Why No POO?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 12-01-2010, 04:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Why is shampoo so terrible? Seems to me all the agony going through the no poo trial and error is just nuts. Greasy hair, scraping sebum, smelly scalp? Can you all please explain the importance?

I only wash my hair 2-3x a week, its very thick wavy almost curly and looks weird if i over wash. My partner has crazy curly hair and only washes his 2x a week w/Dr. Bronners which i tried and had dull haystack hair. SO im not a freakey have to wash everyday kind of gal but  just wondering what all the hype is about.

Thank You.

#2 of 5 Old 12-02-2010, 02:33 PM

I, personally, have had few problems with no-poo, but then I don't do it regularly. For myself, it's a challenge. It's fun. And it's more natural.

#3 of 5 Old 12-06-2010, 08:13 AM

The idea is to avoid the chemcials, especially sodium lauryl sulfate.

No-poo seems to imply BS/ACV but I think you can use real soap (not detergent - most popular soaps are detergents these days) including Dr. Bronner's, or whatever you like.

SLS is an industrial degreaser, and it's an irritant. What goes on your body gets absorbed more than we usually think. Some people think it's cancerous but it's debated.

It's just a choice, you sure don't have to make this choice.

A_Random_Phrase likes this.

Homeschooling mama to 6 year old DD.

#4 of 5 Old 12-06-2010, 11:48 AM

right, the initial trial and error makes for a lifetime without depending on products at all.  my hair is super soft and i "wash it" once every two weeks or whenever we roll around in the mud. treehugger.gif

A_Random_Phrase likes this.
#5 of 5 Old 12-08-2010, 11:43 AM

I'm doing the BS/ACV route (it's been about two months now), and have had to adjust the amounts now and then.  So far, I haven't gone through the greasy stage, but that may be because I have EXTREMELY dry hair that I thought was beyond repair.  It was embarrassing to me, and was due to health issues that I'm working out.  This no-poo has given me my hair back- I finally look normal for the first time in about two years.  It's soft, workable, and looks pretty darn healthy.  It's worth it to me to mess with it, and even if I go through a bad stage I will stick it out because I'm slowly trying to get rid of as many chemicals as I possibly can.

Tags
Natural Hair Care , Natural Body Care

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page