Making beeswax lotion - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 02-01-2011, 08:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I want to make some lotion with olive oil and beeswax.  From the recipes I have found online, the reviews are mixed for how well that it will emulsify.  Does anyone know any tricks?  I've never made lotion before but I am familiar with making good emulsification in cooking!  Some people say not to add water if you use beeswax (rather than emulsifying wax) but I have read others that say use more water.

Any advice??

#2 of 15 Old 02-01-2011, 06:51 PM - Thread Starter

bumpity bump!

#3 of 15 Old 02-01-2011, 07:00 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If you don't add water what you will have will be a salve, not a lotion. I'm not sure about the "more or less water equation" because more or less than what?

My one piece of advice would be to make sure and only use distilled water or something like a hydrosal. And then let experimentation be your guide!
#4 of 15 Old 02-02-2011, 09:33 AM - Thread Starter

cool, thanks.  So why is it important to use distilled water.  I'm not familiar with the other thing that you suggested. 

Have you had success using beeswax to make lotion?

#5 of 15 Old 02-02-2011, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolip View Post

cool, thanks.  So why is it important to use distilled water.  I'm not familiar with the other thing that you suggested. 

Have you had success using beeswax to make lotion?

If you use tap water your product will mold or otherwise be compromised because tap water has all sorts of contaminants in it. Distilled is bacteria/spore free.

Hydrosol is the water left from essential oil distilling processing...so its pure and it smells great. Like rosewater. Works great as a toner alone too.

Yes I have made lotion from beeswax, but honestly I find lotion too fussy because without artificial binders it will eventually de emulsify. I don't have a good receipe because I tend to just throw things together to see what works! Now I just make oil and salve blends and use them with a good hydrosol.
#6 of 15 Old 02-03-2011, 12:01 PM

I make lotion with beeswax and I love it! I just use plain tap water, but it does occasionally mold, so distilled is probably the better way to go (I just keep forgetting to buy some!) I melt together my beeswax and whatever oils I'm using then pour it into the food processor and wait for it to cool. Once it's at room temperature I add the water while blending. 

Single Mama to Vincent 3/30/09
#7 of 15 Old 02-03-2011, 02:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamiPolizzi View Post

I make lotion with beeswax and I love it! I just use plain tap water, but it does occasionally mold, so distilled is probably the better way to go (I just keep forgetting to buy some!) I melt together my beeswax and whatever oils I'm using then pour it into the food processor and wait for it to cool. Once it's at room temperature I add the water while blending. 

oh awesome!  I'm so glad to hear that it works for you!  So you let it cool all the way in the food processor?  Have you tried adding vitamin E to preserve it?

#8 of 15 Old 02-07-2011, 08:06 PM

Location: In the garden of dreams***Tellin myself it's not as hard as it seems***

Hi there! New to MDC, but love to make my own body care products. Experimentation is key but generally the rule for lotion/face cream is 1 part waters to 1 part oils. 1/2 cup liquid oil (almond apricot) to 1/3 cup solid oil (cocoa butter, coconut oil, beeswax, and lanolin). Vitamins A and E are great as well as 1 or 2 drops of your favorite essential oil. Happy concocting :)

#9 of 15 Old 02-19-2011, 05:49 PM - Thread Starter

so my first attempt failed, my second batch is cooling in the blender (while running) right now. I am nervous! I might need some troubleshooting help! redface.gif
#10 of 15 Old 03-01-2011, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter

I definitely need help, neither batch turned out!! The first batch separated like a broken emulsion, it looked just like a broke sauce or frosting. So the second batch I let run in the blender while it cooled but it still didn't work. It appears creamy but it is very hard and when I rub it on my skin, little bubbles of water come out. Any ideas?
#11 of 15 Old 03-01-2011, 12:46 PM

I have made balms and salves with good results. I haven't tried adding water to make a lotion -- but I've wanted to experiment with that since balms can be trickier to spread.

I did come across a great website with tonnes of recipes.  There is a recipe for mixing a little bit of Borax with the water, i don't know if this would help with the emulsifying thing. Also I don't know how natural or abrasive borax might be. (you find it sold with laundry detergents...)

here's the website i found:

http://www.makeyourcosmetics.com/recipes/index.asp?cat=lotions

Good luck! i hope with some experimenting you can find something that works for you!

#12 of 15 Old 03-01-2011, 07:15 PM

Don't run the blender while it cools, just pour it in and wait for it to cool and THEN add the water while blending. I hope that helps. What's the recipe you're using?

Single Mama to Vincent 3/30/09
#13 of 15 Old 03-01-2011, 07:20 PM - Thread Starter

There's no way that would have worked, it would have been solid! Does that mean that I used too much wax? I used 1/4 c wax 1/4 c olive oil and about 1 cup + water. Does that sound off?

Anyone have an exact recipe I could try?
#14 of 15 Old 03-01-2011, 08:17 PM

Yeah that is way too much wax. Here is a recipe from Jeane Rose's Herbal Body Book:

1/2 oz beeswax
2oz Olive Oil
1/2 oz rose water
1/2oz almond oil

Melt beeswax in the top of a double boiler. Add the oils a bit of a time stirring constantly. Turn off heat and add the water, again stirring constantly until the emulsion is cool. Add any essential oils and stir them in completely.

Even if you can't measure in oz at least it gives the proportions.
#15 of 15 Old 03-02-2011, 08:33 AM - Thread Starter

cool, thanks! I can't wait to try that.

That seems like a very small amount of water compared to other recipes I've seen. But then again, other recipes haven't worked out so well wink1.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page