Anyone make their own toothpaste? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 23 Old 03-19-2011, 03:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I've been making toothpaste with baking soda for a while, but my already sensitive teeth are getting more sensitive. I think the baking soda is just too abrasive for me. I found a recipe that uses castille soap and coconut oil, and it works well, but tastes absolutely awful. I'm going to try it again but with a lot more peppermint oil and a little bit of stevia, so we'll see how it goes. 

Does anyone know of any other way to make toothpaste?

Single Mama to Vincent 3/30/09
#2 of 23 Old 03-29-2011, 06:42 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwIREXn__Gk 

This the recipe I plan on using....

#3 of 23 Old 04-01-2011, 06:20 PM - Thread Starter

That's the recipe I've been using, but the baking soda just isn't working for me anymore. I need to find something without baking soda.

#4 of 23 Old 04-14-2011, 05:51 PM

I guess this thread is a bit old, but in case you're still looking...I actually hardly use toothpaste anymore, but the one I make is baking soda & xylitol. You could also use a bit of salt instead of the baking soda... Or perhaps coconut oil with xylitol and peppermint oil... I don't know how stevia is for teeth but xylitol is supposed to inhibit cavities...

The other thing I've been thinking of doing lately is making a rinse rather than a toothpaste -- brush with just water and then make the rinse with whatever you want & even baking soda shouldn't irritate you too much if you aren't actually brushing it in, you know?

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#5 of 23 Old 04-14-2011, 07:32 PM

#6 of 23 Old 04-15-2011, 07:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchy_mommy View Post

I guess this thread is a bit old, but in case you're still looking...I actually hardly use toothpaste anymore, but the one I make is baking soda & xylitol. You could also use a bit of salt instead of the baking soda... Or perhaps coconut oil with xylitol and peppermint oil... I don't know how stevia is for teeth but xylitol is supposed to inhibit cavities...

The other thing I've been thinking of doing lately is making a rinse rather than a toothpaste -- brush with just water and then make the rinse with whatever you want & even baking soda shouldn't irritate you too much if you aren't actually brushing it in, you know?

Lately I've given up on toothpaste all together. I just swish some mouthwash around in my mouth, brush, and then rinse with the mouthwash. My mouth wash is just water, vodka, tinctures of calendula and myrrh, and some tea tree and peppermint oil. So far it's working pretty well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paschallraschalls View Post

Here is one I found (recipe #1)

http://www.passionatehomemaking.com/2008/08/going-fluoride-free.html

That's the recipe I used! It worked but I hated how it tasted! (I also didn't have the stevia, so that probably would have helped.) It's also really hard to make with out having all the ingredients separate while it cools. Also, we had an 80 degree day last week and I realized the major flaw in coconut oil as toothpaste... my toothpaste turned into liquid. :(

#7 of 23 Old 04-22-2011, 10:54 PM

I've been making toothpaste for a few months, and each time have made a few adjustments to the recipe, that is very similar to the progressive pioneer one.  This is the one that I actually started from.  I've edited to add a bit of baking soda, and on my most recent batch I didn't use stevia or xylitol, and its the best tasting one that I've made so far.  I think the biggest thing is to use coconut oil that is refined or deodorized so the coconut flavor isn't in there.  I don't know why, but the first to batches that I made tasted like fish.  Maybe a combo of the coconut and the Dr. Bronner's?

Here is the current recipe that I'm using at the moment.  So far it also has the best consistency. 

2 tsp Natural Liquid Soap (unscented Dr. Bronner's)
4 Tb Coconut Oil
1.5 Tb Water
10-20  Sweet Orange Essential Oil
10-20  Peppermint Essential Oil
1 tsp baking soda

I'm loving making my own toothpaste!

Melissa - 3 furbabies, 2 stepkids, 1 toddler born (9/27/10).  One loss on 7/13/09.

#8 of 23 Old 04-26-2011, 09:47 AM

Actually, all you need from the above recipe is the SOAP.  Yep, many of us have  been brushing with low-glycerin soap for several years now, and my teeth are cleaner and whiter than they have ever been.  My dental hygienist is always amazed at how clean my teeth are when I go in for a cleaning and check-up.

Dr. Bronner's works fine, as do many plain, non-detergent bar soaps.  You can buy special shreds of tooth soap on-line.  I did this at first to check it out, but I have learned that you don't need to spend all that money.  A good, natural bar of plain old soap works just great.  You want to avoid fragrances and added materials, and you especially want to avoid added glycerin, as that coats your teeth, making them feel slick, but preventing them from getting really clean.

#9 of 23 Old 04-29-2011, 10:01 AM

Regular toothpaste is too sweet for me and the soap versions make me gag.  lol  So, here's what I make -- works great for sensitive teeth, too.

Toothpaste

2 parts aloe vera gel

2 parts extra virgin coconut oil

1 part arrowroot powder

smidge of sunflower lecithin

peppermint EO

Its consistency is exactly like toothpaste.  It's pure white until the lecithin is added, which changes the color to a tad off-white, but still very appealing.  And the best part is that it works great!!!!

Here's why I used the above ingredients:

Aloe vera gel:  Aloe is particularly known for its penetrating capacity to reach deeper layers of the dermis when applied topically. It has strong antiseptic properties being bactericidal, fungicidal and virucidal. It promotes cell growth. It is neurologically calming and also acts as a detoxifying agent.

The dental uses of Aloe Vera are multiple. It is extremely helpful in the treatment of gum disease - gingivitis and periodontitis. It reduces swelling of the soft tissues and consequently this reduces the bleeding of the gums. It is powerfully antiseptic in gum pockets where normal cleaning is difficult. Its antifungal properties help greatly in the problem of denture stomatitis, ie. red and sore mucous membranes which are permanently covered by a denture - this is a form of thrush. Cracked and split corners of the mouth are also subject to fungal infection and this can be cured by aloe. Its antiviral properties help in the treatment of cold sores (Herpes Simplex) and shingles (Herpes Zoster). It is a powerful healing promoter and when inserted into extraction sockets is very beneficial. It can be used in any surgical wound. It has a use in root canal treatment as a sedative dressing, healing promoter and file lubricant.

Extra virgin coconut oil: Coconut oil destroys bacteria that cause bad breath, tooth decay and gum disease.  Because coconut oil is a safe and natural food, you won't have to worry about toxicity or poison each time you brush your teeth. It alleviates tenderness, redness, sores or bleeding of the gums.  It improves absorption of minerals including calcium and magnesium, thus whitening and strengthening teeth.  (You might also read up on "oil pulling" with coconut oil.)

Arrowroot powder: It's a gentle, neutral, non-abrasive natural ingredient with wound-healing properties.  The only starch product with a calcium ash, arrowroot assists in the body's maintenance of acid and alkaline balance.  Arrowroot only thrives on tidal flats where the sea minerals are available. Its known health-building properties may be due to trace minerals from the sea, as well as from the calcium it gets from the sea water. Arrowroot is simply the dried and powdered root.

Sunflower lecithin:  Allergy-free, GRAS approved, non-GM emulsifier.  You can read more here.  Lecithin is a complex mixture of fatty acids, choline and inositol, which are part of the B complex vitamins, and phosphorus. It also contains tiny amounts of vitamin E and K, and the mineral zinc.  Although not widely known, lecithin has been used to control and kill the herpes virus. Lecithin is also an anti-oxidant, helping to keep fats from going rancid (going rancid itself in the process, however).

Lecithin is often taken as a dietary supplement, since it contains the B vitamin choline. Lecithin is also an antioxidant.

You ingest lecithin, which goes INSIDE the body and causes rancid oil, toxic oils and bad oils (such as gasoline and hydrocarbons) to be removed from your body, through stools, thus reducing the toxins built up over the lifespan. It should be noted that the body simply has no means of ridding hydrocarbons out of the body except with the use of a fat emulsifier, such as lecithin.

Peppermint EO: Peppermint is a cross between watermint and spearmint.  It contains numerous minerals and nutrients including manganese, iron, magnesium, calcium, folate, potassium, and copper. It also contains omega-3 fatty acids, Vitamin A and Vitamin C.  Due to its antiseptic properties, peppermint is useful for dental care. It removes bad breath and helps teeth and gums deal with germs. It is also useful for treating toothaches and providing pain relief.

What we think we become.
#10 of 23 Old 05-02-2011, 08:52 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by His Own View Post

Actually, all you need from the above recipe is the SOAP.  Yep, many of us have  been brushing with low-glycerin soap for several years now, and my teeth are cleaner and whiter than they have ever been.  My dental hygienist is always amazed at how clean my teeth are when I go in for a cleaning and check-up.

Dr. Bronner's works fine, as do many plain, non-detergent bar soaps.  You can buy special shreds of tooth soap on-line.  I did this at first to check it out, but I have learned that you don't need to spend all that money.  A good, natural bar of plain old soap works just great.  You want to avoid fragrances and added materials, and you especially want to avoid added glycerin, as that coats your teeth, making them feel slick, but preventing them from getting really clean.

The taste of soap makes me gag! But I bought a bar of peppermint Dr. Bronners and I'm going to give it another shot. We'll see if I can tolerate it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by edensong View Post

Regular toothpaste is too sweet for me and the soap versions make me gag.  lol  So, here's what I make -- works great for sensitive teeth, too.

Toothpaste

2 parts aloe vera gel

1 part arrowroot powder

peppermint EO

This sounds great! I can't wait to try it! Would it work without the sunflower lecithin? It's the only ingredient I don't have. 

#11 of 23 Old 05-02-2011, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamiPolizzi View Post

This sounds great! I can't wait to try it! Would it work without the sunflower lecithin? It's the only ingredient I don't have. 

Give it a try.  The purpose of the lecithin is emulsification.  If it separates without it, then just stir before use.

If you don't mind using soy lecithin, that would work.  I just prefer not consuming soy.

What we think we become.
#12 of 23 Old 05-13-2011, 10:12 PM

I think I will get some arrowroot powder and give this a try! I usually use  bakingsoda, aloe and coconut oil but would like to try something new and I think you found it for me. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by edensong View Post

Toothpaste

2 parts aloe vera gel

1 part arrowroot powder

peppermint EO

Its consistency is exactly like toothpaste.  It's pure white until the lecithin is added, which changes the color to a tad off-white, but still very appealing.  And the best part is that it works great!!!!

Here's why I used the above ingredients:

Aloe vera gel:  Aloe is particularly known for its penetrating capacity to reach deeper layers of the dermis when applied topically. It has strong antiseptic properties being bactericidal, fungicidal and virucidal. It promotes cell growth. It is neurologically calming and also acts as a detoxifying agent.

The dental uses of Aloe Vera are multiple. It is extremely helpful in the treatment of gum disease - gingivitis and periodontitis. It reduces swelling of the soft tissues and consequently this reduces the bleeding of the gums. It is powerfully antiseptic in gum pockets where normal cleaning is difficult. Its antifungal properties help greatly in the problem of denture stomatitis, ie. red and sore mucous membranes which are permanently covered by a denture - this is a form of thrush. Cracked and split corners of the mouth are also subject to fungal infection and this can be cured by aloe. Its antiviral properties help in the treatment of cold sores (Herpes Simplex) and shingles (Herpes Zoster). It is a powerful healing promoter and when inserted into extraction sockets is very beneficial. It can be used in any surgical wound. It has a use in root canal treatment as a sedative dressing, healing promoter and file lubricant.

Extra virgin coconut oil: Coconut oil destroys bacteria that cause bad breath, tooth decay and gum disease.  Because coconut oil is a safe and natural food, you won't have to worry about toxicity or poison each time you brush your teeth. It alleviates tenderness, redness, sores or bleeding of the gums.  It improves absorption of minerals including calcium and magnesium, thus whitening and strengthening teeth.  (You might also read up on "oil pulling" with coconut oil.)

Arrowroot powder: It's a gentle, neutral, non-abrasive natural ingredient with wound-healing properties.  The only starch product with a calcium ash, arrowroot assists in the body's maintenance of acid and alkaline balance.  Arrowroot only thrives on tidal flats where the sea minerals are available. Its known health-building properties may be due to trace minerals from the sea, as well as from the calcium it gets from the sea water. Arrowroot is simply the dried and powdered root.

Sunflower lecithin:  Allergy-free, GRAS approved, non-GM emulsifier.  You can read more here.  Lecithin is a complex mixture of fatty acids, choline and inositol, which are part of the B complex vitamins, and phosphorus. It also contains tiny amounts of vitamin E and K, and the mineral zinc.  Although not widely known, lecithin has been used to control and kill the herpes virus. Lecithin is also an anti-oxidant, helping to keep fats from going rancid (going rancid itself in the process, however).

Lecithin is often taken as a dietary supplement, since it contains the B vitamin choline. Lecithin is also an antioxidant.

You ingest lecithin, which goes INSIDE the body and causes rancid oil, toxic oils and bad oils (such as gasoline and hydrocarbons) to be removed from your body, through stools, thus reducing the toxins built up over the lifespan. It should be noted that the body simply has no means of ridding hydrocarbons out of the body except with the use of a fat emulsifier, such as lecithin.

Peppermint EO: Peppermint is a cross between watermint and spearmint.  It contains numerous minerals and nutrients including manganese, iron, magnesium, calcium, folate, potassium, and copper. It also contains omega-3 fatty acids, Vitamin A and Vitamin C.  Due to its antiseptic properties, peppermint is useful for dental care. It removes bad breath and helps teeth and gums deal with germs. It is also useful for treating toothaches and providing pain relief.

be good family...

#13 of 23 Old 05-15-2011, 04:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Originally Posted by His Own View Post

Okay, maybe I just assumed I couldn't stand the taste of soap because I couldn't stand the taste of the last toothpaste I made, which had soap in it. I decided to buy a bar of peppermint dr. bronners, just to see how it goes. So far it's worked great! The taste doesn't bother me at all. I don't like the soapy after taste, but as long as I use my mouthwash afterward it's not a problem. Yay! :)

#14 of 23 Old 05-16-2011, 12:42 PM

I think you'll like it, mamayogibear.

What we think we become.
#15 of 23 Old 05-20-2011, 08:42 PM

Edensong - I love the sound of your toothpaste! I have a few questions, if you don't mind...

1) How much do you make at a time?

2) How quickly does it "go bad"? What does "go bad" look like in this case?

3) Do you have any children that use it?

4) What do you store it in? How do you apply it?

5) For the purposes of just trying it out, would it work to mix up a tiny bit without the arrowroot powder and lecithin? I have potato flour, which is a thickener like arrowroot powder in cooking, but probably lacks the other beneficial qualities of arrowroot powder. I would get the arrowroot powder before making a "real" batch, if the test went over well with my family. I understand the lecithin issue and would be able to test the toothpaste without it and would get it if it needed a lot of mixing.

Thanks! :)

ETA: I have used Dr. Bronner's mild baby (unscented) liquid soap (one drop on wet toothbrush) for teeth-brushing after oil-pulling. It worked well for removing all the oil and I wasn't grossed out by the soap, but it wasn't particularly enticing. I had STRONG detox effects from oil-pulling with VCO and switched to unrefined sesame oil. That worked much, much better for me. Sesame oil is grounding, which is what I needed, and coconut oil is not. If one doesn't work well for you, try the other.

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

#16 of 23 Old 05-24-2011, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnysandiegan View Post

Edensong - I love the sound of your toothpaste! I have a few questions, if you don't mind...

1) How much do you make at a time?

2) How quickly does it "go bad"? What does "go bad" look like in this case?

3) Do you have any children that use it?

4) What do you store it in? How do you apply it?

5) For the purposes of just trying it out, would it work to mix up a tiny bit without the arrowroot powder and lecithin? I have potato flour, which is a thickener like arrowroot powder in cooking, but probably lacks the other beneficial qualities of arrowroot powder. I would get the arrowroot powder before making a "real" batch, if the test went over well with my family. I understand the lecithin issue and would be able to test the toothpaste without it and would get it if it needed a lot of mixing.

Thanks! :)

ETA: I have used Dr. Bronner's mild baby (unscented) liquid soap (one drop on wet toothbrush) for teeth-brushing after oil-pulling. It worked well for removing all the oil and I wasn't grossed out by the soap, but it wasn't particularly enticing. I had STRONG detox effects from oil-pulling with VCO and switched to unrefined sesame oil. That worked much, much better for me. Sesame oil is grounding, which is what I needed, and coconut oil is not. If one doesn't work well for you, try the other.

Hi sunny,

Let's see if I can answer your questions.  :)

I make a 2 oz batch and it doesn't go bad.  The aloe vera gel has natural preservatives and since you aren't adding water, there is no need for any additional preservatives.  My kids are grown, but I do have friends with children that use it.  I put it in a airless bottle, but you could put it in a lotion dispenser.  Then I dispense it similar to how it's dispensed from a tube of toothpaste -- a squirt or two.

It certainly wouldn't hurt to experiment with the sesame oil, potato flour and without the lecithin!  Good luck!

What we think we become.
#17 of 23 Old 05-24-2011, 05:01 PM

Thanks so much! I look forward to playing scientist soon... winky.gif

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

#18 of 23 Old 05-31-2011, 02:53 PM

I have coconut oil, peppermint EO, aloe vera gel (Aloe Life brand or a fresh aloe plant leaf), and we just found arrowroot powder yesterday. We got the rest of the jar in the bulk spice area of our local hfs...a whopping 5 cents worth. I'll base all other measurements off this one. LOL

I cannot find sunflower lecithin anywhere locally. Soy lecithin is easy to find, but I'm not a fan of soy. Where do you buy sunflower lecithin???

#19 of 23 Old 06-01-2011, 11:57 AM

Not a fan of soy either.  I buy my sunflower lecithin online -- just google it and you'll find a few suppliers.  Since it only requires a smidge, you can omit it, if you don't mind stirring it, should it separate.

What we think we become.
#20 of 23 Old 08-07-2011, 09:08 PM

I made Edensong's toothpaste today in a tiny amount (1/2 teaspoon was my "part") and used 4 drops of peppermint EO. LOVELY!!!! Thank you so much for sharing!!!!  love.gif

#21 of 23 Old 08-09-2011, 09:45 AM

i've been brushing with water for the past week and i tell ya my teeth have never felt so clean. like there's nothing coating them n they're free to do what they're meant to do.

#22 of 23 Old 08-10-2011, 02:33 PM

sunnysandiegan, so glad you like it!

What we think we become.
#23 of 23 Old 04-04-2013, 01:46 PM

I love your recipe (and the well thought out reasons for selecting the ingredients) but won't the aloe gel go rancid? Fresh aloe gel has to be used right away, and even the store bought aloe has to be refigerated after opening...so what is keeping the aloe gel in this recipe from going bad? Can it be omitted?

Tags
Toothpaste Clean Gentle Care Sls Free Anticavity Whitening Fennel 5 2 Oz From Toms Of Maine , Copernicus Toothpaste Kit , Toms Of Maine Whole Care Anticavity Tartar Control Plus Whitening Fluoride Toothpaste Peppermint , Weleda Childrens Tooth Gel 1 78 Oz Toothpaste

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page