Homemade Lip Balm rocks!!!!!!!!!!!!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 03-17-2011, 11:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Ok So I have just finally gave in and tried to make some homemade lip balm after being addicted for literally years and spending countless dollars on natural lip balms.  I was afraid it would be too hard, too messy, too complicated or I really don't know why I've hesitated so long to try to make my own.

But holycow, it is SOOOOO Easy! And I absolutely love the texture of the way mine came out.   

The absolute best thing about it is:  Completely 100% natural, just the way I want it, and way cheaper. I was paying anywhere from $1 to $4 for a tube of natural lip balm before.  

I spent $30 on supplies including tubes and caps for enough materials to make probably 300 tubes of balm.  I don't know exactly how much per tube (because I had some materials of my own already) but I know it's cheaper than buying tubes.

So I used the following for 8 tubes of lip balm:

1 tbsp +1 tsp organic beeswax pellets

1 tbsp coconut oil

1.5 tbsp apricot kernel oil

1 tsp cocoa butter

(roughly) - the first batch was too hard so I took some out and added more oil, so this is an estimate. You can use any combination of oils and add your own scents.  I wanted unscented so I left that out.  You can google lip balm recipes and come up with a million different recipes.  I like a softer type lip balm (like the ALba organics I was using).  

Just wanted to share :)   Try it!

Living Simply and Enjoying Life
#2 of 4 Old 03-20-2011, 03:41 PM

Thanks for sharing, I love stuff like this! Could you tell me where you get your ingredients from? Would I be able to find everything at an organic food store? I'm a newbie and am making the transition to the natural lifestyle, so thanks for all your help! smile.gif

#3 of 4 Old 03-21-2011, 04:53 AM - Thread Starter

You could find the oils at the local health food store.  I don't know if they'd have the beeswax but they might.  I ordered materials from, From Nature With Love, on their website.  I ordered lip balm tubes to put them in but you could use any container you might have around the house. Good luck!

Living Simply and Enjoying Life
#4 of 4 Old 03-23-2011, 05:30 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)

I made my first batch recently and I love it.  So does everyone I shared it with.  ;)

http://www.passionatehomemaking.com/2010/11/homemade-natural-chapstick.html

That's the recipe I used.  I added peppermint essential oil.  I got all my stuff from http://www.mountainroseherbs.com/

treehugger.gifjog.gifgreenthumb.gifknit.gifnamaste.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page