrainbow.gif
If it looks like I'm trying to pick a fight... I'm not, I'm rarely that obvious.hammer.gif
#10 of 14 Old 11-09-2010, 12:31 AM

Whenever I clean my right ear (not left ear) with a Q-tip, I break into a coughing spasm.
#11 of 14 Old 11-09-2010, 12:45 AM

If someone tickles my neck on the left side or my left ear, I get goosebumps on only the left side of my body, and vice versa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD5351 View Post
I have a disorder called "Nail Patella Syndrome". I have no thumbnails, except for a half one on my right hand. I only have partial kneecaps, and walk on my toes. I could have my feet corrected by having the muscles in my calves cut and stretched, but no thank you..lol I also have crooked arms..Almost like my elbows are put on wrong. All characteristics for someone with Nail Patella.
This is really interesting! I am taking genetics right now, so I had to Wikipedia this. Thank you for sharing! Do you have a parent with Nail-Patella?

love.gif

#12 of 14 Old 11-09-2010, 01:32 AM

If I blow my nose too hard it comes out my eye

I cannot sneeze less than three times

I have a bad gag reflex and throw up pretty easily. This is a big shameful one for me cause I try to be tough but then if the milk goes bad I hurl. I have also laughed so hard I threw up.

Not all those who wander are lost 
#13 of 14 Old 11-09-2010, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three~Little~Birds View Post
Whenever I clean my right ear (not left ear) with a Q-tip, I break into a coughing spasm.
Me too! though it doesn't seem to matter what ear...

Come ponder with me about food!
#14 of 14 Old 11-12-2010, 06:26 PM

Sometimes when I swallow food, it goes up instead of down, and gets stuck somewhere in my nasal cavity.  It happens lots when I eat pasta or rice, and every single time I eat Twizzlers.  Sometimes I'll have food up there for several days before it comes down (it gets really annoying when it's something like a piece of carrot and I keep smelling carrots all day).  And I have to pinch my nose closed when I throw up or it comes out my nose.

I'm so ticklish that people can "tickle" me without actually touching me.  My husband is good enough at it he can do it from six feet away.

When I have a foot fall asleep, it doesn't happen gradually; I get about thirty seconds' warning, and if I don't move in time, my whole leg is asleep up to my hip.  And it's extremely painful waking up - the pins and needles feeling is so strong I cry sometimes.  Funny, but I still feel most comfortable sitting cross-legged on the floor.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page