Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS) in Dr. Bronner's - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 01-12-2011, 08:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am brand new to replacing all products with homemade or good brands. I have been reading many threads here and see a lot of Dr. Bronner's. Looks great! But when i saw the Sal's cleaner from Dr. Bronner's it has SLS.

Thoughts?

i can make home cleaners and deoderant...

working on liquid soap, shampoo, lotion, bodywash, dishsoap and laundry detergent.

#2 of 8 Old 01-12-2011, 09:02 PM

We use their classic liquid soap, which does not contain SLS.  I love it, personally. 

#3 of 8 Old 01-12-2011, 09:27 PM - Thread Starter

i did notice that one...thanks. Better choice. I'm not sure if SLS is really bad or not?

#4 of 8 Old 01-13-2011, 07:08 AM

I try to avoid SLS at all cost! It's in almost every shampoo. I've stopped using shampoos with this ingredient. It is like industrial grade soap/degreaser. Quite drying IMO!

A_Random_Phrase likes this.

Wife to DH(15 years)and Mama to: Jacob(5/02)kid.gifribbonpurple.gif, and Alina(7/07)energy.gifI luxlove.gifbellyhair.gif
#5 of 8 Old 01-13-2011, 07:50 AM

I just use their original soaps. They are extremely versatile and don't contain SLS or other nasty stuff.

S~ Peace loving, natural living, FuNkY vegan mama to Keiran bouncy.gif 23/Dec/06:
"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter" ~~ MLK
#6 of 8 Old 01-13-2011, 04:40 PM

hi there - Lisa Bronner wrote a very informative post on SLS in her wonderful blog, you can check it out at:

http://lisa.drbronner.com/?p=197

She also writes about other chemicals in personal care products on the blog as well - clik on the "Chemicals" category.I am completely with you in terms of avoiding nasties wherever possible, but there is no doubt many large corporations have corporate profits as their first goal.

For an eye opening overview of the cosmetics industry http://storyofstuff.org/cosmetics/

A_Random_Phrase likes this.
#7 of 8 Old 01-14-2011, 01:34 PM

Sal Suds is a housecleaner and not intended for bodycare use.  It's Dr. Bronners answer to the problem that their soap breaks down easily and can leave a film on floors and dishes and such.  As such I don't see why the SLS is a biggie.  I'm not going to use it to wash my hair (or my baby) but it works better than the regular Bronners to wash my floor.

Brendalee likes this.
#8 of 8 Old 01-23-2011, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamomile Girl View Post

Sal Suds is a housecleaner and not intended for bodycare use.  It's Dr. Bronners answer to the problem that their soap breaks down easily and can leave a film on floors and dishes and such.  As such I don't see why the SLS is a biggie.  I'm not going to use it to wash my hair (or my baby) but it works better than the regular Bronners to wash my floor.

this.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page