If you get your eyebrows "done" (or do them yourself...) - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 55 Old 01-08-2011, 01:02 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nan411 View Post

I get my eyebrows, upper lip, and chin threaded. I (should) go about every 3-4 weeks. I pay $23 plus a 2 or 3 dollar tip.Sometimes I wait too long and I start to look like a dude with a mustache and goatee...lol. I wish I wasn't so damn hairy as I hate paying that much. I can't wax. I had my face waxed in the past and had a horrible allergic reaction (swollen face, bumps, redness). It was really bad. I would love to get laser hair removal when I have the $ to do so. Does anyone know if it actually works?

I know that the new tech for things like soprano laser (one of the most used hair removal lasers-and the first one that does not hurt) are very good and work for a much longer time-over 5 years, instead of the older lasers that would work for only 3-5 years.

For hair on the face the usual recommendation is electrolysis, which is permanent and better to do precise 'sculpting' with the hairline, etc.

Heavily tattooed and Dready Mama to my girls. YES we are STILL NURSING! love to and
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 55 Old 01-08-2011, 09:09 AM

I tweeze about once a week. I don't feel the need to pay someone to do the same thing with a different method.
#33 of 55 Old 01-08-2011, 09:48 AM

I must say a lot of things ran through my head trying to think wth was threading and none of it was right. Wow thanks for the video! that's pretty cool. Is there any benefits to doing it that way. I do pinch myself often with tweezers.

I've tried waxing at home which resulted in some blood and all my hair staying on my leg, same with sugaring so I don't do that. I tweez at home when I walk by the mirror and scare myself. I was always scared to go in as I didn't want that comma look :x

#34 of 55 Old 01-08-2011, 10:02 AM
Banned

I get them professionally waxed a few times a year for shaping - and I just maintain with plucking in between.  I probably pay about $20 each time.  If I found a place that was $5, I would just do that and not do my own.  That is super cheap.

#35 of 55 Old 01-08-2011, 10:29 AM

I get mine waxed about every month, and tweeze in between. The wax is only $7 before tip.

#36 of 55 Old 01-08-2011, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inkedmamajama View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nan411 View Post

I get my eyebrows, upper lip, and chin threaded. I (should) go about every 3-4 weeks. I pay $23 plus a 2 or 3 dollar tip.Sometimes I wait too long and I start to look like a dude with a mustache and goatee...lol. I wish I wasn't so damn hairy as I hate paying that much. I can't wax. I had my face waxed in the past and had a horrible allergic reaction (swollen face, bumps, redness). It was really bad. I would love to get laser hair removal when I have the $ to do so. Does anyone know if it actually works?

I know that the new tech for things like soprano laser (one of the most used hair removal lasers-and the first one that does not hurt) are very good and work for a much longer time-over 5 years, instead of the older lasers that would work for only 3-5 years.

For hair on the face the usual recommendation is electrolysis, which is permanent and better to do precise 'sculpting' with the hairline, etc.

I had electrolysis on my upper-lip as a teenager. It took nearly a year of treatments and was quite painful. Definitely isn't permanent. greensad.gif Although, I would be hesitant to get laser hair-removal done on my face. It has been known to cause skin-discoloration and/or damage in some cases.

#37 of 55 Old 01-08-2011, 11:18 AM

Threading, all the way. I didn't read the whole thread, by waxing has the rep of pulling your skin and making your lids droopy...my esthetician is a GENIUS!!!! It's not about plucking stray hairs, it's about eyebrow *sculpting* and making the face look completely different. I would drive 100 miles to see her....and threading is CHEAP!!! Like, $12 or something. And she's the owner of a spa :)

ETA every 2-3 weeks (I get lazy sometimes) Going un-sculpted to me feels like having my grey roots showing in public.

I don't think women here are anti-hair removal, although it does go better with the crunchy granola rep hahhaa

#38 of 55 Old 01-08-2011, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by limabean View Post

Well, they do make a shadow - and they are fairly substantial w/o shaping them somehow. Certainly, they would be much more obvious if I had darker hair. The hair color makes it so hard to pluck them though - so you can see them in the mirror but trying to get a tweezer on them is so hard.
Quote:
Originally Posted by annekevdbroek View Post

My hair is white-blonde so plucking as always been very difficult as the hairs are hard to see.

This might be a dumb question, but why do you need to pluck hairs if you can't see them? redface.gif

ETA: I guess if there are lots of them they could create a shadow or something...?

#39 of 55 Old 01-10-2011, 11:50 AM

I pluck mine. Sometimes I screw up and pluck too much, but I'm a perfectionist.

SAHM to my wonderful constellationwild.gif 5/2006 & northern light bouncy.gif1/2009 fly-by-nursing1.giffambedsingle2.gifslingboy.gif
#40 of 55 Old 01-10-2011, 12:02 PM

I have mine waxed a few times a year ($8 + tip), and wax at home in between with Moom, which is my favorite home wax. I've tried tweezing before, but I just can't get over how painful it is! I'll do a few hairs here and there as needed, but prefer wax.

#41 of 55 Old 01-12-2011, 03:42 PM

I charge $20 for eyebrows. My guests recline on a heated hydaulic bed while I wax them using a hard wax which is a bit $$ than tradional strip wax, however it does stick to the skin like strip wax does and I've never had a client with skin lifting like strip wax can cause. I apply a tea tree soothing creme with icy cold stones to calm the area followed by a mineral makeup touch up.

#42 of 55 Old 01-26-2011, 02:07 PM

I get them waxed every month or two & it costs $8 ($10 with tip).  But I'm incredibly poor & can't always afford that. Plus, I'm sort of lazy. *LOL*  I pluck strays when I bother to notice them, and if it's been too long since I've gotten them waxed & I've lost my "shape", I have DH do it for me.  I sell him the line that it's because he's the artist of the family & it's an artistic endeavor (which is all true), but it's also because I get really tired holding my arms up & peering into the mirror that I can barely see (I need glasses) when they get that "out of control"!!  ;)

I would like to have them threaded, just for the change of pace, but by the time I get to the "threading cart" at the mall I'm usually too grumpy from BEING in the mall to sit down & do it. I never remember about getting them threaded when I go to the mall; otherwise I'd make certain to hit their cart FIRST!

I'm not terribly concerned about them, even though I'm extremely pale with black eyebrows!  I've gone years in between waxing gigs before.  Whenever I get them done, though, it "opens up" my face so much & makes such a difference - like I'm wearing some natural-looking makeup, but I'm not!  When I do get it done, I vow to keep up with it because I like the results so much...then I forget as they slowly grow back in. *blush*

#43 of 55 Old 01-27-2011, 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by changingseasons View Post

Tweezers, once or twice a week.  thumb.gif  I'm cheap (aka- too poor to pay someone to pull my hairs out. orngtongue.gif)  

I do the same.  Even if I was rich I wouldn't pay someone to do it... why would I want to get everyone dressed, load everyone up in the car, drive somewhere, drive back, just to do something I can do in a couple minutes at home? lol. I don't think I'm lazy, it's just that going anywhere out of the house with 2 small kids is sooooo much work.

#44 of 55 Old 03-04-2011, 05:08 PM

I tweeze on my own at home, too.  I bought good quality tweezers and I'm sure I've gotten my monies worth by now.  I have to tweeze every week, though.  My hair grows super fast and it is dark.

Christie, DP to Kevin, mama to DD Morgen (12/07) & DSS Matthew (7/03)
#45 of 55 Old 05-03-2011, 09:37 PM

$12-15.i go about every 3-4 months to a salon to get my eyebrows thread. Love it, it makes me feel lavish but in reality it's a pretty cheap thrill. 

#46 of 55 Old 06-03-2011, 09:35 PM

I do my own at home with tweezers, although I do have my brows tinted because for some reason they are wayyyy lighter that my haircolor! lol. The tinting cost $15 every 3 months.

slingtwin.gif Mummy to DS1, 3, hola.gif twins DD and DS2, and wife to DH asl.gif

#47 of 55 Old 06-04-2011, 10:14 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I tweeze mine every week or so and every few weeks I brush the hair up and trim it to keep it short and tidy looking

71952_442535437810_631147810_5798051_1747549_n.jpg

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

#48 of 55 Old 06-25-2011, 04:59 PM

It would probably sound uber creeper of me to comment on how gorgeous you are, so instead I will say "nice eyebrows".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharlla View Post

I tweeze mine every week or so and every few weeks I brush the hair up and trim it to keep it short and tidy looking

71952_442535437810_631147810_5798051_1747549_n.jpg

Heavily tattooed and Dready Mama to my girls. YES we are STILL NURSING! love to and
#49 of 55 Old 06-25-2011, 06:04 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I pluck them at home about once a month, using twizzers.  I found a pair of good regular twizzers with grooved tips much easier to use than eyebrow twizzers.  I do have very steady, precise hands that can always pluck the exact hair I wanted.  It only takes me a couple minutes as I don't need to pluck too many.   My eyebrows are naturally slim and arched.  My mom and best friend get theirs waxed.  They have bushy eyebrows that would take a long time to pluck.

Mom to 2 beautiful autistic boys (12 & 11)  
#50 of 55 Old 06-25-2011, 10:26 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

wow, after finding this thread, my eyebrows feel neglected. all i do is pluck out any 'unibrow' i have when it gets noticeable. i just don't have the time or motivation to get them 'done'

be good family...

#51 of 55 Old 06-25-2011, 11:48 PM

I have reevaluated all hair removal over the past year and eyebrows were the first thing I decided I'm all for! (Literally everything else I'm still on the fence/ not touching for now) I might only get to the salon every couple months, tho. I switch between waxing and threading (sometimes threading is cheaper, but if they're the same I might choose wax to have it over more quickly and just to switch it up), and try to pluck strays every so often between visits. It really brightens up my face and makes me smile when I look in the mirror :)

#52 of 55 Old 11-12-2011, 11:27 AM

I think the shape of the eyebrow is incredibly important, and not just getting stray hairs get cleaned up.  Many people would look so much better with well-shaped brows (some are naturally blessed with a good shape), but IME it's hard to find someone who is great at it.

To me, this is where people who do threading often have a big advantage.  They do it so often that they have a better sense of the right brow shape.   Also, threading to me gets much cleaner, more defined results than any wax job.  I stick to people who do it routinely (if you have salons run by people from India, try them first).  I found a local salon (run by someone from India-- busy with threading customers) that charges $6 total. 

For those with $ and money issues, if you don't love the shape of your brows, let them grow out, and then get them threaded for a few months (depends on rate of growth).  Make sure to tweeze in between.  Eventually you can stick to just the tweezing and get the threading done less frequently.

I don't have any problem with discomfort from wax, threading, or tweezing, so I don't know how to address that issue.

Yes, I have thought a lot about this! :)

2/02, 4/05, 2/07, 11/09, and EDD 12/25/11 wave.gif

#53 of 55 Old 11-12-2011, 07:59 PM

I have only gotten my eyebrows tweezed into shape at a salon one time.  The owner of the salon did the tweezing, and I felt like my brows were very thin, like upside down smiley faces.  I now tweeze only stray hairs at home.  If you can tweeze in natural light, it helps.  I don't have thick eyebrows, so I avoid getting them professionally done now, because for me- most of the hairs are gone forever. I use an eyebrow pencil to enhance now.

Mamma to Sasha (5), Anastasija (2), and expecting a new baby girl this winter!

#54 of 55 Old 11-13-2011, 01:33 PM

I paid $18 at the Aveda place to get my brows done the first time. It had a huge impact on me - I have thick brows (think Brooke Shields in the 80s) and having them professionally done made them look so much better.

#55 of 55 Old 12-12-2011, 11:39 AM

I pay $12 ($15 with the tip) to get mine threaded by an Indian neighbor. They are perfect when she does it. In betweens I use a brow shaper thingie that I got at Walgreens. Eyebrows are the most important feature on one's face IMHO...I love eyebrows. I love *MY* eyebrows ;-)

lady.gifLady to my Fellaheartbeat.gif fuzmalesling.gif, knit.gifMama to my Babies: babygirl.gifDD-10 (Hospital), babygirl.gifDD-7 (UC), babyboy.gifDS-4 (UC), babyboy.gifDS-newborn 9/2/12 (UC)

Tags
Natural Body Care

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page