alternative soaps for yeast-prone people? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 01-25-2011, 09:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello!  I'm new to posting but have found natural house/body tips on here for awhile and am looking for some wisdom.

I'm looking for a good natural soap that won't aggravate my yeast-infection-prone body.

When I started battling recurrent yeast infections a couple of years ago, my ob/gyn recommended I switch to Dove Sensitive Skin, Unscented soap. I did so, and have done other things to get the situation under control.

However, I'm still using Dove, and I'm annoyed that the "safe" soap is full of ridiculous chemicals. I want to switch back to more natural body soap, but don't want to set anything off balance!

I have been told not to use glycerin soaps (the logic is that glycerin = sugar). I considered Dr Bronner's Unscented Baby-Mild soap, but it has "retained glycerin." Apparently that's a normally-occurring part of the soapmaking process, but highly-processed soaps sometimes have the glycerin extracted.

What should I use? I'm looking for unscented, all-natural, etc.

Any tips, based on either soapmaking or showering experience would be WONDERFUL!

Thanks!

p.s. Just so I don't receive 20 messages about it: I know one shouldn't use soap directly on the vulva. It's just a matter of suds running over my body/bottom/etc.

#2 of 3 Old 01-26-2011, 06:45 AM

There is a company I've ordered soap from.  They are on Etsy.com.  Search for Frost Fish Cove Soaps.  They have a soap called Yeast Defense.  You can do a search at the top of the page.  Their soaps are beautiful and smell wonderful!  We receive their soap of the month and one month we received the Yeast Defense.  I wasn't experiencing a yeast problem at the time so I can't speak to that, but it would be worth a try to be able to use something other than Dove. 

Hope this helps!

Mama to Ainsley (7/01) , Finley (10/06) and Jade (10/06)

#3 of 3 Old 01-26-2011, 02:13 PM

Subbing to this, because in the last year I've started having some serious yeast problems on my skin.  I've always struggled with "athlete's foot", but now I tend to get yeasty issues in my butt crack, in the crease where the leg meets the trunk & under my breasts.  Strangely enough, I can also smell it under my fingernails. ?!

I have gained 100lbs in the last year (psych meds, which I'm currently off of, but I will need to start some again soon) & one of my medications (that I canNOT change just yet) already makes me sweat like crazy.  Add in being very overweight & the extra skin folds that being overweight brings & I apparently had a recipe for disaster.

I was prescribed Nystatin powder (Nystop), which helped to some degree but not completely, plus I just don't like the idea of using it.  I'm also on terbinafine for a long-standing toenail fungal infection that made my big toenails fall off.  It seems to not only be helping with that but also clearing up the athlete's foot (which had gotten pretty bad by the time I finally went to a podiatrist!).  The foot doc also prescribed Formalin liquid to stop the sweating on my feet (and thus help with the athlete's foot), but that's formaldehyde!

Surprisingly, my recurring bouts of vaginal YI have stopped in the last year - now it's just all over my skin!  I'm trying to change my diet (something close to a Nourishing Traditions kind of thing) & I'm hoping this will help.  But an alternative washing product would be very helpful!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page