Hairy Mamas 2011 ~ Support, Advice, and friends of non-hair removing folks ~ All welcome! - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 59 Old 05-25-2011, 07:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I haven't shaved since 2003 but I haven't had any hair since 2003. I have alopecia. When I was 21 all my hair fell out. I'm totally bald. I have no eyebrows and no lashes. Down there I look like an eight year old girl. If my hair ever grows back I am never going to shave any of it off. I would just be too grateful to have it back. Be proud of what you got because you never know when you might just lose it all.

living with alopecia universalis (google it), learning alongside my children DD 2003blahblah.gif DS 2007fencing.gifDD 2011jog.gif

#32 of 59 Old 05-25-2011, 08:26 PM - Thread Starter

Ruthla!

huge hugs to you, and lovely to see you around! what have you been up to? and send a huge hello to that anoying reader of yours ;)

By reading this signature, you agree to join my cult :nana
Google me, you know you want to mischievous.gif
#33 of 59 Old 11-04-2011, 12:01 PM

Hello ladies. I am so glad this thread exists! I've tested the hairy waters a couple of times but have never really committed. I always do it out of rebellion and then after a while I shave again just because I like to. I'm really on the fence about the whole thing. I'd like to grow my hair out as a form of protest against ridiculous beauty standards, but then I miss the ritual of shaving and I always go back. I guess I am really searching for reasons to quit even though I like to do it.

I don't think I'll ever stop shaving my underarms, because I don't like to use deodorant and my pits smell better when they're shaved, but I have doubts as to whether it is healthy to shave your arm pits because you dump so many toxins through those pores. Does anyone know of any evidence that shaving your underarms is not good?

My husband never notices when I go on my shaving strikes. I have to point it out to him. My hair is very fine so I only have to shave my shins once a week. I've never shaved my thighs, there's just no hair there. So it's not exactly time consuming or expensive, one razor lasts me months and months.  I like to trim my "lady-hair" just because it tends to get matted blush.gif, so that to me is a hygiene issue.

Nik! Mama to Evelynn Rose 08/19/08 and Autumn Lily 11/02/10
#34 of 59 Old 11-22-2011, 08:53 PM

I've been gone a long time and just read this. My condolences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthla View Post

What's new with me? My father passed away on Wednesday morning. Things have been pretty stressful the past few weeks because he was ill.

Still not brave enough to never shave. I only shave when the mood hits me, every few months or so. (In the sumSUBMITmer, more often because of wearing shorts. What a wimp.)

#35 of 59 Old 11-22-2011, 08:56 PM

LOL. I started to click the "submit" button, but decided to put my first sentence at the top. Usually, I can just slide off the button and it won't execute. The "submit" button went into my post at the place I let loose of my "click" when I posted above. How funny. (I wonder if it will show up for anyone but me.)

#36 of 59 Old 12-02-2011, 09:24 PM

I saw your magic submit button!

I'm really surprised that my post was ignored. I guess I'm just not hairy enough to be part of this thread!   greensad.gif  irked.gifbow.gif  truedat.gif  peace.gif

A_Random_Phrase likes this.

living with alopecia universalis (google it), learning alongside my children DD 2003blahblah.gif DS 2007fencing.gifDD 2011jog.gif

#37 of 59 Old 12-07-2011, 01:52 PM

Mine didn't get replies either. I think this part of the board doesn't get a lot of traffic.

You are clearly hairy in spirit! I'm sure no one meant offense. :hug:

Quote:
Originally Posted by trekkingirl View Post

I'm really surprised that my post was ignored. I guess I'm just not hairy enough to be part of this thread!   greensad.gif  irked.gifbow.gif  truedat.gif  peace.gif

Nik! Mama to Evelynn Rose 08/19/08 and Autumn Lily 11/02/10
#38 of 59 Old 12-07-2011, 03:00 PM

guess not since that was back in May! I miss the old days when MDC was a much busier place

#39 of 59 Old 12-10-2011, 09:10 PM

Condolences to Ruthla. Welcome to holo and beautiful storch wrap. And trekkin although you are not hairy you are welcome in the non-shaving, non-waxing tribe:) and you're right mdc seems a lot slower than it was a couple of years ago (this is my second user name)

be good family...

#40 of 59 Old 01-02-2012, 02:15 PM

Hello all you beautiful hairy mamas! And a big hug and thank you to Majik for starting this post! ( LOVE your blog BTW Majik- i think i am addicted! )

At the moment, I am not very hairy anywhere- but not for long. I dearly miss my beautiful, hairy pits and Im growing them as we speak :). And i have to admit...im excited. biggrinbounce.gif

Also, a few months ago, I cut off my 19 1/2 inch long black hair and donated it to Locks of Love. Im not rockin an A-line bob. Which is cool. But- im growing all of that back as well..I WANT DREADS! And i shall have them in..about..oh..4 years? hopmad.gif

Anywho,  I just wanted to stop by and say hello to all and Happy New Year..may it be hairy!  love.gif

novaxnocirc.gif   lactivist.gif   gd.gif  uc.jpg  femalesling.GIF cd.gif    modifiedartist.gif    read.gif    

Magickal Mama to DD (6) & DS (3). Soul mate to DH. 

#41 of 59 Old 01-13-2012, 11:51 AM

Hey guys!  I've been hairy for about 6 months now.  After DS2 was born I just never got around to shaving and so I just left it alone.  I was looking for an excuse to give it up, but had been hanging on to it because DH liked it smooth (he makes lots of little sacrifices for me like that, so shaving once a week or so always seemed like a small thing to do for him) Anyway, turns out that he doesn't mind the hair and even kind of likes it, not that there's much.  NONE on my thighs and very little on my calves, and even though it's been months since I shaved my armpits, they still kind of look like stubble.  I guess I'm just not that hairy.  I was kind of hoping for more, lol!

#42 of 59 Old 01-14-2012, 02:06 PM

Yay for being happy and hairy! joy.gif  Wow- you are a naturally 'unhairy' person, lol. I let EVERYTHING grow once DS was born for quite a few months and I too, never had much leg hair at all. Even after months of growth( Maybe its because im Native American? ). Now, i shave everything except my pits. I wish I could let everything grow back as it was in its natural glory, but I feel much more comfortable and 'clean' when I shave elsewhere. It has been about 2 weeks ( i think ) since I stopped shaving my pits again, and I have 2 pretty good little patches going on, Lol. I love my hairy pits. I actually feel sexier with hair there and DH loves it. heartbeat.gif /*OO*\ heartbeat.gif

novaxnocirc.gif   lactivist.gif   gd.gif  uc.jpg  femalesling.GIF cd.gif    modifiedartist.gif    read.gif    

#43 of 59 Old 01-14-2012, 02:08 PM

I have a bit of Native American heritage, too and my family has always attributed their unhairiness to it, lol.  My dad never could grow a beard.

#44 of 59 Old 02-07-2012, 02:06 PM

I am so glad to find this thread. I stopped shaving for awhile a few years ago because I kept having MRSA outbreaks in my armpits and my doctor thought it might be related to shaving. When I discovered what it really WAS connected to I started shaving again, not sure why now that I think of it.

I haven't shaved in a few months and I'm on the fence about it. I actually like it and I hate shaving so it's definitely a convenience to me to not have to mess with it at all. I do wonder though what kind of reaction I might get once people figure it out, especially at work. I do dress modestly and wear pants or long skirts all the time, but I also live in the desert so come summertime I will be wearing t shirts and not wearing leggings underneath my skirts. It will be obvious as I AM a hairy mama. I'm kind of in a place where I am having an internal struggle about it. On one hand "what will people think?" and on the other hand "who cares? It's not their business anyway!"  Any of you here ever felt that way about not shaving?

M : proud mama to B (16) : and G (8) and : x 2 :
#45 of 59 Old 02-08-2012, 05:11 PM

I just read your post and wanted to say ME TOO with the MRSA. I had my first outbreak when I was 7 1/2 months pregnant with my son. I had NEVER had anything like that in my life and didnt know what MRSA was at the time or how dangerous it was. We belive that my BIL, who was living with us at the time brought it into our home. He is a pro wrestler and trains alot at public gyms. He was the first one to have a huge MRSA boil on his left side. We thought it was a spider bite. I, not knowing how contagoius this stuff was, helped him doctor his wound after it had opened and i think i contracted it then.

I didnt go to the doctor to find out what was wrong with my armpits until 2 weeks after my sons birth, when the boils became so very large and severe I couldnt even put down my arms. None of them came to a head on their own and it felt like I had golf ball sized rocks under my skin. After i found out just what I had, I was placed in the hospital over night for IV antibiotics and sent home the following night with a very strong antibiotic perscription and topical antibiotic cream. I cleaned my house like a mad woman. My newborn son and 3 year old daughter stayed with their GPs. I clean for almost 3 days straight! I never use bleach in my house, but when I discoverd the severity of this illness, I went out an got some to clean with. I trashed EVERYTHING: shower poofs, deoterant, razors- anything that i though may have come into contact with my infection. I had to go back a few weeks later to have 5 of them lanced, drained and packed. I had a total of 12 huge boils: 6 under one pit and 6 under the other. It was horrible. I felt like I had the plauge and was deathly afriad of giving it to my kids- especially my breastfeeding newborn.

After that, I stopped shaving for a LONG time. Almost a year. I tried to keep my house as clean and sanitized as possible, but BIL made that very hard- which was a MAJOR issue with us because he wouldnt take all of his antibiotics and would stay infested with his MRSA outbreaks for very long periods of time, and just not care about the childrens health or ours. His breakouts we're never anywhere near as bad as mine. His all stayed penny size and under. One day, for some reason, I decided to shave my pits. A few days later, I was already breaking out. This was a brand new razor, never before used. After I used it, i through it away so that I could use a new one each time. I also wiped my pits down with rubbing alcohol and washed my entire body in the shower with antibacterial soap each night, even before I had started shaving again.

Luckily, when I started breaking out again, I knew what it was and went to the doctor ASAP and was givin more antibiotics. The boils went away in just a few days since I caught them so early.  This pattern continued for awhile.  Then I had another very bad MRSA scare. BIL, DH and myself all went to a concert a few months later and I hurt my ankle badly.  When we returned to the hotel room, i decided to take a bath to ease the pain. BAD idea. A few days after we returned home a HUGE (way bigger than any other boils I had gotten ) started forming on my right butt cheek. Didnt think it was MRSA because it wasnt on my pits. A few nights later, i woke up with severe chills and dizzyness and discovered a baseball sized lump on my butt. My skin was black and blue because tI had grown in size so fast.  I laid back down and went back to sleep and waited for DH to get home from work with the car so we could go to the ER.

Apparently, when he got home, as he tried to wake me up he felt a huge amount of heat coming off of my body. He said he tried to talk to me and to get me to drink some water, but i was just out of it. I was talking but not making any sense.  He and BIL put me in the car and went the the ER. I was hospitalized for 3 weeks this time.  I had to have local antibiotic shots in that butt cheek for the next 2 months. I was told that I had went into septic shock and had alomost died. My heart rate was very fast- which posed another threat for me because I have MVP.  I had it drained while I was there, of couse, and when I was actually able to see it- I had a HUGE hole in that check. I mean huge. It was packed with gauze and looked horrible. It healed quickly, but I still have a crater sized scar there. Shortly afrter this, we kicked BIL out. He wouldnt take care of himself and kept reinfecting me. I found out while I was in the hospital that I was hypoglycemic and this is why my MRSA returned over and over and was so severe. I havent had any more outbreaks since BIL has moved out.

Anyways, SUPER long story- but now I do not shave. This isnt the main reason for my not shaving my pits anymore-but is up there on the list.

And YES I have felt that way before. But Ive gotten to a point that I honestly, just dont give a crap. I like my hairy pits, because they represent alot to me. Not to mention DH has made me feel even better about it because he thinks theyre sexy ( now THATS love, lol. ) Im a person that has always been a little too concerned with what others think of me. In a way, not shaving has really helped tone that down alot. Now, im loud and proud,lol. I dont care where we are, or who can see- I lift up my arms and let it show.

Im sure, with time- you will be like that too. Even if your body hair doesnt really represent anything for you. Its your choice. Youre beautiful how you are, in your natural state. People will either respect that, or mock that-but what would it change? YOU know whats best for you and you have no need to justify how you choose to govern your body to anyone. Its your buisness.

Big higs Mama! Hope I helped and sorry this is soo long!

AntauLJn likes this.

#46 of 59 Old 02-08-2012, 08:11 PM

Wow Huntress Mother, that is super scary. MRSA is awful. I am glad you that are better though. Thanks for the moral support by the way. It does to help that other people have kind of gone through this transition and people in their lives didn't freak out about it.

M : proud mama to B (16) : and G (8) and : x 2 :
#47 of 59 Old 07-03-2012, 05:10 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

Hi, haven't been on here forever and not seeing a 2012 thread but just saw this and thought maybe some of you would be interested in it... http://www.kveller.com/mayim-bialik/ive-never-shaved-my-legs-so-what/

#48 of 59 Old 07-05-2012, 07:23 PM

thanks for sharing!

#49 of 59 Old 10-12-2012, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trekkingirl View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by holothuroidea View Post

Mine didn't get replies either. I think this part of the board doesn't get a lot of traffic.

You are clearly hairy in spirit! I'm sure no one meant offense. :hug:

I notice you guys. I haven't gotten on much because mothering decided it didn't like my username/password combination. Tonight, it finally decided to relent and let me in - but old posts are hidden pretty far down the list, so I have to search for ones I haven't seen, that have been updated.

Trekkingirl, I'm glad I'm not the only one who saw that submit button. Crazy, isn't it?

#50 of 59 Old 10-13-2012, 03:25 PM

Still just hairy in spirit! I must have been crabby that day. I have chronic pain issues that tend to make me irritable at times. Sorry.

#51 of 59 Old 12-26-2012, 06:59 AM

It's easier for me to be hairy in the relatively cold months of winter.

#52 of 59 Old 02-13-2013, 09:45 PM

As a "treat" for dh I decided to try a hair remover cream for Valentine's Day and be all silky smooth.  I haven't shaved (or done any hair removal) in nearly two years.  I had forgotten how my underarms feel when they are bare.  I hate it!  They kind of chafe.  I guess it's since I don't use traditional chemically deodorant and usually use a salt stick or a baking soda mixture instead.  Oh my goodness, I don't think I will ever do this again.  I had become a bit self conscious about my hair, since it is patchy and has never come in looking like I imagined it would so I was eager to try out being hairless again.  Lesson learned.  God must have given us hair for a reason and I intend to leave it alone from here on out.  Anyone else have any similar experiences?

#53 of 59 Old 02-14-2013, 03:27 PM

I've never gone that long without hair removal. Too trained by society, I think.

#54 of 59 Old 02-14-2013, 03:34 PM

I don't mind shaving, it's the growing back in that bugs me! I like my soft, hairy legs much more than prickly legs! I usually only shave in the summer months, because of "society", I hope this year to be confident enough not to shave. I have reached the point where I feel more like *me* with hair. More womanly even!
#55 of 59 Old 02-14-2013, 06:33 PM

Good for you, owlhowl!  I had gotten to that point for a while, too.  I'm not sure what happened, though.  I just started feeling self conscience about it all of a sudden.  But for a long time I would feel really empowered by being hairy.  I loved embracing it.  We went to the beach a couple of times last summer and I loved being hairy while I was there.  On the other hand, we live around a lot of my family who are all very conservative on such issues and just wouldn't "get it",  so while I haven't necessarily tried to hide that I'm hairy from them I haven't really been too bold with it either.  We have a family pool here and I hated ending up at the pool at the same time as a certain aunt... for one thing she has never really taken to kids at all and mine are rather rowdy, but I dreaded having to have any kind of body hair conversation with her - or worse not to have the conversation and know she was discussing it with other family members behind my back.  I'm fairly certain that has happened anyway, they are just that kind of people.  A few have been brave enough to ask me about my dreadlocks (which they've all agreed they don't like) but no one has mentioned the body hair.  I'm sure they've noticed it though.  We live in Louisiana and I wear a lot of skirts and tank tops.  It's unavoidable.  Sometimes I feel really ridiculous that I can feel so empowered and amazing and beautiful around anyone but my family.  Eh, it's a pretty toxic environment though.  Hopefully we'll be able to move before too long. 

#56 of 59 Old 02-15-2013, 04:25 AM

Family is fun, eh? I can't count how conversations with my mom have started like "I don't mind that you *insert something nonconventional* but could you please start shaving?" Now I respond with a request that my mother stop tanning or dying her hair every 6 weeks orngtongue.gif
It's definitely weird that being hairy, which is prefectly normal, can make people so uncomfortable!
#57 of 59 Old 02-15-2013, 11:19 PM

or being unhairy...........you wouldn't believe how many hair conversations are out there. I still can't face society without my wig on. 

#58 of 59 Old 02-16-2013, 07:30 AM

I bet you are beautiful without your wig smile.gif People can be so mean.
One of my childhood best friends has alopecia, kids would take off her hats and laugh at her. Terrible! Now she has a collection of beautiful wigs, she doesn't go out without them either. Bald is beautiful!! We are all beautiful!! I wish everyone could just be respectful.
<3
#59 of 59 Old 02-17-2013, 12:53 AM

I agree! People are beautiful as they are - hair or no hair. We should not feel pressured or shamed into either shaving or wearing wigs.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page