Alternatives to pads for PP bleeding? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 02-01-2011, 05:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I know you're not supposed to use tampons for PP bleeding, and I absolutely loathe commercial menstrual pads. Is there anything else I can use?? I'm thinking cloth pads might be less uncomfortable than those horrible plasticky disposable ones...? What about the Diva Cup - is that safe postpartum?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! :)

Mama to a preschooler and a baby.

#2 of 3 Old 02-01-2011, 09:03 PM

Location: In the garden of dreams***Tellin myself it's not as hard as it seems***

The Diva Cup Post Childbirth Cup is on the top of the recent review list here. Read those reviews! hope it works out for you! I personally haven't tried it...rocked a diaper for a couple weeks after my sonny was born! ha! Wish I'd known about the Diva Cup tho!

#3 of 3 Old 02-02-2011, 11:45 AM

I don't think you are supposed to use anything internally for postpartum.  I have a DivaCup but am planning to use cloth pads until the PP flow is over and my regular cycles return.  I think one of the issues is that menstrual cups rely on your vaginal muscles to hold it in place and things are not quite the same in there until you finish healing.

I just wrote a big long post in Mindful Home about cloth pads so I won't repeat myself here, but basically I listed some of the places I got my pads from.  I think right now my stash has 10 overnight/PP size pads, 4 heavy, 7 day pads, and a whole stack of lights/liners (probably around 15).  My light pads have been getting a workout even in pregnancy for everyday discharge kind of stuff.  I'm currently debating if I should get a few more heavy ones, it's tough because it's my first baby so I don't know what kind of flow to expect and I know it varies by person.

Some mamas use infant or preemie prefolds just tri-folded in their undies, and I guess as long as you change frequently you shouldn't leak through.  My pads have fleece backing which seems to be a very good waterproof barrier, I think it is definitely more breathable than PUL.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page