mama cloth - wool backing vs PUL or fleece? Your favorite? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 02-04-2011, 10:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I THOUGHT I'd narrowed my choices for mama cloth down to domino pads or party in my pants, but then I found Moonbows by fussybutt and read about the wool backing (and just so happen to be starting to get very into wool for nighttime diapering dd), and I thought that was genius!  Does anyone have experience with either/both?  I'm concerned about heat retention and sweating with the PUL backing or even fleece for that matter. 

Does the wool REALLY breathe?  Do PUL and fleece really not breathe?  And I'm assuming with a stay dry fleece layer on top that would make the pad itself stay dry, but perhaps not you because the heat would make you sweat more?  I don't believe any of those three brands offer a stay dry fleece liner, but I've been considering that too.  However, most of the weight I carry is on my lower half, and I don't want to get too sweaty. 

Any input or even recommendations about other brands are welcome!! 

I'm relatively heavy set and have VERY heavy periods - I can go through a super plus tampon AND an overnight style store bought pad underneath it in a few hours on my heaviest days!

I'm not opposed to lanalizing wool though - I have to do my longies for dd so it's no trouble (I read you can just spritz the backing with some lanolin), but I also wonder if the wool would be waterproof enough for my heavy flow?

#2 of 8 Old 12-24-2011, 07:26 AM

I haven't used PUL because I can only imagine how hot they would be. I have fleece and wool. I prefer my wool over the fleece because, yes it really does breath! My overnight pads are fleece and they're so stinkin hot in summer time. I'm working on making my own pp pads with a wool backing. Also do not like minky topped for the same reason as fleece. My preference is bamboo velour topped, zorb inner for heavy.

I do not have a heavy flow but I plan on using them as pp cloth. If you notice with your child when they get heavily wet and sit down with a wool cover you get compression leaks, similar with wool. But also similar with fleece.

#3 of 8 Old 03-07-2012, 07:41 PM

I do use pads with PUL...I also have VERY heavy flow. I made a few of my own....I have flannel top with 2 to 3 layers of terry cloth (an old towel) PUL, and a flannel back....1. they do not leak 2. I am very sensitive and have never noticed the PUL "not breathing" or making me hot / sweat etc.... LOVE my pads!

Have you tried any with PUL since your post?

~Gabbi~ Life experienced by me..... Mommy to 4 chicken3.gif,Furry Babies x 2 dog2.gif,and the love of my life trekkie.gif

#4 of 8 Old 04-18-2012, 10:48 AM

I have never tried PUL pads but I've used fleece backed pads for years and have loved them.  Lately, I'm trying out some zorb and really like it so far!  I should add that I do sell cloth pads so I guess I'm partial.  :-D  Also haven't tried wool but would rather not use anything requiring special care.

hang.gif  

#5 of 8 Old 05-15-2012, 01:33 PM

I wouldn't recommend using any pads with PUL. It's not breathable, which can lead to discomfort (hot & damp) and also creates a perfect breeding ground for bacteria -- yuck. :(

crochetsmilie.gif heartbeat.gif cat.gif

#6 of 8 Old 05-15-2012, 02:13 PM

I also make my own and i DO use PUL - they dont seem sweaty or hot to me - i dont have a heavy flow at all, and i will usually wear the same pad most of the day - i use hemp terry as the first layer - or hemp / bamboo for the middle and have no "bacteria issues!"

I like the PUL because i know they wont leak.

Happy at Home Mama to DD 4/95 DS 4/98 and DS#2 8/10  femalesling.GIF        h20homebirth.gif       sewmachine.gif

http://www.etsy.com/shop/motherhendoula

#7 of 8 Old 05-16-2012, 10:12 AM

i have some with PUL, some without, some with fleece, and tbh I dont notice much of a difference between them, i dont find any particular one hot and sweaty over others.

If these are your first cloth, I highly recommend buying a few from each seller, as that way you can decide which you like better, little differences count!

Aspiring Midwife applying to University for fall 2011!
#8 of 8 Old 05-18-2012, 09:03 PM

I used cotton pads (they were menstrual pads, actually--the heavy-duty overnight kind from GladRags) as postpartum pads and found that they worked great, except for one breastfeeding-induced gush of blood that soaked not only my pad and clothes but made a big puddle on the floor.  Not sure anything would've stopped that one.  I did use the disposable pads they gave me for the first day or two (while in hospital)--after that the cloth pads were more than enough.

I had my DD in August and just the thought of wool, PUL or fleece at that time makes me cringe.  Cotton all the way. 

Mom to the wacky and wonderful Kalyani (August 2011) femalesling.GIF

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page