Is there a non-toxic deodorant that actually *works*? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 55 Old 12-15-2010, 10:20 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

The two I've found that work for me are Funk Butter (Oyin Handmade is the company) and the Jason stick deodorant. Kiss my Face is worthless against my stank, personally.

Me+DH+DS1+DS2+Dog=me and a house full of guys, which is really just peachy, thanks.
#32 of 55 Old 12-15-2010, 08:32 PM

I end up rotating through several different types, and I concur about Tom's of Maine that others have noted...it works for one day then it cranks up my natural stink BIG TIME!  Crystal stone works for a while then foop!  Stops working.  So I keep doggedly rotating through my stuff, then buy a few more to mix into the rotation, and keep going from there.  Someday I will find my Holy Grail of natural deos, until then, I'll just keep spining the wheel.  :)

#33 of 55 Old 12-15-2010, 09:23 PM

I really like Miessence deodorant.  It's frequently written up by green beauty writers as being one of the few natural deodorants that actually work.  You can get it at www.YourOrganicLife.com

For those of you struggling with odor, have you considered changing your diet?  It's possible you need to add a good quality probiotic to your diet.  If you get your bacteria count in the right ratios you may find a decrease in odor.  I've also known people that have had good luck when they've switched to a raw or mostly raw diet.  If you go the probiotic route, make sure it's certified organic from fermented living whole foods, not one that's fast tracked in animal feces.  

It's also possible you just need to detox the toxins from your body and then won't have odor issues.  

treehugger.gif
#34 of 55 Old 12-18-2010, 01:01 PM

For those having problems with the baking soda (irritation etc.), what worked for me is to first put on some sort of natural deodorant or coconut oil (anything soothing, the purpose it just to protect your skin) and then dust baking soda on top of that (I use a makeup brush). I've been doing this for over year and it works great! The baking soda still protects against odor, but it's not in direct contact with the skin. Previously I used the coconut oil/ bs/ cornstarch combo or lotion mixed with bs and always got red, irritated pits. The super added bonus is that dusting the baking soda on top works even better (for me anyway) than mixing it and putting it directly on my skin AND I can do this immediately after shaving or epilating without any irritation.

Quote:
I always hear whispers on natural-type forums that Arm and Hammer baking soda has aluminum in it

I'm pretty sure the reason for this rumor is that some baking POWDER does indeed contain aluminum. But baking SODA is just sodium bicarbonate.

On the other hand, the crystal deodorants most definitely contain aluminum. A lot of the places selling them say stuff about the aluminum molecules being too big to absorb or something. I choose to not use them at all. The whole reason I don't use conventional anti-perspirant is I try my best to avoid extra exposure to aluminum.

Hope this is helpful!

#35 of 55 Old 12-19-2010, 01:07 PM

Yet another person who LOVES the coconut oil/cornstarch/baking soda recipe!  OMG! It works better than anything I have ever used, The Crystal included.

I make a batch and then put it in empty deodorant containers.  It is chilly in the house now so the solidity is fine but in the summer I keep it in the fridge because it melted.

#36 of 55 Old 12-27-2010, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veslemor View Post

I always hear whispers on natural-type forums that Arm and Hammer baking soda has aluminum in it.  It's not on the package, and even Dr. Mercola was asking on his site whether anyone knew that it was so.  So I guess what I'm doing is spreading a rumor :P, but it's something for people to think about when choosing a brand of baking soda.

I always buy Bob's Red Mill Aluminum Free Baking Soda.  I did come across an article about aluminum in some b.s. so I decided not to chance it and I'm very happy with this brand.  I use it for all my cooking too.

#37 of 55 Old 12-31-2010, 04:35 AM

For a while I just washed with some bs in the shower then sprayed on a mix of rubbing alcohol and TTO after my shower (burns on freshly shaven pits!) It worked for a while, even thorugh the summer, then I got pregnant and I think the hormone change must have done something because I started to get stinky bo again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anniegirl View Post

For those having problems with the baking soda (irritation etc.), what worked for me is to first put on some sort of natural deodorant or coconut oil (anything soothing, the purpose it just to protect your skin) and then dust baking soda on top of that (I use a makeup brush). I've been doing this for over year and it works great! The baking soda still protects against odor, but it's not in direct contact with the skin. Previously I used the coconut oil/ bs/ cornstarch combo or lotion mixed with bs and always got red, irritated pits. The super added bonus is that dusting the baking soda on top works even better (for me anyway) than mixing it and putting it directly on my skin AND I can do this immediately after shaving or epilating without any irritation.

Thank you for this! I've tried the Funk Butter before and got super red, irritated pits from it (the one w/out eo.) I thought about making my own like mentioned above but I was worried the same thing would happen. I've tried Tom's and Jason's but they just don't work. I just started using the Crystal Rock (I'm not too concerned about aluminum) and it's working great so far. If it stops working for me or when I run out (or get bored :D) I think I'll try the co & dusting on bs.

Trish~mama to Kaelie 5/03 and Amelia 12/13, surro mama to Aidan 2/08 & Ellyss 6/09, 

#38 of 55 Old 08-05-2012, 09:36 AM

Does it make a mess on your white shirts or other shirts? I have found that some natural deoderents leave oils or discolorations on my shirts. Because you are a working mom I would imagine you have some nice work clothes you trust it with?

#39 of 55 Old 08-05-2012, 05:39 PM

I still swear by Funk Butter. I have formal business attire at my work- no issue. On rare, rare occasions, I'll wear "standard" deodorant with a sleeveless black dress but I'm literally talking about 1x per year. I couldn't advocate more for it- I've handed it to a few friends and gotten them all hooked smile.gif Deoderant crack smile.gif
#40 of 55 Old 08-11-2012, 07:28 AM

Admittedly, I haven't read through the whole thread, but I just use coconut oil mixed with essential oil.  Works great. No stink. Soft armpits.

Mother to 6

12, 11, 9, 6, 3, 1

Pray, Hope and Don't Worry

#41 of 55 Old 08-26-2012, 07:52 PM

Ethelpea--What essential oils do you mix with the coconut oil?  I'd love to try this as baking soda gives a rash and arrowroot/cornstarch don't help control odors.  Thanks!!

#42 of 55 Old 09-05-2012, 06:42 PM

If you let your armpit hair grow, then you will not need deodorant. That's what the hairs are there for!

#43 of 55 Old 09-06-2012, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthLoveMama87 View Post

If you let your armpit hair grow, then you will not need deodorant. That's what the hairs are there for!

This doesn't work for me, and I haven't shaved in over a decade. And it sure doesnt work that way for most guys, and none of them shave!

I'm okay if I am at home for recreating, but when I am at work I need deodorant. I don't mind my natural scent, but the people at work are sure not going to appreciate it in a professional setting. I've noticed that if I am stressed out about something that I start to stink more, so if I am having a stressful day at work I need something effective.
#44 of 55 Old 11-06-2012, 12:59 PM

The best deodorant in the world is Green Virgin Products. It's totally non toxic and works better than anything. I have been using the same one for almost 4 years and it works every day. No odor at all, even if I exercise and get sweaty. It only costs $5.95 too. Here is a link. http://www.greenvirginproducts.com/mineral-salts-deodorant-stone-4-25-oz-120-grams/

#45 of 55 Old 11-07-2012, 05:33 PM

I used crystal spray and roll ons successfully for a number of years.  Then they just stopped working.  I scrambled for a long while trying other natural things, making my own, etc.  What is now working perfectly and consistently every day is LAVILIN Deodorant.  I only need to apply this cream once every 12 or 13 days.  It really does work for me that long!  I had to try it a while to see how much I could trust it, but now I know that for me I can go almost two weeks with no deodorant at all!  I love it!  It's wonderful to just wash and go most days, no need to wait for stuff to dry, etc.  I use the original version, made in Israel.  (I have read that the NOW Foods version is not as effective.)

#46 of 55 Old 11-23-2012, 11:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Hi there! I started this thread a couple years ago and have something new to add:

I was using the basic deodorant recipe linked to by a PP (the one with coconut oil, baking soda and corn starch). I used it for the last couple years and it does work, however the second batch I made I think I used too much baking soda...or maybe I tried a different brand of coconut oil or something, I don't know, but the consistency was different and I didn't like it as much anymore.

So, I happened to come across this recipe for homemade deodorant: http://frugallysustainable.com/2011/11/homemade-probiotic-deodorant-that/   and decided to try it. It has a way longer and more complicated ingredient list. I live in central Europe and it literally took weeks for me to gather all the ingredients and I had to order some stuff online. Plus, you cannot say this saves money over store-bought. I didn't calculate the price but honestly it is probably equivalent to store-bought high quality all natural deodorant. Anyway I made it a couple weeks ago and I love it!!!! I made one plain and one scented with an essential oil. I believe I added too much cocoa butter, as it smells too chocolatey and although it's perfectly solid it does get a little smeary when I put it on. But once it's on it doesn't stain my clothes and it totally works! Next time I will add less cocoa butter and perhaps a bit more beeswax. Oh and probiotics are nearly impossible and extremely expensive to get in this part of the world so I left that out. ....and as a bonus, I realized that lip balm is made from some of the same ingredients so I just ordered a bunch of empty lip balm tubes and am going to try my hand at that now too!!!

Good luck to anyone wanting to try this, it is awesome stuff!

Mama since 2010
Multicultural living in Europe
#47 of 55 Old 01-05-2013, 06:04 AM

I probably already posted on this thread (it is old) but I use two:

coconut oil with essential oil mixed in

diluted magnesium oil (full strength stings, so I use a 1 part mag, 1 part water mix in a spray bottle), just a few squirts and rub in.  Amazing.

Mother to 6

12, 11, 9, 6, 3, 1

Pray, Hope and Don't Worry

#48 of 55 Old 01-11-2013, 05:39 PM

The Nature of Beauty's Pit Potion works really well. 

Dreamer, writer, wife, and mom to little guy baby.gif & my spirit babe candle.gif 

namaste.gif treehugger.gif goorganic.jpg whale.gifdog2.gifcat.gif

#49 of 55 Old 01-15-2013, 04:16 AM

Haven't read the thread in full.....  After prego #2 my armpits were STINKY.  So bad I would bring an extra shirt in the car because I might have to change.  Ugh, horrible.

Found 'Coconut Snow' at a local market and it worked.  Finally no stink!  I have since made my own concoction with coconut oil, baking soda, some TTO and jojoba but I can't get the consistency the same as Coconut Snow.  I find straight CO works sometimes, but not all the time.  The CSnow does separate in summer months, and in the winter it is hard to get out of the tube.  I will order more this summer when I am stateside then dump it out of the squeeze bottle into a little tub so i can stir it. I see they have it in stick now, so I'll try that too!

http://www.medicineflower.com/cosnde.html

#50 of 55 Old 10-04-2013, 12:34 PM

To the person who said the purpose of pit hair is to deodorize, Sorry, but pit hair won't help or deter odor. Perspiration is normally odor free. However, when bacteria start to break down its chemical components, the result is pit odor. Humans have longer hair on their heads, arm pits and genital area. Scientists believe the purpose of this hair is to insulate those areas on the skin most needing protection.

#51 of 55 Old 11-10-2013, 02:26 PM

Interesting thread.  :-)

I've had issues with odor forever.  Nothing would work.  Not even the harsh mainstream deodorants. 

Then on a whim this summer, I tried a more natural version from this site:

http://shop.kingsroadapothecary.com/collections/salves/products/rosemary-mint-deodorant

It's a Rosemary-Mint deodorant using a mixture of coconut oil, baking soda, mango butter, corn starch and essential oils.  It's the first product that's ever helped. 

I am super curious to make my own now too.  Thanks for the links.

hh2.gif

#52 of 55 Old 11-11-2013, 09:51 PM

Honestly, the best natural deo and the only deo I use is just unrefined coconut oil.  I slather on liberally and I smell divine (if I do say so myself). :)

#53 of 55 Old 12-11-2013, 01:52 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
I think that this issue is best addressed from the inside out - drinking clay, eating a preservative-free and wholesome diet, and tolerance and even joy in the natural aroma of a human being.
#54 of 55 Old 12-23-2013, 03:17 PM

I know this is a super old thread, but I have been taking Chlorella (micro algae), and it has taken ALL smell away. I also use a homemade deodorant, but I do not have to use it much. :D

pumabearclan likes this.

Shane mama to three boys!! Wife to an amazing man.
#55 of 55 Old 12-26-2013, 10:43 AM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)

I also eat algae. It has many benefits, in addition to detoxifying. Thanks for mentioning it.

Hormones can affect body odor. The hormones produced by stress (adrenaline and others) are the ones that have the strongest and most unpleasant odor.

Tags
Natural Body Care , Toms Of Maine Natural Deodorant , Toms Of Maine

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page