Melaleuca - Valid company or scam? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-14-2010, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Has anyone every used Melaleuca Wellness Company products before? I'm not sure if this is something good to get into (use their products, not be a rep) or if this is a scam of some sort? Their products seem more natural based, but I can't tell if it is just slick marketing and pretty pictures. Any information would be helpful.

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2010, 01:34 PM

I think it depends on how you define "legitimate".  I believe it is a fairly long-standing pyramid-type company that sells a reasonable quality product. Many people on the bottom making lots of money for the few people at the top. Not entirely unlike most corporations, I suppose. Everybody I know who's used their cleaning supplies has said good things about them.

Diane, SAHM to DD (June 05) and DS (April 07).
::::
Old 12-15-2010, 10:38 PM

They aren't a pyramid company.  They do direct sales.  The business model isn't a scam.  That being said, they are a HUGE greewasher.  Their products are loaded with toxic synthetic ingredients.  If natural/organic is what you are looking for, Melaleuca isn't the one.

treehugger.gif
Old 12-15-2010, 11:15 PM

what she said.

Both! Melaleuca is a legitimate company that provides products... if the monthly commitment is reasonable for you and prefer to have things delivered over going to the store, give it a try. But the sales teams are operating on less than stellar ethics when they tell mamas this is a job. I think if you believe the b.s. and are willing to feed it to others you actually can make money doing this. If you have high standards for products and don't like to schmooze, stay away!!

Old 12-16-2010, 07:23 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all of your replies. I think I'll continue using my vinegar, baking soda and Dr. Bronner's instead.wink1.gif

Old 01-01-2011, 07:01 AM

My dad once got roped in to Melaleuca.  He bought quite a few products initially but quit soon after.  I cannot testify to the 'natural' or 'organic' content of their product BUT their tooth polish was hands down THE BEST I have every used.  Over fifteen years later I still remember the amazingly clean feeling my mouth had.  Too bad it was just sooooo expensive.

Old 01-06-2011, 11:15 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)

The company is legitimate and has some good benefits to membership but there is a monthly commitment. The products I would say are probably better than a lot you can buy at the store and they offer some good info on the products in the educational materials. That being said they are still strong products and I'd much prefer to make my own cleaning products - less toxic, not a strong, less expensive.

Michelle mom to DD , DS , & lil DD plus and spending my days
Old 02-15-2011, 11:42 AM

I have used Melaleuca for 7 years ever since my daughters had "allergies" and my husband had "psoriasis" that disappeared after using their products.  As for the business side of it, we have been doing it and having success at it.  The deal is with a lot of people is that they think they start a business like this and sit back and do nothing.  It is a business, businesses take 2 - 3 years to grow and start pulling in revenue.  Now ours didn't but that doesn't mean everyone will be able to.  Also IT IS NOT A MLM.  Education time.  Pyramid scheme is when people invest money and sign up people under them and get paid for it, no products or services are given (illegal)!  MLM - is when products are bought by a Indepent Contractor and then tries to sale and sign up more people.  If the indvidual does NOT make their quota they lose they sign ups!  Melaleuca - is customer direct sales - meaning you are simply enrolling people to shop there for safer and less expensive products.  Sam's Club, Costco, SAME THING.  The prices at Melaleuca is actually cheaper because their products last longer thus stretching the dollar further and less garabe in the landfills.  I stand behind Melaleuca who is only guilty of trying to make this world a safer place for our children and our future!  [email protected]

Old 02-15-2011, 11:49 AM

The toothpaste is remarkable!  But how can you say it's too expensive??  1 tube is $3.89 where Crest is $3.97 at Walmart plus Crest has

Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS), an ingredient that is known to dry out your mouth and cause canker sores. It's harsh chemical that causes damage to the oral tissues lining the inside of your mouth. 
Sodium Fluoride.- One of the main ingridients in rat and cockroach poison. Fluoride exposure disrupts the synthesis of collagen and leads to the breakdown of collagen in bone, muscle, skins, cartilage, lungs, kidney and trachea.

Old 02-15-2011, 11:56 AM

There is NO monthly commitment.  If you want a lower price then you would have to stay a preferred customer but nobody is forcing you.  Second it is either the same price or cheaper than your grocery store so all you are doing is switching stores and saving.  Saving money and your health.

Old 02-15-2011, 12:20 PM

I used their products for over a year and loved them, but I also feel that I can get similar products (7th generation, etc.) anywhere without the hassle of a monthly commitment and shipping costs.  We canceled due to financial reasons.

I had it set up so I didn't have to sell to anyone (not sure how it worked, my MIL did that because it was the only way I'd join).  I had to buy 35 points a month, which amounted to about $40-50.  Then shipping usually cost about $10.  Some months I did feel like I was buying stuff just to get to my 35 points.  I always bought extra vitamins.

Their cleaning products were wonderful - but no better than what you can buy for natural products in the store.  I did, however, love their vitamins.  They were the only vitamins that I could take without gagging when I was pregnant.  They also have a fish oil pill that's made specifically for pregnant women.

Their beauty products weren't as natural as other items though.  They only seemed a slight step up from standard drugstore type beauty products.

But I never felt scammed or like I was in a pyramid scheme.  When I canceled my membership, I just said I had to leave for financial reasons on a form, mailed it in, and that was that.  They haven't bothered me once about rejoining or anything.

Tags
Natural Body Care
User Tag List