How bad is vaseline, really? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-10-2011, 03:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

It's the only thing that keeps ds2's cheeks from getting red, chapped, and rashy. It even does better than the $25 for 2oz calendua healing cream that works wonders on the rest of his eczema. But for his cheeks, nothing touches the effectiveness of vaseline.

Is it really that bad?

Becky, partner to Teague, SAHM to Keagan (7yo), Jonah (2yo)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2011, 04:22 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)

Eh, I don't know. I choose not to use it, but there was an article on the Diaper Pin awhile ago in favor of petroleum. It was written by the person who made Grandma El's (sold by Happy Heiny's).   I can't get the link paste but google "The Comforting Truth About Petrolatum".

Old 02-10-2011, 05:35 PM

Old 02-10-2011, 05:49 PM

All 3 of my kids have have that chapped face every winter.  I used to use Aquafor which is mostly made up of petroleum jelly, it's put out by eucerin.  It helped out a lot, even on diaper rash (using desatin never worked for us)  I didn't like the idea of using a petroleum product and was looking for other things that I could try that were a little more natural.  One thing I have found that works really really well is Lansinoh, like the stuff you put on your nipples when breast feeding. It's pure lanolin and creates a barrier like the petroleum does.  I use it on faces and bums when they get chapped or diaper rash.  I also have tried Shea butter and that helps out a lot too since it's so thick when you put it on it doesn't just wipe right off, or soak into the skin too fast.  I think that's why the lansinoh works so good also.  I think the problem with a lot of lotions and creams is they don't stay on long enough to offer good protection, especially on the face where kids are drooling, licking, wiping, and have runny noses.  Where as things that are thick and water proof stay on longer and protect better.

As far as how bad Vaseline is... I have no idea..lol

Old 02-10-2011, 05:57 PM

My son had very sensitive skin as a baby. I once took him to his dr because he had a lot of redness and swelling on his bottom that just wouldn't clear up no matter what diaper rash ointment I tried. His dr said allergies to ingredients in diaper rash ointments are relatively common, and recommended vasoline.

Vasoline is one of the least expensive skin care options, and my son never had another rash since we switched. It's "tried and true" as one of the oldest skin care products on the market.

I'm sure there are better products available (I also love calendula), but I lived by the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" philosophy.
Old 02-10-2011, 06:20 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by indiefolklore View Post

Vaseline is a “mineral oil” based product, meaning it is made from petroleum. These products come from the absolute last, cast-off, “left overs” of the petroleum industry.

But, why does that automatically make it a bad product?  We use by-products of things all the time - we use the bones of animals to make stock, we use buttermilk which is left over from making butter.  I get that these are natural things but, just because something is a by-product doesn't in and of itself make it some how dirty or unusable. 

Personally, I think it's a pretty benign substance.  It's not going to hurt a thing.  What does hurt are chapped cheeks.  If vaseline helps, I say go for it. 

Old 02-18-2011, 02:58 PM

petrolium is what gas is made out of

Old 02-18-2011, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amcal View Post

But, why does that automatically make it a bad product?  We use by-products of things all the time - we use the bones of animals to make stock, we use buttermilk which is left over from making butter.  I get that these are natural things but, just because something is a by-product doesn't in and of itself make it some how dirty or unusable. 

Personally, I think it's a pretty benign substance.  It's not going to hurt a thing.  What does hurt are chapped cheeks.  If vaseline helps, I say go for it. 

I think the point is that this is the leftover product after all the chemical processing, many rounds with many different industrial processes and chemicals. Your bones and buttermilk didn't go through vats of chemicals to get that way. But I don't know a lot about petroleum. I do agree that lansinoh has a similar feel to vaseline. Other ideas include coconut oil or maybe a product with beeswax in it.

Old 02-19-2011, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seashells View Post

I think the point is that this is the leftover product after all the chemical processing, many rounds with many different industrial processes and chemicals. Your bones and buttermilk didn't go through vats of chemicals to get that way. But I don't know a lot about petroleum. I do agree that lansinoh has a similar feel to vaseline. Other ideas include coconut oil or maybe a product with beeswax in it.

In reference to the bolded portion... maybe originally butter and meat bones were not the product of "many different industrial processes and chemicals" but I am confident that they certainly do go through that kind of processing in today's world, unless you are churning your own, etc. I'm thinking of The Jungle, which of course it's not so bad as that currently, but the reality is that anything you buy in the store (like butter, or meat, etc) came from some kind of processing plant/factory.

Personally, I don't see a problem with consuming a petroleum by-product... it seems more ethical than consuming the original petroleum product (gasoline... or even dish detergent, for that matter). If there weren't a demand for the original, then the by-product becomes a moot point. It just seems like a backward statement to boycott a by-product unless one boycotts all the original product too (which people on this thread may, and I'd like to say I never drive a car, but I'd be lying...).

So theoretically, if petroleum products are being produced, and petrolatum is a by-product, then why allow the production of petroleum to create a by-product that could be useful, but heads into the landfill anyway? Like, why throw it away or not use it when it's useful and affordable, since the real issue isn't Vasaline, but more like Shell Oil/Exxon/BP/Chevron/etc...? What's the more effective/appropriate statement to make?

I'm more than interested to hear about the health/safety issues with petrolatum, since I don't really know about that... I guess I'm just speaking to the petroleum-industry by product issue, and the ethics of that argument.

K: high school teacher and mama to DS1 (7/07), loss (10/10) and DS2 (7/12). Married to my best friend and soon to be elementary school teacher!
Old 02-20-2011, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovnMama View Post

In reference to the bolded portion... maybe originally butter and meat bones were not the product of "many different industrial processes and chemicals" but I am confident that they certainly do go through that kind of processing in today's world, unless you are churning your own, etc. I'm thinking of The Jungle, which of course it's not so bad as that currently, but the reality is that anything you buy in the store (like butter, or meat, etc) came from some kind of processing plant/factory.

I mean that amcal's buttermilk and bones don't go through any chemicals :)

I agree with you that the industrial equivalents go through, maybe not vats of chemicals (though certainly, say, margarine does) but certainly a lot of processing to arrive at broth and butter. But even then, not nearly as much as with petroleum.

The thing is, petroleum is not something that you're supposed to eat. At all. So the process is not for a food grade product. Yet, the skin absorbs what is put on it. That includes petroleum, the chemicals in hair dye, the SLS degreasers in your shampoo, and so on. While I don't claim to follow this rule entirely myself (I'm working on it), I think we should all strive to only put on our skin what we would put in our mouths.

Old 02-22-2011, 08:52 AM

We use lanolin (lansinoh) left over from breastfeeding.  Just bought some more for the express purpose of preventing chapped cheeks - the ones on the face.  But it works for the other cheeks as well.

User Tag List