Is there a non-toxic deodorant that actually *works*? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 55 Old 11-11-2010, 05:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I don't think I'm a particularly stinky or strong-smelling person, but I have noticed that thus far none of the non-toxic deodorants I've tried work. Some (like Tom's) work sometimes, but then on days when I really sweat forget about it. So far the best I've found is Aubrey's 'E Plus High C' .

I'm in Germany, the world leader in natural cosmetics, and yet still all the brands I've tried here (Dr. Hauschka, Lavera, etc) leave me smelling after a long day at work. So do I have to just resign myself to this if I want to avoid harsh chemicals? I suppose I can just bring it with me and reapply throughout the day, but if possible I'd rather not. Please share if you've found a deodorant that actually leaves you not smelling after a long day. I'll be in the US soon and can stock up.

And while we're on the topic, I avoid anti-perspirants as they all contain aluminum (as far as I know), but yet sometimes I notice I have sweat stains under my arms at work, which is not very nice in that situation. I don't mind sweating per se, I think the body needs to and I don't want to stop that, but for work sometimes I'd love to find a non-aluminum, non-toxic anti-perspirant. Does such a thing exist?

TIA!

Mama since 2010
Multicultural living in Europe
#2 of 55 Old 11-11-2010, 10:23 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Try a deodorant crystal.  I love mine!  smile.gif

rachelalfreda likes this.

Formerly known as "JessicaRenee".  hang.gif  Single mama to Jude (Sept '09)!  biggrinbounce.gif

#3 of 55 Old 11-11-2010, 10:27 AM

I also do very well with my crystal, but I'm not generally a sweaty person to begin with.

One thing I learned (at MDC, I believe) is that to apply the crystal, you should wet it, then swipe it back and forth on your armpit 20-30+ times. Once I started doing this, it worked a LOT better.

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

#4 of 55 Old 11-12-2010, 08:19 AM

I wasn't sure if you would want to make your own, but this is the one I make.  Hubby and I both use it, and I've been super happy with it.  I have always had trouble with deodorant's and anti-perspirants, so I decided to try this one after the rave reviews.  There was a short adjustment period, where I didn't think it was working (a few days), and then it was over and it's been wonderful ever since.  Here it is incase you would be interested.

http://www.passionatehomemaking.com/2010/02/homemade-all-natural-deodorant.html

#5 of 55 Old 11-12-2010, 11:51 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies. My question is: what are those deodorant crystals made of? I was under the impression it was some kind of aluminum salt, which we're trying to avoid in the first place. If it's really nontoxic, then I'll give it a try.

I may also try making some from that recipe, thanks!

Mama since 2010
#6 of 55 Old 11-12-2010, 11:54 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Baking soda mixed with the body cream of your choice, whatever you are not sensitive to.  Best deodorant I've ever used.  Takes care of stinky adolescent pits too.  V. cheap and easy to make, just mix some skin cream and baking soda in, as much as you can and have it still be creamy, not crumbly.

That recipe above with the coconut oil looks really great, similar concept.

#7 of 55 Old 11-13-2010, 03:44 PM

From their website (http://www.thecrystal.com/faq.cfm)

As always, much of the confusion centers on the term Alum vs. aluminum chlorohydrate and aluminum zirconium. Aluminum chlorohydrate and aluminum zirconium are the ingredients found in most antiperspirants. Crystal™ deodorants do not contain these ingredients. Crystal™ deodorants are made of the mineral salts, potassium alum in the liquids and ammonium alum in the solids. These compounds are very different from the ingredients found in antiperspirants. Alum is a completely different compound that has a larger molecular weight. Our data shows that molecules of alum are too large to be absorbed through the skin and in any case, even if it were possible for alum molecules to be absorbed into the skin, such amounts would be inconsequential in daily use.  According to a study of our deodorant properties by Aigner McLaughlin Associates, an independent testing, consulting and research lab based in Portland, OR (please note that this study was not commissioned by Crystal™ but, instead, by one of our customers), it is not meaningful to conduct an absorption test because the possibility of absorption of aluminum ions through the skin “is miniscule compared to everyday intake through food, water (and inhalation), thus making any analysis data statistically insignificant.”  We believe in the absolute safety of Crystal™ deodorants.

Formerly known as "JessicaRenee".  hang.gif  Single mama to Jude (Sept '09)!  biggrinbounce.gif

#8 of 55 Old 11-13-2010, 06:47 PM

http://ultimatemoneyblog.com/how-to-make-deodorant I use this recipe and it works very well!

J, mom to my baby girl born January 22, 2012!  babygirl.gif

#9 of 55 Old 11-15-2010, 04:57 AM

I swear by Funk Butter.  I always get the Black Cedar Fig scent as it works best for me and I like the smell (and it doesn't irritate me).  I've used it exclusively for over 4 years now.  I AM a stinky person otherwise.  I use this daily, run marathons, and do ashtanga yoga.  If it can work for that, it can work for anything!

Good luck!

iris777888 likes this.
#10 of 55 Old 11-15-2010, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessicaRenee View Post

As always, much of the confusion centers on the term Alum vs. aluminum chlorohydrate and aluminum zirconium. Aluminum chlorohydrate and aluminum zirconium are the ingredients found in most antiperspirants. Crystal™ deodorants do not contain these ingredients. Crystal™ deodorants are made of the mineral salts, potassium alum in the liquids and ammonium alum in the solids. These compounds are very different from the ingredients found in antiperspirants. Alum is a completely different compound that has a larger molecular weight. Our data shows that molecules of alum are too large to be absorbed through the skin and in any case, even if it were possible for alum molecules to be absorbed into the skin, such amounts would be inconsequential in daily use.  According to a study of our deodorant properties by Aigner McLaughlin Associates, an independent testing, consulting and research lab based in Portland, OR (please note that this study was not commissioned by Crystal™ but, instead, by one of our customers), it is not meaningful to conduct an absorption test because the possibility of absorption of aluminum ions through the skin “is miniscule compared to everyday intake through food, water (and inhalation), thus making any analysis data statistically insignificant.”  We believe in the absolute safety of Crystal™ deodorants.

Alum is aluminum sulfate, AlSO4.  It is actually a much much smaller MW compound than the aluminum chlorohydrate Al12Cl12(OH)24  and aluminum zirconium (tetrachlorohydrex gly, a gamish of various anionic and cationic complexes).  The Al in aluminum sulfate is 2+ and I think it is 3+ in the other two ions but I'm not sure whether that should make a difference to absorption.

I'm actually not clear on what the concern with the aluminum is in the first place (other than it closes your pores which doesn't seem like a good thing), but overall I think if you are concerned about aluminum-containing antiperspirants then you should be equally concerned about the crystal.  Which is extremely effective IME, it seems to work just as well as the commercial antiperspirants which is totally not surprising since it contains a very similar active ingredient. 

cyclamen and rachelalfreda like this.

Me, DH, DD1 (5/2009) and DD2 (10/2011).
I'm not crunchy. I'm evidence-based.

Vaccines save lives.

#11 of 55 Old 11-16-2010, 06:10 AM

I'll second Scarlettmoon's suggestion.   I've had great success with the recipe, mind you, you will perspire, but it won't stink.  I live in a hot and humid climate and I've also discovered that if I eat semisweet chocolate ( you know, chips right out of the bag that don't make it into the cookies) my perspiration stinks. That is the only time  I seriously notice  a change. 

#12 of 55 Old 11-17-2010, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennlyn View Post

I'll second Scarlettmoon's suggestion.   I've had great success with the recipe, mind you, you will perspire, but it won't stink.  I live in a hot and humid climate and I've also discovered that if I eat semisweet chocolate ( you know, chips right out of the bag that don't make it into the cookies) my perspiration stinks. That is the only time  I seriously notice  a change. 

Agreed, this recipe is wonderful- I was shocked by how well it worked.  I am thrilled to be using something that I know is not harming my body in anyway.  :)

#13 of 55 Old 11-18-2010, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlettmoon View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennlyn View Post

Agreed, this recipe is wonderful- I was shocked by how well it worked.  I am thrilled to be using something that I know is not harming my body in anyway.  :)

it's true! i finally made this recipe and OH WOW! it really does work! i checked out the funk butter and i liked the black fig suggestion, so i made my deoderant with tea tree oil, cedarwood oil and jasmine absolute oil. dh loves it and was all over me orngtongue.gif

i was stinking soooo bad! i have all those nursing hormones going and even though i shower once or twice a day and eat all natural/organic foods and have no chemicals in my home, my underarms smelt like i had been touring with the dead and hadn't showered in a month! ROTFLMAO.gif

chicken3.gif    happy homesteading-homebirthing-homeschooling-student midwife-mama to a small handful of little ones and joyful wife to my artist man.

#14 of 55 Old 11-18-2010, 10:46 AM

Kinda makes one wonder about how the mainstream deodorant industry even *happened*, when the baking soda based homemade deodorants are just *so* effective????  Plus being so cheap and easy to make???

#15 of 55 Old 11-18-2010, 10:53 AM

I use Herban Cowboy and it works fairly well. I wanna try the baking soda one now though! I sweat a TON in the winter and I'm not sure how the one I use now will hold up.

Mother to one Little Flower Childdust.gif 3/08 and one little squirmy boy babyf.gif 4/12 homebirth.jpg, Wife to fuzmalesling.gif,I am a Vegan Pagan. We familybed1.gifnovaxnocirc.gif mdcblog5.gif!

#16 of 55 Old 11-22-2010, 03:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mambera View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessicaRenee View Post

Alum is aluminum sulfate, AlSO4.  It is actually a much much smaller MW compound than the aluminum chlorohydrate Al12Cl12(OH)24  and aluminum zirconium (tetrachlorohydrex gly, a gamish of various anionic and cationic complexes).  The Al in aluminum sulfate is 2+ and I think it is 3+ in the other two ions but I'm not sure whether that should make a difference to absorption.

I'm actually not clear on what the concern with the aluminum is in the first place (other than it closes your pores which doesn't seem like a good thing), but overall I think if you are concerned about aluminum-containing antiperspirants then you should be equally concerned about the crystal.  Which is extremely effective IME, it seems to work just as well as the commercial antiperspirants which is totally not surprising since it contains a very similar active ingredient. 

For me it's the plugging the pores that bothers me...I mean, the body expels sweat for a reason and it seems like purposely clogging your own plumbing to do that! Also, the fact that aluminum is theoretically linked to Alzheimer's (although in the brain, not necessarily through the skin) makes me want to cut it as much as possible out of things entering my bloodstream.

Mama since 2010
#17 of 55 Old 11-26-2010, 03:02 PM

Weleda, Weleda, Weleda!

They make great spray deodorants that really work. I find their Rose one works fantastically.

I had great success with those rock crystal deodorants, until one day it stopped working, never to return again.

But frankly - if you are not worried about powder on your pits, use straight baking soda, it works miracles.

jemar likes this.

mom to: M born Aug 2011 & K 2yo

#18 of 55 Old 11-27-2010, 06:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I wasn't sure if you would want to make your own, but this is the one I make.  Hubby and I both use it, and I've been super happy with it.  I have always had trouble with deodorant's and anti-perspirants, so I decided to try this one after the rave reviews.  There was a short adjustment period, where I didn't think it was working (a few days), and then it was over and it's been wonderful ever since.  Here it is incase you would be interested.

So I made this and have been using it four days now, and so far it works! I wore it one day when I was carrying baby all through the city all day, and I get really hot in that situation and normally my shirt is all smelly under the arms, but this time it wasn't! Wow!

One thing: it seemed a little too oily as I was making it so I added more cornstarch and a little more baking soda, and it seemed perfect. Well, after packing it into a jar and waiting a day to use it, I realized it really hardens a lot when left to sit. So now it's a little too hard and gets kind of crumbly when I scoop it out....I guess packing it in an old deo stick holder would work the best in this case, so I'll do that next time.

Thanks for all the recommendations, if I ever need to buy deodorant again I now know which ones, and I'm really psyched in the meantime to be making my own cheaply and easily, and it works!!!!

Mama since 2010
#19 of 55 Old 12-07-2010, 09:35 AM

I can't wait to try the deodorant recipie! Hopefully I will be able to get the coconut oil this week.  Not to sound silly, but is it the same coconut oil in the grocery store? I found an organic one made by spectrum, it was about $8.50/jar.

#20 of 55 Old 12-08-2010, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdm1024 View Post

I can't wait to try the deodorant recipie! Hopefully I will be able to get the coconut oil this week.  Not to sound silly, but is it the same coconut oil in the grocery store? I found an organic one made by spectrum, it was about $8.50/jar.

Hubby and I use Nutiva Organic unrefined coconut oil for our cooking purposes, and so we buy it in bulk and that is what I use for the deodorant and moisturizing purposes.  But I'm sure the stuff at Walmart would work fine.  :)

#21 of 55 Old 12-08-2010, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.J. View Post

Quote:

One thing: it seemed a little too oily as I was making it so I added more cornstarch and a little more baking soda, and it seemed perfect. Well, after packing it into a jar and waiting a day to use it, I realized it really hardens a lot when left to sit. So now it's a little too hard and gets kind of crumbly when I scoop it out....I guess packing it in an old deo stick holder would work the best in this case, so I'll do that next time.

I didn't even think to post that it hardens more after it sits- sorry about that.  :)  I keep it in a glass jar with a lid and just scoop a bit out everyday and use it like lotion on my armpit.  The stuff is amazing, it really is.  Glad you liked it.  I have family members that want me to make them some, so I think I'll put it in pretty jars and add it to their Christmas gift this year, along with the recipe.

#22 of 55 Old 12-14-2010, 09:16 AM

I want to try those recipes now!

But in case you're in love with roll-ons, I HIGHLY recommend Terressentials deoderant (one of the very few 100% natural and 100% organic companies out there) I've tried all the other natural ones, but this is the only one that works: http://www.terressentials.com/bath.html#deo

#23 of 55 Old 12-14-2010, 10:00 AM

I'm so excited to try the make-it-yourself deoderant!  I tried every natural deoderant out there and nothing worked for me but the crystal. Then I got lazy and went back to regular anti-perspirent. blush.gif  But I'd really love to go back to something natural if it really works! 

photosmile2.gif Me= crunchy mama to one rambunctious toddler, born on October 1, 2009. And one sweet little baby born January 19, 2012. heartbeat.gif

#24 of 55 Old 12-14-2010, 11:43 AM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

So after YEARS of struggling with this I found the best every natural deodorant on etsy from soapwalla. Not only does it work super well, no bo, but it doesn't react with skin to create smellier-than-bo stink AND it cured my Tom's of Maine rash. DH likes it too. No adjustment period.

I actually bought several to give to family members this year.

#25 of 55 Old 12-14-2010, 03:18 PM

Ooh, I'm excited about the make-it-yourself recipe. 

But I'm a busy mama who works a lot, so will for the moment just chime in with YinYang's post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by YinYang View Post

I swear by Funk Butter.  I always get the Black Cedar Fig scent as it works best for me and I like the smell (and it doesn't irritate me). 

Love love love it!  I have been using it for nearly 3 years (since pregnancy where I found it recommended here on the Mothering forums) and swear by it.  I've gotten several friends hooked too!

jldumm likes this.

Mama to Gabriel (1-10-2009) and newborn Helena (10-9-2011) h20homebirth.gif with DP Julio.  ...cloth diapering, attachment parenting, infant EC-ing, etc.

#26 of 55 Old 12-14-2010, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudiAU View Post

So after YEARS of struggling with this I found the best every natural deodorant on etsy from soapwalla. Not only does it work super well, no bo, but it doesn't react with skin to create smellier-than-bo stink AND it cured my Tom's of Maine rash. DH likes it too. No adjustment period.

I actually bought several to give to family members this year.

Does this stain the armpits of your knit shirts at all? I had a natural deoderant that I loved, but it left dark stains, kind of oily, probably due to the natural oils in it.

#27 of 55 Old 12-14-2010, 04:05 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I tried a bunch of aluminium-free and crystal deodorants, and found most worked for a while but stopped after maybe a month or so... and some just didn't work at all. I have four half-used bottles in my bathroom cupboard... should probably throw 'em out! One's tea tree oil-based, one's a spray version of crystal deodorant... can't remember the others. I also used a crystal stone once, but it stopped working after a bit and also developed hairline cracks in it, which sliced up my armpits when I tried to use it. Ow.

Then I discovered baking soda mixed with coconut oil, and it WORKS! I mean, I still have to shower - it's not like one of those industrial will-kill-the-smell-of-a-sewage-plant types. But it stops me ponging. :) And it's worked consistently for a few months now.

Only... I've just recently noticed a rash or discolouration or something on my armpits. Anyone know what this might be? I'd hate to have to stop using my mixture - it's so cheap and handy!

I have heard someone say that plain coconut oil works as well - presumably due to its antimicrobial properties or something? Haven't tried it. You can mix EO with the oil too, but I'm pregnant so trying to avoid essential oils. I've used just plain baking soda in the past, but it didn't work for me - for one thing, it was a pain to pat on, and could easily leave odd clumps and streaks of whitish powder, and for another thing it didn't really stop me smelling.

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#28 of 55 Old 12-15-2010, 06:24 AM

I just use straight baking soda, which works fine for me, but I don't generally sweat a lot and only get smelly if I have a cold or something like that. 

#29 of 55 Old 12-15-2010, 07:42 AM

The one that always works for me is by EarthScience, made with lichens (which they spell "liken" on the front of the container).

I have a new favorite product that I use under my arms that seems to work also as a deoderant, which has the added benefit of boosting your bodies' magnesium levels (which is why I use it).  The hands-down best price I've found is here  http://www.swansonvitamins.com/SWU481/ItemDetail?n=0

It is bottled by a German woman, so it is likely available to you for domestic purchase as well.  A quick snippet on magnesium supplementation:  For me, it was the only thing that helped for bone healing in a broken leg, lessens chronic pain (especially nerve), gives me more energy, lessens brain-fog, and I no longer suffer any PMS or menstrual cramping.

It's a fairly salty solution (probably why it works as a deodorant, like the Crystal one), so if you shave and get any nicks, you will be made aware of them by the salty sting.

#30 of 55 Old 12-15-2010, 07:53 AM

I always hear whispers on natural-type forums that Arm and Hammer baking soda has aluminum in it.  It's not on the package, and even Dr. Mercola was asking on his site whether anyone knew that it was so.  So I guess what I'm doing is spreading a rumor :P, but it's something for people to think about when choosing a brand of baking soda.

Tags
Natural Body Care , Toms Of Maine Natural Deodorant , Toms Of Maine

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page