Natural Deodorant? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 25 Old 01-27-2011, 12:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Does anyone have any recommendations on natural deodorants that actually work without having to reapply all day?  I tried J/A/S/O/N and it was awful!  I'd really like to make the switch but am struggling finding one that works.  Thanks!

ETA: The correct brand name of the one I tried.  :)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 25 Old 01-28-2011, 07:47 AM

I've been using Bubble and Bee's Pit Putty for a while now. I have the Geranium Lime and also Lemongrass with Baking soda (my husband is currently using that one) and I feel like they work quite well http://www.bubbleandbee.com/servlet/the-Organic-Deodorants/Categories. As I'm sure you know, they are deodorants not anti-perspirants, so there may be some wetness depending on how much or how little you sweat. I don't really sweat much so I don't feel it's a problem. And as time goes by I find that I actually sweat less than I did with using conventional anti-perspirants. Some other one's you might look into are Erbaviva's spray deodrant http://www.erbaviva.com/deodorant.asp. I have also seen a brand called Terra Naturals http://terranaturals.com/, which looks like it could be good, but again I've never tried it. It seems like it gets decent reviews though if you google them. Some people have an issue with the fact that the company seems to be owned by DuPont, but I guess you can look at the ingredients, reviews, and decide for yourself.

#3 of 25 Old 01-28-2011, 11:22 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks!

#4 of 25 Old 01-28-2011, 11:28 AM

Oh my, I am loving Tom of Maine's new lemongrass scent. It is so fresh and I never have to reapply.

Me afro.jpg reading.gif Wife and Mom to modifiedartist.gif cat.gifdog2.gif.
#5 of 25 Old 01-28-2011, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks a bunch!  I actually found a Tom's at Target last night on sale for less than $4 so I thought I'd give it a shot.  ;)

#6 of 25 Old 01-28-2011, 12:40 PM

I have a Tom's Honeysuckle Rose that seems to be working pretty good.  I was trying to use homemade deodorant, but the baking soda was making me break out really bad.  I'm hoping to try a few other things this summer, but for now the Tom's is working good :)

#7 of 25 Old 01-28-2011, 01:39 PM

I tried a million natural deodorants and none of them worked for me.  I switched to mixing up equal parts baking soda and coconut oil for awhile and that worked great, but irritated my skin a little.  Now I use Milk of Magnesia.  Just pour a little in a tiny squirt bottle, give yourself a couple of squirts and you're good to go! 

#8 of 25 Old 02-03-2011, 06:58 AM

I haven't been able to find a natural deodorant that works for me.  The only thing that works (besides super strength Secret) is for me to scrub my armpits in the shower with soap and a loofa or washcloth, wipe with alcohol after the shower, then a mix of coconut oil and baking soda.  Even then, if it's a super hot day and I'm sweaty, I have to clean again and start over or use a natural scented deodorant several times a day.  Sometimes, I carry alcohol wipes in my purse or alcohol hand sanitizer wipes and clean off with them if I find myself being stinky, but they do irritate if I use them too much.  One thing, I've found that the more coffee I drink in a day, the stinkier I tend to get.  I hate to admit it, but I do keep a container of Secret for those days when I absolutely don't want to get stinky. . .I hate using it at all, but I figure once a month or less hopefully won't hurt me too bad.

Barbara:  an always learning SAHM of Ilana (11) and Aiden (8) living in Belgium with my amazing husband.

#9 of 25 Old 02-03-2011, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treemom2 View Post

I haven't been able to find a natural deodorant that works for me.  The only thing that works (besides super strength Secret) is for me to scrub my armpits in the shower with soap and a loofa or washcloth, wipe with alcohol after the shower, then a mix of coconut oil and baking soda.  Even then, if it's a super hot day and I'm sweaty, I have to clean again and start over or use a natural scented deodorant several times a day.  Sometimes, I carry alcohol wipes in my purse or alcohol hand sanitizer wipes and clean off with them if I find myself being stinky, but they do irritate if I use them too much.  One thing, I've found that the more coffee I drink in a day, the stinkier I tend to get.  I hate to admit it, but I do keep a container of Secret for those days when I absolutely don't want to get stinky. . .I hate using it at all, but I figure once a month or less hopefully won't hurt me too bad.

When my husband drinks a lot of coffee he sweats so much more than when he cuts back.  I don't notice a difference in his smell but he still uses regular antiperspirant because he's worried he'd smell too bad if he switched to a natural kind.  The coffee makes him sweat a lot all over his body.  I read somewhere that someone said they smell more when they eat chocolate.  Maybe it has to do with the caffeine?

#10 of 25 Old 02-06-2011, 09:52 PM - Thread Starter

Okay now I'm at a loss again.  I was liking my Tom's lavender.  It worked well enough - had to reapply some days but not horrid and most people wouldn't notice.  But now I have this crazy weird rash in the crease of my pits.  It doesn't itch, there are no bumps it's just really red and looks awful.  Any suggestions?  So far we tried Jason Tea Tree which was awful and Tom's Lavender. 

#11 of 25 Old 02-06-2011, 10:05 PM

I have never had luck with any natural deodorant in a solid or roll-on form. And I used to be a whole body buyer for whole foods so I got to try them all. If you want an over the counter deodorant that actually works go for one that sprays on, and that contains alcohol with essential oils. The best ones I have found are the Weleda sprays (they have a citrus, a sage and a rose spray) and the Burt's Bees spray (although I haven't tried it since the company was bought by clorox, and I don't know if they changed the formula when they shrank the container size). Aubrey makes a pine formula in their men's line that works well too. The other Aubrey ones make me reek like nobody's business! Bleah, watch out for those.
#12 of 25 Old 02-06-2011, 10:23 PM - Thread Starter

Awesome!  I'll check out the spray on ones tomorrow.  I know they have a Thai Crystal one and a few others but I can't remember the other brands right now.

#13 of 25 Old 02-06-2011, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSlingMama View Post

Awesome!  I'll check out the spray on ones tomorrow.  I know they have a Thai Crystal one and a few others but I can't remember the other brands right now.

The crystal deodorants are totally different than an essential oil based formula. They are alum salt based and actually work as more of a antiperspirant. There are other threads on here about deodorant crystals and people's success/failure with them.

Just a heads up. smile.gif
#14 of 25 Old 02-06-2011, 11:54 PM - Thread Starter

Lol see this is why I come here! I'll go check what my brand options are in the morning.
#15 of 25 Old 02-18-2011, 02:00 PM

i love tom's of maine apricot

#16 of 25 Old 03-01-2011, 10:13 AM

I use the miessence deodorant, and I love it. It is the only natural deodorant that works. I have a few friends who are runners, and it's what they use because it works. It's usually around $10 and lasts 6-12 months.

#17 of 25 Old 03-01-2011, 10:39 PM

I really like Toms of Maine deodorant.  Their apricot long lasting deodorant works without having to reapply it constantly (at least it does for me).  It is all natural and doesn't contain any aluminum.

Jessie

#18 of 25 Old 03-02-2011, 03:55 AM

I love the Thai crystal spray, after a few weeks of using it, I still don't smell even the next day! My DH was skeptical but loves it now and he uses it also. It has to the Thai brand for us, though. I tried a different one and it didn't work by the end of the same day, even, maybe it had more water, I don't know.
The solid Thai worked great but was very awkward and I dropped it so many times that eventually it shattered completely.

Deb, Mom to Madeleine 8/2005 and Maia 11/2009 Nick: and Chris
#19 of 25 Old 03-02-2011, 08:29 PM

I love Toms of Maine. I think it's just unscented. I couldn't even wear deodorant for the longest time because everything burned and irritated my skin, Toms in the only thing I've found that doesn't irritate me and actually works.

Marcy, WAHM to Alyssa (2/4/04) and Kaitlyn (6/5/06) plus cat.gifcat.gifdog2.gifdog2.gif
#20 of 25 Old 03-03-2011, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaina View Post

i love tom's of maine apricot

I did too, til it made be start to itch!  I didn't break out or anything, but OMG! I itched sooo much.  It took about a week of using it for me to start, but now, even if I just use it once a month, I get itchy.  greensad.gif

I switched to coconut oil, and a mixture of baking soda and cornstarch (or arrowroot powder).  I haven't used it in the summer yet, but it's worked well so far.  I don't stink, even the day after applying, which it more than I could say for my Mitchum unscented PowerGel.

Strong single mama to Ethan (9/09) and Rowyn (7/12)
#21 of 25 Old 03-03-2011, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter

I had some crazy reaction to my Tom's of Maine that took me forever to clear up.  :(  So, now we're going to try this one.  I hope it works!  :)

#22 of 25 Old 03-13-2011, 04:44 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:

I had some crazy reaction to my Tom's of Maine that took me forever to clear up.  :(  So, now we're going to try this one.  I hope it works!  :)

I had a bad reaction to the long lasting one. My underarms hurt so badly!!

#23 of 25 Old 03-13-2011, 11:36 PM - Thread Starter

I know!  Whatever it was HURT!  So far I'm using the one I linked and loving it.  It's last the best of all I've tried.  I walked my pittie with my daughter in a woven wrap in a back carry (so wrap and shirt rubbing my underarms with no breathing room) for 2 1/2 hours today.  Came home very warm and still working!  WHOHOO!

#24 of 25 Old 03-14-2011, 05:34 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:

I'm going to have to try that one!

#25 of 25 Old 03-14-2011, 05:37 AM

I'm allergic to a lot of deodorants. Natural ones, regular ones, doesn't matter. I'll use one for a while and be fine, and then I'll get that rash you're talking about.

So.... I haven't used any regularly in years. And I live in a really hot, humid climate. I used to sweat a lot, but after a month or so of not using it, I barely sweat at all. If I'm going someplace nice or somewhere I'll really care if I sweat some, I'll wear Tom's apricot, but it's only maybe once every two weeks, so I don't develop any rashes or issues. 

I don't think anyone, even my husband, really realizes I don't use it anymore. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page