Reusable Pad Soaking? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 01-06-2011, 11:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

What do you soak your reusable pads in?  I've been using just plain water but would like to add something to the water to inhibit bacteria growth.

Wife to Rich~ 8/16/03 Mom to Nathan~ 9/30/07

#2 of 11 Old 01-06-2011, 06:28 PM

I hand washed them and soaked them in baking soda and water.

I haven't needed to use them in a couple years, but did it that way for a years without any problems.

:
#3 of 11 Old 01-07-2011, 11:16 PM
Banned

I don't soak them.  I just fold them up and they dry like that.  I rinse them before throwing them in laundry.  I'm doing cloth diapers, so I just put them in with the diapers.  But I do laundry very frequently with two kids in diapers - so I don't have smell issues.

If you do soak in water, I'd be leery of using something to kill bacteria because a lot of those things are pretty toxic (bleach, for example).  You could try vinegar or put some tea tree oil in there.  But those things would be so diluted I don't know that their antibacterial properties would have any effect.  

#4 of 11 Old 01-10-2011, 08:06 AM

I don't soak mine.  I also wash with regular laundry.  Since I have to do a couple of loads every day, they get washed within a day of my using them.  I do not like the smell from soaking and I don't think they get any cleaner sitting in a solution for a couple of days.

Mrs. S - Crunchy child of The King, Wife to my best friend, and Mama to my many blessings.

#5 of 11 Old 01-10-2011, 08:12 AM

I don't soak mine. I rinse it out in the sink a bit and throw it in the bucket. I tend to do the wash daily on the first three days of my cycle so I don't worry about it.

Homeschooling mama to 6 year old DD.

#6 of 11 Old 01-10-2011, 08:28 AM

I give mine a spray of hydrogen peroxide and throw them in the washing machine to wait for the next load.  They can be washed at any temp that way, so I wash them with whatever load I put in next (diapers, sturdy cotton, or delicates).

Mother of 6-year-old artist, rock-finder, strawberry-eater and 3 year-old dancer, cuddler and knee-skinner--and now awaiting number three to be born at home like their siblings, bf and held at every moment.
#7 of 11 Old 01-10-2011, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laohaire View Post

I don't soak mine. I rinse it out in the sink a bit and throw it in the bucket. I tend to do the wash daily on the first three days of my cycle so I don't worry about it.

:yeah: if you do laundry fairly often, even every other day, there should be no smell issues.

#8 of 11 Old 01-12-2011, 07:41 AM

I stopped soaking mine after I forgot them one time and almost ruined them- the smell was horrible.  :(  I just fold them dirty side in and snap shut and throw them in a dry bucket.  After my period, I soak them all over night in the washer with hot water, a little oxy-clean, and a little detergent.  In the morning I run them through a normal cycle, and during the rinse, throw a little vinegar in to soften.  If any of them have stains that didn't come out during the wash, I use a little Ecover (miracle product) on the spots and rewash those with other laundry.  I have absolutely NO stains on my pads following this method.  Even if I forget them for weeks.

#9 of 11 Old 01-12-2011, 10:15 AM

I don't soak, like a pp, it was disgusting.  If they are super bloody (I only use as tampon backup or for my super light mirena periods) I will rinse them in the sink and throw them right into the washer to go with the next load.

#10 of 11 Old 01-12-2011, 10:16 PM

I don't know if it inhibits bacteria growth that much, but putting a splash of hydrogen peroxide in the soak water makes them easier to get clean, in my experience.

#11 of 11 Old 01-14-2011, 01:16 AM

Not doing that anymore, but when I used cloth pads, I would soak them, but change the water often. I made my own out of white cloth that had been given to me and didn't want any more stains than I had to have. Cold water gets protein/blood out better than hot, I was told, so I'm surprised to read that some of you wash in hot water without soaking them in cold first.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page