11 yo wants to make lip gloss - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 12-13-2010, 06:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

She saw a kit in Magic Cabin catalog and wants it now.  I suppose in the giant scheme of things, Magic Cabin wouldn't be a big deal for shopping, but I hesitate buying a pre-fab-mass-marketed kit.

So, I was hoping someone here could help out.  I'm willing to buy some ingredients from multiple places to put together our own "kit" - but I don't really know where to start.

While I'm at it, i wonder if I could find ingredients that I wouldn't be allergic to?  I'm massively allergic to commercial chapstick, and I'm constantly battling eczema on my lips, much worse in the winter.  I can't even kiss hubby or kids if they use Burts Bees or other stuff.  I can't figure out which ingredient I'm allergic to, either.  :(  My dermatologist suggested using aquaphor, but I don't want to use a petroleum product.

thanks!

--janis

Mama to 3 girls 12,8,3
#2 of 5 Old 12-13-2010, 07:01 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

simple potted gloss can be nothing more than cocoa butter softened with a bit of coconut oil.  wanna thicken it?  shea butter.  want it more solid in a tube?  add some grated beeswax.  essential oils are good, but start small so she doesnt burn her lips. 

Bring back the old MDC
#3 of 5 Old 12-13-2010, 07:04 PM - Thread Starter

but where do I get these things?  She probably wants flavors and stuff, and since I'm allergic, I'm rather ineffective with helping her with this stuff.

Mama to 3 girls 12,8,3
#4 of 5 Old 12-13-2010, 07:41 PM

I think you should be able to find everything at Whole Foods. Definitely the shea butter and coconut oil, and very likely the beeswax. I've also seen essential oils there as well.

I've gotten peppermint oil (which would be great in a lip balm) in the baking section at Hobby Lobby. They also have beeswax and other supplies for lip balm including little pots and tubes.

For you if your'e not sensitive to it, plain coconut oil works really well as a moisturizer.

Mama to two crazy boys (8/05 & 9/07) and happy wife to one wonderful hubby.
#5 of 5 Old 12-14-2010, 05:49 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

you can get supplies at joann's but i like to buy NOW brand butters and EOs at vitaglo.com

for flavors, i just googled and found this:

http://www.naturesflavors.com/default.php?cPath=221

also saw this one:

http://www.sterlingextractcompany.com/Concentrated_Natural_Fruit.html

for tubes and pots, i shop here:

http://www.specialtybottle.com/index.asp?PageAction=Custom&ID=76 

HTH!  :)

Bring back the old MDC

Tags
Natural Body Care , Natural Beauty Products

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page