Looking for suggestions for a "natural" safe face lotion - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 26 Old 12-29-2010, 05:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I have already switched to Dr Bronners to wash my face. Now I am looking for a new face lotion. I use a face lotion or cream everyday. I put it on and then put my makeup on soon after so I like something that soaks in right away. I would love to switch to something more natural and safe. I also hope to find something within my budget. It would be great if I can pick up something at my local store.

Suggestions? What do you use? What have you tried and liked?

partners.gif Wife to mysuperhero.gif             
hang.gif Mommy to thehomebirth.jpg miracle of our love lovestory.gif  our sweet dog2.gif andchicken3.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 26 Old 12-29-2010, 10:47 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Would you consider DIYing?

You could use straight jojoba oil, which is very close to the skin's natural sebum.  You only keep a few drops to cover your entire face and it soaks in quickly.

You could add a few drops of EOs to the jojoba oil that are good for your skin type as well.  Be sure and keep it at 1/2% of the total amount for the face and neck.

If you're adventurous, you could try mixing other oils with the jojoba.

What we think we become.
#3 of 26 Old 01-19-2011, 10:35 AM

I use olive oil.

I like the idea of mixing in EOs!

Mama to Xavian, born 11-24-09
#4 of 26 Old 01-19-2011, 10:46 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)

I swear by jojoba oil.  I wash with Bronner's Baby Mild and occasionally with castor oil.  I use a clean washcloth to gently scrub and then after I get out of the shower I use 2-3 drops of jojoba oil on my face and throat.  My fave EO to add is lavender.  I buy NOW brand oils on vitaglo or vitacost for pretty cheap.  When you only use 2-3 drops/day, 4oz lasts forever!

Bring back the old MDC
#5 of 26 Old 01-19-2011, 12:35 PM

My face would shrivel up and run away if I washed it with DrB but I adore and swear by Josie Maran Argon Oil. It's lovely.

http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P218700&om_mmc=esv108602-GG&om_kwpur=109737058&ppc_crid=5762682857&sbanner=us_search&esvcid=S1295469235_ADOGOE_AGI1215455_CRE5762682857_TID109737058_RFDd3d3Lmdvb2dsZS5jb20%3d

Boys: 12/94, 1/99, 11/03, 6/11. Girls: 11/06, 10/09, 12/12 2ndtri.gif

#6 of 26 Old 01-21-2011, 11:32 AM

I have oily, acne-prone skin that gets flaky in winter (best of both worlds, aren't i a lucky girl?), so i wash with a warm, wet wash cloth and slather on some organic aloe vera.  Oil cleansing method helps, too.

#7 of 26 Old 01-21-2011, 06:51 PM

I have bad acne (nasty cystic type) and I've recently started using a few drops of vitamin E oil with a few drops of Lavender EO and TTO mixed in and my face looks so good! No new zits and the old ones are just going away. My skin is very soft too. I don't wear make-up so I'm not sure how it would do under make-up.

Trish~mama to Kaelie 5/03 and Amelia 12/13, surro mama to Aidan 2/08 & Ellyss 6/09, 

#8 of 26 Old 01-22-2011, 11:20 AM

i am a big fan of jojoba oil and lavendar. I could drink lavendar, i love it so:)

Me and Dh partners.gif, Dd1bouncy.gif  Dd2dust.gif,Ds1joy.gif, 2flowerkitty.gif, 2hamster.jpgand lots of goldfish.gif

#9 of 26 Old 01-23-2011, 06:39 PM - Thread Starter

I have tried both Jojoba and Olive Oil. They both seem too greasy for me and make my skin breakout. I really don't breakout too often otherwise. I wish it were that simple. I love Olive oil on my hands! maybe I am using too much? I do seem to have sensitive skin.

Oh, and I also LOVE lavender!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amber913 View Post

I have oily, acne-prone skin that gets flaky in winter (best of both worlds, aren't i a lucky girl?), so i wash with a warm, wet wash cloth and slather on some organic aloe vera.  Oil cleansing method helps, too.

I might try the aloe vera. What is oil cleansing method?

hang.gif Mommy to thehomebirth.jpg miracle of our love lovestory.gif  our sweet dog2.gif andchicken3.gif

#10 of 26 Old 01-24-2011, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livinlovinlaughin View Post

I have tried both Jojoba and Olive Oil. They both seem too greasy for me and make my skin breakout. I really don't breakout too often otherwise. I wish it were that simple. I love Olive oil on my hands! maybe I am using too much? I do seem to have sensitive skin.

Oh, and I also LOVE lavender!

I might try the aloe vera. What is oil cleansing method?

Since you love olive oil, but it makes you break out, I'd suggest olive squalane.  This should not cause breakouts and is great for sensitive skin.  You only need to use a few drops.

OCM (oil cleansing method) is the use of certain oils that cleanse the skin.  In your case, since olive and jojoba are an issue, I'd recommend sunflower and castor with a bit of lavender EO.  Start with a ratio of 70/30 and adjust to suit your skin.  The castor is an astringent oil.  Other astringent oils are hazelnut and grapeseed to varying degrees.

What we think we become.
#11 of 26 Old 01-24-2011, 10:18 AM

This ocm is interesting.

Can you give me a routine?

I have dry skin, but also breakout's and oily too :) Great huh!

Me and Dh partners.gif, Dd1bouncy.gif  Dd2dust.gif,Ds1joy.gif, 2flowerkitty.gif, 2hamster.jpgand lots of goldfish.gif

#12 of 26 Old 01-25-2011, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ella-makes-3 View Post

This ocm is interesting.

Everyone is different, but you could try it about 3 times a week for a couple weeks, then weekly for maintenance.  Some do it every day, though.

What we think we become.
#13 of 26 Old 01-25-2011, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edensong View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ella-makes-3 View Post

This ocm is interesting.

Everyone is different, but you could try it about 3 times a week for a couple weeks, then weekly for maintenance.  Some do it every day, though.

Edensong I was hoping to ask you a question about the OCM. As you mentioned above, " about 3x a week, then weekly for maintenance" i understand that this is using one of the astringent oils +EO  but would I still follow that astringent oil application with a moisturizing oil application like the jojoba mixed with EO? Thanks so much for all your posts! 

Marias

:
#14 of 26 Old 01-26-2011, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by makalani View Post

Quote:

Edensong I was hoping to ask you a question about the OCM. As you mentioned above, " about 3x a week, then weekly for maintenance" i understand that this is using one of the astringent oils +EO  but would I still follow that astringent oil application with a moisturizing oil application like the jojoba mixed with EO? Thanks so much for all your posts! 

Marias

Hi Marias,

Glad to offer any help I can.

It's not just the astringent oil +EO(s).  It's a combo of a couple oils, one being astringent, but I think I understand your question.  I don't think it matters.  I've done it both ways.  If my skin feels a bit tight after using the OCM, I've taken a couple drops of the OCM mixture and used it like a moisturizer.  I've also used my anti-aging serum afterward.  On other occasions, I haven't used anything.  I think you just need to experiment.  There is no right or wrong way to do it.  It's more about what works for you.

HTH

What we think we become.
#15 of 26 Old 01-26-2011, 09:55 AM

I use jojoba oil or coconut oil as a moisturizer.  Although I don't always need it.  I switch between washing my face with dr bronner's peppermint and a high quality caster oil (straight up... works better for me than the full OCM) and when I use the castor oil straight up and take the time to just let the hot water wash it off rather than pulling out a bit of DrB to get it off more quickly, my skin usually doesn't need a moisturizer.  Whatever I use to wash my face with though, I let it soak in while I do something else.

I've heard aloe vera is really good for the skin too although I haven't tried it yet.  I want to.  I have absolutely awful skin that nothing has worked for.  The castor oil and jojoba/coconut oil routine has done the best of anything I've tried my entire life but I still have zits and now a face full of scars *sigh*  I like tto and lavender too of course although I can't say I ever noticed much of a difference between using them or not using them.

#16 of 26 Old 01-27-2011, 06:16 AM

I have red, flakey, patchy dermatitis the whole length of my t zone, ugh, I try not to complain since it could be worse, like not having skin on my face at all for instance ;) but I do  notice an improvement with it's appearance shortly after I use lavender EO but not the kind of improvement that would allow me to stop using the oils all together. Basically any improvement must be accomplished by EO application. I always hope that the EO accomplishes some deep healing and I will not need the oils anymore but so far that hasn't happened.

Thanks Edensong for your response! I will experiment a bit and see what happens. jojoba has been my go to oil but I would like to try coconut and see what happens. 

:
#17 of 26 Old 01-27-2011, 06:54 AM - Thread Starter

I have recently given my jojoba oil another chance and have been only using about 2 drops. I am having much better results so far!  Thank you all.

makalani:

I was just ready about treatment for dermatitis. I was finding that people were having wonderful results with a 50/50 solution of acv and water, mostly on their scalp. Some mentioned using on the face. Just an idea.

Quote:

I have red, flakey, patchy dermatitis the whole length of my t zone, ugh, I try not to complain since it could be worse, like not having skin on my face at all for instance ;) but I do  notice an improvement with it's appearance shortly after I use lavender EO but not the kind of improvement that would allow me to stop using the oils all together. Basically any improvement must be accomplished by EO application. I always hope that the EO accomplishes some deep healing and I will not need the oils anymore but so far that hasn't happened.

Thanks Edensong for your response! I will experiment a bit and see what happens. jojoba has been my go to oil but I would like to try coconut and see what happens. 

#18 of 26 Old 01-27-2011, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treeoflife3 View Post
I have absolutely awful skin that nothing has worked for.  The castor oil and jojoba/coconut oil routine has done the best of anything I've tried my entire life but I still have zits and now a face full of scars *sigh*  I like tto and lavender too of course although I can't say I ever noticed much of a difference between using them or not using them.

Helichrysum essential oil is legendary use for scar treatment (old or new).  Flax seed, hazelnut, rosehip seed, olive oil or sweet almond oil work well with helichrysum essential oil.

Try a mixture of 1% of helichrysum oil with 15% of flax seed oil and 84% of hazelnut oil. Apply 2 to 3 times a day for 3 - 6 months to see significant results.

Quote:

Glad to help.  Hope it works for you.

Here's a wonderful blend for itching skin, dry eczema or dermatitis, which also doubles as a great after-sun blend if used in a moisturizer. It helps to heal the skin, keep it moist and stop itching.

4 drops Lavender EO
3 drops Cedarwood EO

2 drops German Chamomile EO
1 oz grapeseed oil or unperfumed moisturizer

What we think we become.
#19 of 26 Old 01-27-2011, 11:28 AM

Order from full Circle baby!

#20 of 26 Old 01-31-2011, 01:45 PM

Sweet!!! I am on it!! Is full circle a store front on the Mothering. com site? 

:
#21 of 26 Old 02-01-2011, 07:35 AM

Coconut oil has worked the best for me so far but I have not tried jojoba yet!

#22 of 26 Old 02-01-2011, 08:27 AM

I know of an online health and wellness store that offers over 350 products that only uses safe, healthy ingredients that all come from the United States.  These products include almost everything people use in their homes on a daily basis.  Laundry, dish washing, vitamins and supplements, cleaning supplies, a full line of make-up products, and much more.  None of their products contain bleach, Formaldehyde, phosphates, or any other caustic chemical.  They offer a fortifying vitamin face lotion that has a power-packed blend of vitamins(A, B3, B5, B6, C, & E).  Also has a peptide, carnosine, that helps tone and provides superior skin moisturization using Tremella mushroom extract, which can hold up to 500 times its weight in water.  Uses a safe, natural, non-irritating preservative - Japanese honeysuckle.  The price for all of these products are comparable, if not less, than national brands.  Check out this link to learn more!http://www.switchingstores.com/luckymama

Hope this is helpful..... Make it a great day!

#23 of 26 Old 02-01-2011, 12:01 PM

Okay so if I am buying coconut oil to use on my face with EOs am I buying it in the cooking section of my health food store in a jar? I also saw some that was refrigerated too???

Thanks in advance for your help!

:
#24 of 26 Old 02-02-2011, 10:03 AM

Quote:

Okay so if I am buying coconut oil to use on my face with EOs am I buying it in the cooking section of my health food store in a jar? I also saw some that was refrigerated too???

Yes, look for organic virgin coconut oil.  Whole Foods carries 3 brands in my area -- Spectrum, their own 365 brand, and Artisana.

What we think we become.
#25 of 26 Old 02-02-2011, 10:17 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Yes, look for organic virgin coconut oil.  Whole Foods carries 3 brands in my area -- Spectrum, their own 365 brand, and Artisana.

The usually also have nutiva which is the refrigerated one. Go for WF brand unrefined. Its the best price, is organic and works great.
#26 of 26 Old 02-04-2011, 09:50 PM

I heard Artisana is awesome!  Of course my HF store got it in right after I bought a different brand.  I think if have 'Now" brand...

Quote:

Quote:

Tags
Natural Body Care , Dr Bronners

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page