Hairy Mamas 2011 ~ Support, Advice, and friends of non-hair removing folks ~ All welcome! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 59 Old 01-08-2011, 08:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Welcome to all the Hairy people! It's a new Sun-cycle, hope everyone's had a great non-specific festive season.

Jump on in and say hi, check in if you're coming over from last years thread, which you can read back on HERE, or post an intro if you're new to the tribe :)

Don't be shy, we're a friendly bunch!

The thread is welcome to all, hairy mamas, don't worry if you're not fully hairy, some of us have hairy legs but shave pits, or vice versa, or something else, some of us engage in total non-hair removal, some of us are just exploring the concept, some of us are just supportive of hairy folk and want to stop in for a nice chat and a piece of cake.

To start off:, I'm majikfaerie, mama to one 7yo unschooled girlchild, I stopped removing body hair in any way back in about 1996 or 1997 (I think I waxed my legs once or twice in 97), I love my body as it is, just the way god made it, without any alterations :)

By reading this signature, you agree to join my cult :nana
Google me, you know you want to mischievous.gif
#2 of 59 Old 01-08-2011, 08:44 PM

Thanks for starting the new thread, majikfaerie.

I'm a mother of three teenagers and, for years rarely shaved legs or pits, only succumbing in the summer months because of perceived peer pressure. Even when I shaved, I didn't go above the knees. I'm all for freedom to be who we are!

#3 of 59 Old 01-08-2011, 09:01 PM - Thread Starter

Amen to the freedom to be who we are!

(and compliments go where they are due ;) )

A_Random_Phrase likes this.

#4 of 59 Old 01-08-2011, 09:32 PM

/*OO*\

Katreena, peace.gif 39 year old Alaskan treehugger.gif Mama to 1 hearts.gif and 1 lady.gif gd.gif

#5 of 59 Old 01-08-2011, 09:43 PM - Thread Starter

PUUUUUUUUUUUUUURITY! :love

how you holding up, mama?

#6 of 59 Old 01-09-2011, 03:34 PM

Stress + asthma = lots of coughing + over usage of inhaler.

Katreena, peace.gif 39 year old Alaskan treehugger.gif Mama to 1 hearts.gif and 1 lady.gif gd.gif

#7 of 59 Old 01-10-2011, 01:50 AM - Thread Starter

hugs purity.

#8 of 59 Old 01-13-2011, 11:02 AM

*~Happy New Year Hairy Mamas~*  orngbiggrin.gif

Just checkin' in! I shave my legs from the knee down but that's it. I keep everything else trim but natural. And I love it!

Peace~

S~ Peace loving, natural living, FuNkY vegan mama to Keiran bouncy.gif 23/Dec/06:
"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter" ~~ MLK
#9 of 59 Old 01-13-2011, 01:44 PM

I see a lot of mama's posting about removing all or most of 'hair down there' and I never understood why. I do trim frequently but find that we're meant to have hair there for a reason, and I still feel womanly with it.

although I do shave arm pits/legs

"If you truly love nature, you will find beauty everywhere." -Vincent Van Gogh
#10 of 59 Old 01-13-2011, 10:59 PM

I never even knew there were women who shaved - ahem - there, until I read it on mothering in the last few months.

#11 of 59 Old 01-16-2011, 03:32 PM

I saw this thread and had to stop in to share this song. Ever since I discovered it last week I've been trying to find someone who will appreciate it as much as I do. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6D4FwgGwRE

Ever since I got pregnant I haven't seen the point of shaving my legs. Now that I see the world from a different perspective than I did pre-motherhood, all the time that women waste removing their hair just seems pointless and daunting. I do shave my pits, though, just because I prefer the way they feel. I experimented with shaving "down there" once in my teenage years and it was an absolutely AWFUL experience.

rubidoux and A_Random_Phrase like this.

Single Mama to Vincent 3/30/09
#12 of 59 Old 01-17-2011, 03:41 PM - Thread Starter

hey all, I'm checking in again. haven't been online much lately *personal reasons*

#13 of 59 Old 01-22-2011, 09:25 AM

I'm here.  Haven't been posting too much recently, but wanted to cast my vote for hairy-ness.  joy.gif  Shaving?  Blech.

Come visit us on Tangled Hill! One small family in a big, big world.
Peace through homemaking.
#14 of 59 Old 01-28-2011, 12:34 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I haven't shaved my legs or pits in about 6 or 7 years, although I do remove facial hair, tweeze my toes, and remove a few specific arm hairs that just bug me. I'm the mom to 2 teenaged girls (one who's never removed body hair and one who shaves her lower legs and/or pits whenever the mood strikes her.) Also a 9yo boy who's never removed body hair, but that hardly counts, does it? ;) All are in school this year, although I've homeschooled all of them at different times.

I've been single since DS was about 2 (and I'd recently split up with his bio dad.) If there's ever another man in my life, he's going to accept me the way that I am, hair and all, or he's not the right guy for me.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#15 of 59 Old 01-30-2011, 08:25 PM

I'm feeling like some of my hair is long enough to braid, but I'm going to stay natural. I like being natural.

#16 of 59 Old 02-04-2011, 01:06 PM

I dont shave as often as I used to. I do shave when I feel as if " I " Want to not society or anyone telling me to but that is very rare and usually about 4 to five months  if that. I do feel like I need ot shave or trim my bikini region only because I feel embarassed if I feel there is hair sticking out. My husband doesnt care what I do with my body hair. I probably will be shaving everything for a photo shoot I am thinking of doing for my hubby for our anniversary but that is my decision not his. What I like about this group is that we are making the decisions based on what we feel is right not what someone else feels is right.

Majikfaerie- I have missed talking to you like we used to .

vegan, *( . ) ( . )* wife to D and momma to peanut and monkey boy
#17 of 59 Old 02-04-2011, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clothdipemomof2boy View Post

I dont shave as often as I used to. I do shave when I feel as if " I " Want to not society or anyone telling me to but that is very rare and usually about 4 to five months  if that. I do feel like I need ot shave or trim my bikini region only because I feel embarassed if I feel there is hair sticking out. My husband doesnt care what I do with my body hair. I probably will be shaving everything for a photo shoot I am thinking of doing for my hubby for our anniversary but that is my decision not his. What I like about this group is that we are making the decisions based on what we feel is right not what someone else feels is right.

The bolded part above is exactly why I joined this thread. I want to do what I feel is right and I've spent too many years shaving because I was trained by society that I was gross if I didn't. Now, come summer, I'm not sure what to do. I don't know if I can handle the pressure (real or imagined) of people's rejection/rudeness if I wear shorts. In the past, I would shave every few weeks in the summer or when I felt too socially uncomfortable or I would wear light-weight long pants. I'm in an area, now, where it would be too hot to wear long pants all summer. I was thinking about getting some long light-weight skirts or something.

#18 of 59 Old 02-07-2011, 12:21 PM

I don't feel uncomfortable not shaving my legs in the summer (regardless of what I wear), but I've always had trouble with shaving my armpits in short/no sleeve shirts.  I'm super pale with almost black hair; I just find the contrast exceptionally jarring to my eyes, kwim?  I don't care/notice how it feels, other than the fact that I always get an ingrown hair (just one!) in each armpit when I shave, right along a fold.

I want to stop caring!  No one really seems to notice my leg hair except me, and though I "mow the lawn" a bit, I don't really care if anyone sees hair in my "bikini area" when I'm in a bathing suit (and if they do, why are they staring so closely at my crotch anyway?!).  However, I can't seem to get over the armpit thing.

Any help?  Ideas, tips, tricks, hypnosis?  ;)  I really want to stop shaving under my arms totally, but I just can't get over how jarring &, well, obvious it appears to me.  I don't think I'd care nearly as much if it were blonde;  I've thought about dyeing it, but that would just seem even more strange, wouldn't it?  *LOL*

*sigh*

#19 of 59 Old 02-09-2011, 06:22 AM

I don't wear sleeveless or cap sleeve shirts for religious modesty, so the only people who've ever seen my hairy armpits are my kids- and maybe some  female teenaged friends who've slept over and seen me in my nightgown.

Even before I became religious I never liked sleeveless shirts. If it was hot enough to go sleeveless, I wanted my shoulders fully covered to prevent sunburn! I mostly wore short-sleeved shirts in the summer (although I did wear standard bathing suits in those days, and the occasional sleeveless dress for fancy occasions.)

#20 of 59 Old 02-12-2011, 09:48 AM

Brendalee, perhaps try trimming your armpit hair short, without fully shaving it? I prefer to keep some hair on my armpits, but I don't yet have the confidence to show it in public. So I trimmed it close, without shaving it, and it's less noticeable. If somebody looks very closely, they'll see it. But it wouldn't be the first thing they notice when they look at me. That gives me the confidence to just relax and be myself.

Also: Hello to the thread! *waves* I am new to the idea of non-hair removal. I used to shave my armpits any time I wore a dress or short sleeves but, as I said, I'm starting to trim instead. I also used to periodically wax my legs, but cost is a bit of an issue there, so I don't do that anymore. I tried shaving my legs, but that simply does not work. All I get are ingrown hairs and bumps on my legs. So, a mixture of ideology and practicality has me not shaving at all anymore. I have to admit, I find it quite freeing. :)

#21 of 59 Old 02-13-2011, 01:45 PM

i always forget to pop over and see what the hairy mamas are up to!  I'm still here and still hairy in 2011.  I don't remove any hair at all- well, I have the hair on my head trimmed a couple of times a year if that counts.  I'm not an especially hairy person, so I doubt most people notice my pits or my legs.  

Claire, mommy to Robbie (8/23/08) and Brena (4-22-11) and wifey to Joe

#22 of 59 Old 02-15-2011, 01:12 PM

Hi All!  wave.gif

Hairy mama here to 18 mo DS.  I trim my nether regions occasionally only because it gets a bit yucky during AF if things are allowed to be wild.  I wax my legs and pits once a year for family beach week because I'm not strong enough to withstand the stares, whispers and comments from family and strangers.  I know that I should stand proud for hairy mamas out there but I just can't.  Sigh.  This year we're doing a beach week with the in-laws in the beginning of June so maybe this tribe will get me to a place by June that I can do it.  And I wax my toes regularly because hairy toes gross me out for some reason.  shrug.gif

Maria blahblah.gif, wife to A malesling.GIF, mama to DS M 8/09 2whistle.gif and DS L 6/12 biggrinbounce.gif

Everything will be ok in the end.  If it's not ok, then it's not the end - Paolo Coelho  

#23 of 59 Old 03-24-2011, 08:45 PM

Another Hairy Mama here!  My name is Turtle Mama and I'm the mama to two beautiful little boys. I've been hairy on and off for the last couple of years...currently I'm keeping my under arms nice and hairy ( orngtongue.gif ). I shave my legs, but only every couple of months or so. Sometimes, like earlier, I had the urge to shave my under arms, but just couldn't bring myself to do it. I just feel like, my hair is obviously there for a reason....why remove it? orngbiggrin.gif

winner.jpgbftoddler.gif2ndtri.gif Catholic Mama to Liam, Rowan and one on the way! Wife to an amazing man. familybed1.gif blogging.jpg

#24 of 59 Old 03-25-2011, 01:52 PM

What's new with me? My father passed away on Wednesday morning. Things have been pretty stressful the past few weeks because he was ill.

#25 of 59 Old 05-24-2011, 07:09 AM

Hello all Hairy Mamas!

I havent been here in a looong time, but have posted in the past. I need some advice!

I am a girl scout leader for 7 year old Brownies. We will be doing our first summer overnighter. I want to have something 'good' to say about my hair if anyone asks since they will see my legs and armpits. So far, I don't think any of them have seen my hair or noticed, but at their age I think they will. My own daughter (in the GS group) has never mentioned it yet either. 

Obviously all of their moms do shave so I dont want to be offensive. 

Any ideas of how to approach the subject with love and kindness?

TIA!!

#26 of 59 Old 05-24-2011, 12:53 PM

I wouldn't bring it up unless one of the girls notices and asks about it. Then I'd suggest being matter-of-fact about it. "I have hair on my legs because it grows there on grown-up women. Some women shave it off, but I don't." This may or may not lead to a discussion of puberty and bodily changes. If they ask why you don't shave, just say "There's no need to." or "Why should I?"

Don't make any value judgements about women who choose to shave, just say it's a personal choice, it's not something that women "have to" do, and you don't want to. When they're bigger, they can decide if they want to shave or not.

~PurityLake~ likes this.

#27 of 59 Old 05-24-2011, 07:37 PM

Hey mamas! I am happy to join this thread as the last hair I cut off of me was my dreadlocks. the only places I really go with shorts and tank tops on are either very open minded or amongst folks I doubt I'll ever see again. So when I'm around like minded people no one seems to mind and when I'm somewhere where I get those odd stares I doubt I'll be around them again for them to stare at me. I went to high school in Nor Cal and a hand full of the girls I knew didn't shave either nor did most of my friends when I went off on tour as a teenager.

The only thing I don't like about being a hairy mama is that my ds loves to yank on my armpit hair when he is nursing. Like all of a sudden he sees the hair there and has to play tug of war with it!

Be good y'all

AntauLJn likes this.

be good family...

#28 of 59 Old 05-24-2011, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthla View Post

What's new with me? My father passed away on Wednesday morning. Things have been pretty stressful the past few weeks because he was ill.

*hugs* I'm sorry to hear that. I hope your family had an opportunity to destress and remember the beauty he brought to your world. Be well.

be good family...

#29 of 59 Old 05-25-2011, 06:46 AM

Thanks Ruthla. Great advice! 

Im sorry to hear about your father. I hope the shiva brought you peace and comfort. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthla View Post

I wouldn't bring it up unless one of the girls notices and asks about it. Then I'd suggest being matter-of-fact about it. "I have hair on my legs because it grows there on grown-up women. Some women shave it off, but I don't." This may or may not lead to a discussion of puberty and bodily changes. If they ask why you don't shave, just say "There's no need to." or "Why should I?"

Don't make any value judgements about women who choose to shave, just say it's a personal choice, it's not something that women "have to" do, and you don't want to. When they're bigger, they can decide if they want to shave or not.

#30 of 59 Old 05-25-2011, 06:30 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

What a fun thread!

I'm a hairy mama too! I haven't shaved anything since I was deployed in the military 4 years ago. I came home and realized that I liked the hair I'd grown, and it would stay. Also at the time, I lived in a city with lots of unshaved women, and it was normal. Since I've moved, though, I haven't seen a single unshaven woman, but that doesn't stop me. I wear lots of cute sleeveless shirts, and I don't care who sees. :D I do trim up before I don a bathing suit, though, mostly because I have gobs of escaping hair there, and I just can't think that's not yucky.

Actually, seeing my own and other women's natural bodies has changed the way I think of hair. Now when I see women with shaved legs or armpits, I can't help thinking how strange they look, and it takes a minute to realize they look strange to me because they're shiny and hairless. Furry ladies have become my new normal. :D

I love how we can all claim such freedom for ourselves by having our bodies just how we'd like them to be, despite the difference from everyone around us.

AntauLJn likes this.

Maker-mama, joyously loving my boy, Winter Rhys, born 12/2011, and our twins, Wren and Forest, born 4/2014.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page