Straight olive oil for clensing and moisturizing - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 01-28-2011, 05:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I've been reading a lot of threads here and elsewhere online about whether it's okay to use just (extra-virgin) olive oil to cleanse and moisturize my face, but there are so many opposing opinions! I know about the OCM and that you're supposed to use a mixture of castor oil, and I have read many recommendations for using jojoba or coconut oil as a moisturizer.... But, I live in Japan and it's both difficult and expensive to get my hands on these various oils. Even olive oil can get pretty pricey, but it's the most convenient and economical option. 

So can anyone confirm that they've safely (i.e., no resulting cystic acne) and successfully used just olive oil to cleanse and moisturize? 

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 02-01-2011, 09:10 PM

I have had no problems with just using olive oil. I didn't feel like it got my face completely clean, but I had no problems with it. I suppose if one used water on a wash cloth first, then the oil, it would clean better (I just used the oil). I don't know how prone you are to breaking out, though. My daughter, who is prone to that, has used honey as a facial cleanser.

#3 of 4 Old 02-01-2011, 09:28 PM

I just started to use the OCM and didn't have any castor oil until today. I haven't mixed it up yet with the olive oil so not sure how it will feel yet. Just the olive oil was fine for me. My skin felt smoother after and my acne seemed less red and started to fade right away.
#4 of 4 Old 02-02-2011, 06:42 AM

I would think that when it comes to differences in oils (correct me if i'm wrong), it more has to do with how it feels on your skin, and i can imagine olive oil being harder to wash off--is it?  But i don't think it'll harm your skin at all!  In my research, cystic acne has more to do with what's going on inside your body (hormones, diet, etc.).  When my cystic acne flares up, i start drinking water with a splash of apple cider vinegar once or twice a day and it's gone in days.

Also, if acne is your problem (which i don't know if it is a consistent problem for you), try washing with just a wet wash cloth and see how that goes.  The oil in your skin may be just enough moisturizer for you.  In the drier months, i apply aloe vera jelly, but the rest of the year, that suffices for me.  And it's much cheaper!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page