Does no shampoo have to be cold turkey? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 02-16-2011, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I've been planning to slowly wean my hair off of shampoo. I'm worried about quitting cold turkey because I am applying for jobs right now, and I dont' want to look bad in an interview with greasy hair. Right now, I shampoo every two days. I was thinking of moving to every 3 days, then every 4 days, and so on.

But now that I'm reading about the detoxification process, I'm wondering if the slow weaning process is viable. If I keep re-introducing detergents, will my hair ever detoxify?

#2 of 6 Old 02-19-2011, 02:29 AM - Thread Starter

Well, I have an update on this. I realized I had a bar of soap called Val's Veggie Bar. The only ingredients seem to be olive oil, salt, and fragrance. So I decided to try using that on my hair, instead of shampoo. My schedule went like this:

Day 0: Washed hair with shampoo. (Hopefully for the last time.)

Day 1: Kept hair dry. It looks fine.

Day 2: Washed hair with baking soda and ACV. It felt soft and clean, but was definitely flatter than when I used to shampoo.

Day 3: Kept hair dry. Hair was a little oily. I was indoors all day, so I let it stay oily.

Day 4: Washed with Val's Veggie Bar. Hair looks a little flat, but clean. Less glossy than before, but that's okay.

I think I can manage without using shampoo from now onwards. I don't need my hair to look great during the detox. I just need it to look acceptable when I'm in public.

#3 of 6 Old 03-28-2011, 08:06 PM

I shampoo about once a week, twice if i have an event and i need it. The way I see it I have to balance living naturally with my life, and going from poing every day to once weekly is an improvement, and as I find the time and am good with it I can stretch that further. Every little bit counts so don't feel like just because you aren't going cold turkey you aren't experiencing benifits ;)

#4 of 6 Old 03-28-2011, 11:25 PM

Even though I no longer use shampoo, I still BS/ACV every 3 days or so when it starts to get greasy. I haven't really tried to go longer and this routine suits me fine. I've been doing it this way for 4yrs now.

I did find there was a bit of a nasty greasy period in around week 6 which took a bit of perseverence!

It's a Delight-Filled Life.
 computergeek2.gif 

#5 of 6 Old 04-02-2011, 11:05 AM

I use baking soda/vinegar every other day.  If you have an interview, just wash it that day w/ baking soda or your soap bar. :)

Homebirthing mama of 2
#6 of 6 Old 04-08-2011, 08:45 AM

i had a very hard time in the beginning using a mixture of 1T baking soda to 3Twater. I had to go back to using my old shampoo and conditioner every now and then, but I stuck with the baking soda. I found trimmed my hair to shoulder length helped.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page