No pooing with a bad scalp? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-15-2011, 06:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My scalp is horrendous! I get scab like things that itch, i always get them right after I was my hair.This happens with shampoo and conditioner or one or the other, I have tried dandruff stuff and it doesn't effect it. I have tried sacylic  acid stuff they recommend as well...

So I decided to try no pooing. It makes my hair look and feel nice after the initial month or so of kind of gross hair but it makes my scalp so much worse! It's absolutely killing me. I tried adding a few drops of lavender oil to the ACV as I saw someone recommend it in the archive, but it has not helped at all.

anyone know how to help my scalp?!

Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2011, 04:21 PM

Hopefully someone wiser than I will help answer your question but here are a few ideas, as I deal with itchy skin/scalp issues too sometimes:

I don't no-poo, but I do use shampoo bars (Chagrin) and find that if I rinse with nettle or rosemary infusion, there is no itch and my hair is glossy and clean. 

I have also found the following to be beneficial to my scalp if rubbed in and left on for at least for a couple hours before washing:

Tea tree oil

Coconut oil

Plain Yogurt

Rosemary oil

Neem oil   

Honey

Good luck!  

Old 02-22-2011, 12:57 AM

How often are you washing your hair? How often are you washing your scalp with the conditioner? How are you washing your scalp, with your fingertips (the pads) or the nails?

You might want to experiment with the frequency of the scalp scrubbing. I've found that if I wash my hair daily, I can't use the conditioner directly on my scalp that often. It works best to lightly rub it with just water some days, and then 2-3 times a week use the conditioner on it. Otherwise it's too drying and I think it results in almost a cradle cap kind of thing. Do you have sensitive skin? I do, and I think that's why it's so picky about these things. I had more scalp trouble with sulfate shampoo, so I do think it's a dried-out skin issue. Other people can use the conditioner on their skin daily and it's fine. I've also found that mine does better if I don't use my nails on it when washing. I don't know if the nails and conditioner irritate it or what, but it's much better when I don't do that.

User Tag List