Any moisturizer recommendations? I keep making expensive mistakes... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 25 Old 11-21-2010, 09:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm pregnant and looking for a healthy moisturizer. I bought an organic product line called NUDE which was way pricy and ended up containing Hyaluronic Acid which isn't proven safe for pregnancy. Then I stopped in a Lush store. I was tricked by their "fresh handmade cosmetics" tag line. When I asked them about the safety of their ingredients they read them off to me except for the last couple...parabens.  Yes, I should have read the bottle myself. Anyone have any products they like? I tried just using olive oil but I can't stand the feel of it on my skin. Any recommendations?

Wife to DH, mommy to DS(4/23/08) and 3rdtri.gifdue in May!selectivevax.gifcd.gif
#2 of 25 Old 11-22-2010, 10:53 AM

Honestly, the next time I moisturize I'm just going to slather on straight coconut oil...

My skin is SO DRY lately. I can't use soap more than once a week or it itches and then flakes off. My cuticles were peeling until I started putting coconut oil on them...

It's all natural and works!

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11
#3 of 25 Old 11-22-2010, 10:57 AM

I "cleanse" with olive oil and moisturize with coconut oil.  LOVE it!

hippie.gif+reading.gif= Peanut (2004), Pumpkin (2007) and Butter Bean!! (2011)

#4 of 25 Old 11-23-2010, 05:09 AM

I have combination skin, so I either use organic aloe vera gel from Vitacost on oily days or I use Aubrey Organics Sensitive skin moisturizer.  It's the best stuff imo.  Before I use a tiny drop for my whole face, I spray my homemade "light moisture-toner" (organic aloe vera juice, witch hazel, and some eo's if I'm feeling up for it).  This helps to spread the moisturizer around better and stretch it longer.  If your skin tends towards more dry than not, Aubrey has thicker varieties.  Check out www.cosmeticsdatabase.com to check the ratings of something before you buy it. You can also check www.drugstore.com to read all the ingredients.

rachelalfreda likes this.

Living Simply and Enjoying Life
#5 of 25 Old 11-24-2010, 07:18 AM

Update: I used coconut oil all over after getting out of the shower last night. It stayed a bit slick and shiny for awhile (DH didn't mind lol *winks) This is the first morning I've woken up and not felt like I was turning into a lizard.

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11
#6 of 25 Old 11-28-2010, 07:13 PM

I LOVE Mothers Special Blend skin toning oil. Its all natural and only has 5 ingredients nothing scary. :) I got my bottle when i was about 11 wks preggers and just now ran out at 30 weeks, I rub it all over my belly, bum, boobies, sometimes face when im extra dry and hands after shower. Its great!! I bought mine at Whole foods which is in another town so looks like Im going to have to order online. Its a really really really great product.

Hope this helps.

Coconut oil is delish too..

#7 of 25 Old 11-28-2010, 08:57 PM

Skin Food by Weleda. I use it every morning and my skin looks great. Highly recommend.

Mother to L.O. born at home 10.17.08 EDD for #2 4.21.2011
#8 of 25 Old 12-01-2010, 07:22 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone I will check out the Weleda and Aubrey...I'm still not sure if I can stand straight oil. I liked the results when I tried it a few months ago but for some reason it gives me the heebie jeebies. 

Wife to DH, mommy to DS(4/23/08) and 3rdtri.gifdue in May!selectivevax.gifcd.gif
#9 of 25 Old 12-01-2010, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WriterMom2be View Post

Thanks everyone I will check out the Weleda and Aubrey...I'm still not sure if I can stand straight oil. I liked the results when I tried it a few months ago but for some reason it gives me the heebie jeebies. 

When you check out the Weleda look for the Rose or the Iris moisturisers...Skin Food (suggested by a PP) is very heavy.  If feeling oily bothers you Skin Food will bug the crap outta you.  The Weleda face lines are divine though, and have less oily residue.  Especially the Iris line.

#10 of 25 Old 12-05-2010, 12:54 PM

so olive oil cleanses?

also, i like the idea of using coconut oil but it is so greasy and doesn't really seem to absorb well? are there brands that work better somehow?

thanks!

lisa

#11 of 25 Old 12-05-2010, 01:08 PM

We all use coconut oil around here and it does absorb within minutes.  I buy Spectrum Organic Coconut Oil :)

lady.gifLacey, wife to an emerging author notes.gif,  mama to whistling.gif(6),bikenew.gif(4),  angel1.gif our Angel Faith born to Heaven April 2013 & Expecting our Rainbow Baby #4 July 2014 luxlove.gif 
#12 of 25 Old 12-05-2010, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisycullen2003 View Post

so olive oil cleanses?

I first read about the Oil Cleansing Method here on Mothering, but googling brings up lots of results too.  There are several oil recommended, but I've always had olive oil on hand and just used it with fantastic results.  When I first started using it I had oily-to-combination skin and thought it sounded kind of crazy but figured giving it a try couldn't hurt anything.  It worked fine then and it works great now with all the changes my skin has undergone after 2-1/2 pregnancies.  :)

I read on a blog about using coconut oil for moisture and again figured it couldn't hurt to try it.  I LOVE it.  It does go on super-oily and takes some getting used to, but absorbs really quickly into my skin.

hippie.gif+reading.gif= Peanut (2004), Pumpkin (2007) and Butter Bean!! (2011)

#13 of 25 Old 12-06-2010, 12:11 AM

Jojoba oil might be worth a try for anyone that finds olive or coconut too oily. I use it as a facial moisturizer, but prefer olive or avocado for the rest of my body.
#14 of 25 Old 12-07-2010, 09:22 AM

Another option is Aloe.  I keep a potted aloe plant growing in the bathroom.  Pluck off a "leaf" or half-leaf and squeeze out the aloe.  It's a really nice non-greasy moisturizer.

dog2.gifcrochetsmilie.gif Lovin' my sweetheart, pregnant with #1 (EDD Feb.2013) stork-suprise.gif

#15 of 25 Old 12-07-2010, 10:35 AM

You may want to try different methods for applying any oils to reduce the "heebie jeebies".  orngbiggrin.gif

For me, the trick to using any oil is two-fold.

1) The oil itself is not moisturizing. What oil is best at is trapping the moisture, so spritzing rosewater on my face first is trick #1. Any moisture will do, though....staying damp after a shower, leaving your face damp instead of drying it, spritzing any predominantly liquid product, etc. This also has other benefits, such as being able to spread the oil easier to control the quantity for different skin types...and more.

2) I have normal skin now (used to be quite oily until I changed my skin care habits) and I only need a bit of oil at night all over my face. I discovered specifically with coconut oil that I only need 1-2 drops when it is in the liquid state (above 75 degrees) and half of a nail scraping (using back of fingernail, not underneath) when it is in the solid state. I let it warm and melt further by rubbing my fingertips together and spreading the oil over all finger pads before applying to my whole face, neck, and decolletage. This light coverage is plenty for my skin and is not greasy/oily after it soaks in, which takes only a few minutes. I rub the residue into my cuticles using circular massage...added bonus of always having healthy fingernails!

I use a homemade eye "cream" day and night (a single drop spread between my two ring finger pads), so the area around my eyes gets a double dose of oil at night and a single layer in the daytime. In the morning, I extend it up into my forehead between my eyes and out to the temples and tops of my cheeks (think "raccoon mask" LOL). In the evening, I apply this oil first and the residue gets added by default to the coconut oil all over my face, neck, and decolletage. I spritz with rosewater day and night, which is also a light moisturizer.

DAY:

1. Wash face, neck, and decolletage with Jason's rosewater hand and face soap.

2. Spritz with Heritage rosewater. (I spritz from the top of my head down to my heart center, for healing purposes.)

3. Apply one drop of my eye oil blend (raccoon mask).

4. Lately, I have been applying coconut oil just to my throat for healing purposes.

5. If we are going to be out in the sun for a significant portion of the day, I apply a sunscreen moisturizer all over. (I use the mineral-based sunscreens only.)

NIGHT:

[If I wore makeup, then I wash my face. I don't usually, so I often skip that in the evening.]

1. Spritz face, neck, and decolletage with Heritage rosewater. Sometimes I use a cotton ball and apply it like a toner instead, which also "cleanses".

2. Apply one drop of my eye oil blend.

3. Apply 1-2 drops of coconut oil (or half a nail scraping) all over face, neck, and decolletage. Rub residue into fingernails / cuticles.

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

#16 of 25 Old 12-08-2010, 09:49 PM

love all of these ideas. thanks for sharing!

lisa

#17 of 25 Old 12-08-2010, 09:56 PM

I've been using coconut oil for a couple years as my only moisturizer.  In the little glass jar I use, I shake several drops of tea tree oil and mix it up and that helps with some acne. You can also squeeze in some aloe vera gel into the mix. OR just do straight coconut oil. It does NOT leave my face oily in any season.

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).
#18 of 25 Old 12-09-2010, 09:14 AM

I use olive oil when i'm in a pinch, but I prefer to use grapeseed or walnut oil. 

When I have time, I like to melt a healthy slice of cocoabutter (from those queen helene sticks you can get at CVS/Walgreens) with a couple of tbsp of cocanut oil.  I'll shave some beeswax into it too, if I have any, to thicken it up. Once that's all melted together I dump in a bunch of walnut or grapeseed oil and mix it all together.  Once it's uniform, i'll pour it into a stray bottle (usually a burts bee's lotion bottle with the press release cap) and add some EE (neroli, lavender, and nutmeg usually)

I use it all over my body (including face) after showering and it absorbs quickly - it's pretty light (especially if you omit the beeswax.)

As far as a face wash, I just use some BS/water (I do no-poo.)  I like to exfoliate with peanut butter, and my son loves to watch me while I do it!!

#19 of 25 Old 12-15-2010, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieAnn View Post

Another option is Aloe.  I keep a potted aloe plant growing in the bathroom.  Pluck off a "leaf" or half-leaf and squeeze out the aloe.  It's a really nice non-greasy moisturizer.

Just be careful not to use the skin, only the gel.  The skin can cause irritation and allergic reactions.  If you are using a product with aloe in it make sure the aloe and preferably the entire product is certified organic.  Otherwise you are likely getting parabens from the aloe.  Most non-organic aloe is preserved with parabens...even when the company says it isn't.  The only way to know for sure is to use organic.

The best way to know your products are safe and free of toxic synthetic chemicals, pesticides, GMOs and other nasties is to buy certified organic.  There are a lot of greenwashers on the market making organic and natural claims that don't hold up.  What you put on your skin is absorbed into your blood stream and into your organs.  Unlike food, it doesn't go through the metababolic process to help break down and remove toxins, so it's particularly important that your personal care products be organic.

treehugger.gif
#20 of 25 Old 12-16-2010, 04:55 AM

I get an organic aloe gel from Vitacost that's the purest I've found, It's called Aloe Life http://www.vitacost.com/Aloe-Life-Whole-Leaf-Aloe-Vera-Skin-Gel-Unscented

Living Simply and Enjoying Life
#21 of 25 Old 12-16-2010, 05:34 AM

I use a homemade oil scrub in the shower for body moisturizing. If I use that regularly, I find I don't have to do too much other moisturizing. The scrub is mainly olive oil and brown sugar but I will also add coconut oil or whatever nut oil I have on hand. Using the scrub is the last thing I do in the shower and I try to air dry afterward so I'm not rubbing off the oils.

I'm still on the hunt for the right facial skin care routine, so I'm going to experiment with some of the ideas here!

I'm a morning person.  We actually do exist.
#22 of 25 Old 12-17-2010, 01:55 PM

I've tried so many different things, so I know how you feel! Lush dissapointed me too with the parabens and Sodium Laureth Sulfate, which they glibly told me is derived from coconut. Anyways, I use pure Shea butter, I rub a little between my palms so it turns to oil and spread it on my face with the tips of my fingers.  I put more on my hands, belly, lips, legs, etc. You get the idea! A little goes a long way. I get mine from a old fashioned drugstore based in St Augustine, FL, their website is www.oldcityremedies.com.  I get 100% pure African black soap from them too, which is amazing.  I also have some very nice moisturizers from Nature's Gate, got them at a good price at my local TJ Maxx. I also have a skin tightening serum which is great from Organix.

#23 of 25 Old 12-17-2010, 02:23 PM

So glad to see this thread!  I am in the market for a great moisturizer as I do had to leave Lush because of my concern with some of the ingredients.  I loved their moisturizers, but alas - I'm a fan of Coconut Oil for all over - but the trick is to just use a little bit otherwise it is too greasy. 

I'm still in the hunt for a gentle cleanser and I've had some success with honey lately.  

SunnySandiegan - I love your regiment with rosewater!  That was a favorite item of mine to use, before I had kiddos  winky.gif

treehugger.gifAnd you who seek to know Me, know that the seeking and yearning will avail you not, unless you know the Mystery: for if that which you seek, you find not within yourself, you will never find it without.treehugger.gif

#24 of 25 Old 12-17-2010, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _ktg_ View Post

So glad to see this thread!  I am in the market for a great moisturizer as I do had to leave Lush because of my concern with some of the ingredients.  I loved their moisturizers, but alas - I'm a fan of Coconut Oil for all over - but the trick is to just use a little bit otherwise it is too greasy. 

I'm still in the hunt for a gentle cleanser and I've had some success with honey lately.  

SunnySandiegan - I love your regiment with rosewater!  That was a favorite item of mine to use, before I had kiddos  winky.gif

Cool! I really love it and I never really liked the smell of rose-scented toiletries until I smelled this one specific brand of rosewater. Lucky for me, the guy in the hfs encouraged me to smell all the rosewaters before buying. One of them really stunk and made me feel ill instantly. Another one was just eh. The Heritage brand was a perfect fit for me. thumb.gif

This discussion of Lush reminds me of my vacation in British Columbia one summer. A friend and I were camping our way around and when we were in Whistler, I discovered Lush. This was over eleven years ago and I really loved some of their products, but could only buy a couple at the time due to travel restrictions (bare bones camping, etc). I never could find them locally once I was home and eventually I found them online, but shipping was outrageous back then. Ultimately, I never ended up using any of their products except the two I purchased in Whistler. Fascinating how things work out for the best...

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

#25 of 25 Old 12-27-2010, 11:11 PM

Wild Carrot brand has all natural (actually all natural) ingredients in all their products including non-GMO vitamin E. I LOVE their "Lord My Hands Are Dry" lotion. And best of all, they are actually affordable. They are homemade in a tiny town near me. Their website is www.wildcarrotherbals.com. Try them out! They also carry great natural products for babies.

rachelalfreda likes this.

Tags
Natural Body Care

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page