If you get your eyebrows "done" (or do them yourself...) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 55 Old 01-05-2011, 06:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

What manner of hair removal do you use?  If you get them done somewhere, how much do you pay?  How often do you get them done?

I'm just curious, lol.  I know hair removal is something that is frowned upon by many members here, but there's gotta be someone out there who does their eyebrows :)

I get them done once in awhile now.  I used to have them done all the time (every few weeks).  The first time I had them waxed (this was the day before prom, actually).  I got bumps.. yuck.  I held off for awhile, but about about 6 months later started getting them threaded instead.  The end result is way neater and I'm left with no bumps :)  It hurts a TON more than waxing though, because the process takes longer (especially if I wait months in between like I normally do- lol!).

I pay $5 to get them threaded (waxing is $5 too though so it's not a change in price for me).  There's a salon where I get them done (two actually) but I occasionally go to someone's house (she actually works at the salon I mentioned above) to get them done.  She charges $7 but is able to do a better job without the gossiping with her co-workers and w/o being rushed, etc.  My MIL and SIL also go to the lady's house but they get the whole body wax thing.  So not for me, haha!  I'm content with shaped eyebrows every few months (and just as content with fuzzy eyebrows a month later, lol).

rainbow1284.gif Mama to DD1 (6) DD2 (4) and DD3 (1)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 55 Old 01-05-2011, 06:15 AM

I'm going to move this over to Natural Body Care, but here's my answer:

I used to have them waxed. I think I usually paid between $5 and $8 (plus $1-2 tip) and went every other week or so. I had them done when I had my nail fill-ins. I don't wear fake nails anymore and I do my mani-pedis at home now so I do my own brows. I went several years without touching my brows at all but now I pluck. I will thread (you can find some great how-to's on at-home threading on youtube) every once in a blue moon but I find plucking with tweezers is just as quick and effective for me, and a bit easier to be more precise.

I'm a morning person.  We actually do exist.
#3 of 55 Old 01-05-2011, 06:21 AM

I get mine waxed, though I haven't in a while now. Luckily, I have light hair so it's not noticeable to anyone but me. I pay $12 + tip, I think.

Nicole treehugger.gif  Busy with my two boys.jog.gifdiaper.gif  The 'big boy' too. peace.gifOh, and a sweet baby girl, born at home in October. love.gif

#4 of 55 Old 01-05-2011, 06:30 AM

I get mine waxed too.  I pay about $13 + tip, so usually $15 total.

Tandem nursing, Baby-wearing, Co-sleeping, Car seat-checkin' (CRST) Mama to my sweet boys, Peter (4.20.08) and Jasper (4.25.11).
#5 of 55 Old 01-05-2011, 06:38 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I get mine threaded. Waxing is more painful (to me) and I'm not crazy about the results. My sister also had her eyelids burned badly once-- I haven't tried it since then.

I'd love to figure out a way to do it at home though.

Texmati-- Knitter, Hindu, vegetarian, WOHM. Wife to superdadsuperhero.gif and mom to DS babyf.gif24 months, and DD boc.gif 8 months! .

#6 of 55 Old 01-05-2011, 06:48 AM

I never had my brows professionally threaded, but doing it at home is really not that hard. It is less painful than waxing, that's for sure. This is a good intro video:

I'm a morning person.  We actually do exist.
#7 of 55 Old 01-05-2011, 06:58 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the video DawningMama!  I have actually tried this on numerous occasions, but I can't seem to do it as well as the ladies at the salon can!  Practice makes perfect, I suppose!

rainbow1284.gif Mama to DD1 (6) DD2 (4) and DD3 (1)
#8 of 55 Old 01-05-2011, 07:06 AM

I had mine waxed for years and I loved it. I paid $8 + tip and would have it done every two weeks. I actually really liked having it done - something about the personal attention was fun for me. Now I pluck, which I despise and tend to put off as long as possible. I have thick, black eyebrows which I feel look totally out of place on me, so I like the manicured look. When I move back home I'll be having them waxed, again, for sure!

Perpetually TTC #1.  Let's go, Lightning!
#9 of 55 Old 01-05-2011, 07:25 AM

I have mine waxed 2 or 3 times a year and just try to keep up with it in between with the tweezers.  It's usually $10 + tip depending on where I go.  I'm pretty sure I've never paid more than $15.

I've really wanted to go get them threaded but I have crazy bushy man-brows and I'm afraid it will take forever and end up getting them waxed instead.  I tried to the threading at home once after watching a few videos (including the one posted above) but I just couldn't do it right.

#10 of 55 Old 01-05-2011, 08:19 AM

I had an indian lady do the threading.She did a great job.Used to be $8 per brow,but I bet she raised it.I might pay 10-12,and do my best to upkeep. I only did it maybe 2 times a year.

#11 of 55 Old 01-05-2011, 09:04 AM

I have mine waxed every few months.  My salon charges $5 with a hair cut, and $7 for waxing alone.  I haven't quite gotten the timing down.  If I get my eyebrows waxed with every haircut, my eyebrows are too bare.  If I wait for every other haircut, they are too bushy.  Still experimenting.

#12 of 55 Old 01-05-2011, 09:37 AM

I wax every once in a while and tweeze inbetween.  I have pretty thick eyebrows (or used to!) and I'm paranoid about them getting too thinned so I try not to mess around too much with the shape- just a clean up really.

i watched that video on threading, and i can't see why that is easier or better than tweezing/waxing? what is the benefit?

treehugger.gif *CPST*  mama to my three year old DS1 broc1.gif1.31.09 and wedded to angel 8.07  hola.gif

DS 2  waterbirth.jpg 8/18/12!!

#13 of 55 Old 01-05-2011, 09:46 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

I get mine waxed a couple of times per year to shape them, and tweeze the rest of the time. I'm embarrassed to say that I pay $40 for waxing (and that's just the eyebrows). redface.gif Only because I usually get a gift certificate to the fancy day spa for Christmas and my birthday, so I plan a day there to get a waxing and massage -- I actually have plans to do that this weekend! 

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
#14 of 55 Old 01-05-2011, 09:48 AM

woah! $40 just for eyebrows! are they using liquid gold instead of wax? biglaugh.gif

We have a beauty college nearby. I went in an got 4 waxes done before I went on vacation (eyebrow, upper lip, underarm, half leg) and the total bill was $32 before the tip!

treehugger.gif *CPST*  mama to my three year old DS1 broc1.gif1.31.09 and wedded to angel 8.07  hola.gif

DS 2  waterbirth.jpg 8/18/12!!

#15 of 55 Old 01-05-2011, 09:54 AM

I get mine waxed about once a month and maintain at home with tweezers between appointments. Thank goodness for waxingjoy.gif

I pay $19 before tipping. Totally worth it IMO.

Wife to DH(15 years)and Mama to: Jacob(5/02)kid.gifribbonpurple.gif, and Alina(7/07)energy.gifI luxlove.gifbellyhair.gif
#16 of 55 Old 01-05-2011, 10:20 PM
Dar

I wax my own at home -  I have since my teen years. Sometimes I tweeze a few strays... you can buy the wax anywhere (Target, Amazon, etc) for $5 or so, and you just heat it up in the microwave.

fambedsingle1.gifSingle mom to Rain (1/93) , grad student, and world traveler earth.gif

#17 of 55 Old 01-05-2011, 10:29 PM

Tweezers, once or twice a week.  thumb.gif  I'm cheap (aka- too poor to pay someone to pull my hairs out. orngtongue.gif)  

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
#18 of 55 Old 01-06-2011, 01:19 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)

I pluck my own once every few weeks I guess. I don't trust anyone else to touch my eyebrows.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#19 of 55 Old 01-06-2011, 03:55 AM

why is hair removal 'frowned upon' here? thats not something I ever encountered or even understand why, lol

i used to over tweeze. then i let them grow out and got them waxed mainly so i could get a precise arch done by a professional...i paid around 20, and laid on a table with my newborn 3 week old on my breast while she did them...

now i just maintain with tweezers-my baby is now 3 and half-so i obviously dont spend a lot of money on hair removal (Though i do often daydream about having the money for laser removal)

Heavily tattooed and Dready Mama to my girls. YES we are STILL NURSING! love to and
#20 of 55 Old 01-06-2011, 07:30 AM

I have gotten them done before but it wasn't really noticeable and no one could tell.  Can't remember how much it cost.  I don't have to worry about it at all for the most part.  Even my leg hairs are light and I tend to not be that hairy. 

happy family!joy.gif we winner.jpgfemalesling.GIFnocirc.gif

#21 of 55 Old 01-06-2011, 08:39 AM

I wax every once in a while, like after christmas and my birthday, which is when I have money. I tried just not doing anything for a while, but I have some seriously bushy brows. It overwhelmed me and my face. I try to tweeze in between, but not too often or I get tweezer happy and lose my brows. I actually have a gift certifcate I got for christmas, so I am going to start growing them out to get them waxed. I dont do a serious wax job, they dont look super thin. Actually, they probably look more like I do nothing, because my brows are really that bushy. You can take some off and they just look normal.
#22 of 55 Old 01-06-2011, 07:01 PM

I get them threaded. Waxing never worked very well and I had my skin rip a few times when the wax was pulled off. I get my eyebrows threaded every two to three weeks. It is $10-$12 depending on where I go. I will pluck a few strays as needed. My hair is white-blonde so plucking as always been very difficult as the hairs are hard to see. I may have to try the thread it yourself technique from the video - that would be so much easier. Threading works because you don't need to see the individual hairs. I do like that it only takes a few minutes and the local places are all walk-in.

#23 of 55 Old 01-06-2011, 07:09 PM

I wax my own.  Before I was licensed and working in a spa, I got them waxed and usually paid around $8 for it.  I tweeze the strays in between waxings, and I probably wax every 3-4 weeks.

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#24 of 55 Old 01-07-2011, 09:19 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I tweeze them at home.  Hot compresses first, the rinse with cool water & pat on witchhazel after.  I do them myself because I'm cheap, too lazy to go out, and I'm more just taming them rather than shaping.  It's awkward because without my glasses on, I can't see myself in the mirror when I'm more than 4" away from it, though.  :P

Mom to DS(14), DS(12), DD(9), DS(6), DS (4), and DS(2)  

***4***8****13***17***21****26***heartbeat.gif****35****40

#25 of 55 Old 01-07-2011, 09:45 AM

Ok that video link is awesome - I may have to switch to threading vs. my normal tweezing!  Until 6 weeks ago I'd not done much with my brows, but decided on a whim to get them waxed when I went to a new salon - $11 and I figured I'd just maintain at home. :)

Erin
Every hour of the light and dark is a miracle. Every cubic inch of space is a miracle. (Whitman)

Not a Mama Yet! If you're a NMY, too, come join our current thread in the Tribal area!

#26 of 55 Old 01-07-2011, 09:57 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by annekevdbroek View Post

My hair is white-blonde so plucking as always been very difficult as the hairs are hard to see.

This might be a dumb question, but why do you need to pluck hairs if you can't see them? redface.gif

ETA: I guess if there are lots of them they could create a shadow or something...?

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
#27 of 55 Old 01-07-2011, 12:40 PM

I get an eyebrow and upper-lip wax every 4 weeks or so. $25, including tip. I go to a higher-end day spa. I used to be a massage therapist there, and I'm familiar with (and comfortable with) their sanitary practices. That's why I'll pay the higher price.

#28 of 55 Old 01-07-2011, 04:47 PM

I get my eyebrows, upper lip, and chin threaded. I (should) go about every 3-4 weeks. I pay $23 plus a 2 or 3 dollar tip.Sometimes I wait too long and I start to look like a dude with a mustache and goatee...lol. I wish I wasn't so damn hairy as I hate paying that much. I can't wax. I had my face waxed in the past and had a horrible allergic reaction (swollen face, bumps, redness). It was really bad. I would love to get laser hair removal when I have the $ to do so. Does anyone know if it actually works?

#29 of 55 Old 01-07-2011, 06:06 PM

I pay $5 to get mine threaded.  I used to just pluck, but I hated doing it, and this has a much better result.

#30 of 55 Old 01-07-2011, 11:09 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

I get them waxed every 4-6 weeks when I get my hair cut/colored.  My hair stylist does them.  I think it's $10.  (It's added into the cost of my hair cut/color, so I'm not exactly sure.)  In between waxing, I pluck the strays.

Tags
Natural Body Care

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page