Question about Diva cup - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 03-22-2011, 06:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Not sure this is the right forum... 

I'm looking for advice about the Diva cup. I really want it to work for me because I like the idea of it (when it works) & it cost a lot.

This is the 3rd cycle that I've tried using it. Yesterday I used it successfully during the day. In the afternoon it seemed to be slipping a bit & that was irritating. But beyond that, at the end of the day I just kind of felt irritated & when I took it out to empty I just couldn't bring myself to even try putting it back in. It wasn't painful, just... I don't know... irritated or tired or something. 

I've put it back in this morning. No problems. So we'll see.

Anyone else feel like they needed to just give it a break at the end of the day? Does it get better? I know I've been really bad about remembering to do kegels since giving birth 2 years ago, so I'm hoping that if I can do them the slippage won't be as much of a problem. But I don't know what would help with the discomfort at the end of the day.

Thanks for any advice!

ETA: Not sure if this is meant to be... dropped my cup in my toilet as I was emptying last night! Ick!

Mama to my little busy bee. 

#2 of 7 Old 03-23-2011, 07:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Could it be the stem irritating you?  If it's too long and rubbing a bit, it would be uncomfortable after a while.  You can trim it right down to the cup itself.

Me treehugger.gif+ Him eat.gif + DD flower.gif + DSS1 guitar.gif + DSS2 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif

#3 of 7 Old 03-23-2011, 11:18 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainbowTurtle View Post

Could it be the stem irritating you?  If it's too long and rubbing a bit, it would be uncomfortable after a while.  You can trim it right down to the cup itself.

I cut the stem down quite a bit (though I may just cut it all off, as you suggest). But the discomfort is more generalized than that & hard to describe... As if the whole canal (sorry, TMI) is irritated or maybe like the muscles just want to completely relax ... It just feels good to take it out at the end of the day (which I may just give into & get some good cloth pads for nighttime & call it a day).

#4 of 7 Old 03-30-2011, 01:29 PM

I wonder if you have it inserted correctly.  When mine is in right, I don't feel it at all.  The only time I've had irritation (like rawness) was when I was removing it too often.  The constant removing & re-inserting was causing the irritation.  Maybe you could try leaving it in longer?  I did notice that after a few cycles, it got easier to insert.  The trick I've had to get used to it to kind of angle it towards your back, not straight up.  It says this in the instructions, but it took me awhile to figure out.  Try re-reading the insertion instructions.  It doesn't go straight up like a tampon.  Hope that helps!

Erin - mama to my happy little guy, born April 09  kewl.gif

and my sweet baby, born July 12  babygirl.gif

#5 of 7 Old 03-31-2011, 04:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by blumooned View Post

I wonder if you have it inserted correctly.  When mine is in right, I don't feel it at all.  The only time I've had irritation (like rawness) was when I was removing it too often.  The constant removing & re-inserting was causing the irritation.  Maybe you could try leaving it in longer?  I did notice that after a few cycles, it got easier to insert.  The trick I've had to get used to it to kind of angle it towards your back, not straight up.  It says this in the instructions, but it took me awhile to figure out.  Try re-reading the insertion instructions.  It doesn't go straight up like a tampon.  Hope that helps!

This could definitely be the case. But I also got a yeast infection (& I'm wondering if it's related) so I'm feeling like I'm back to square one figuring out what's going to be the best solution...

#6 of 7 Old 03-31-2011, 04:35 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

If you have a yeast infection whioe using the Diva I would wash it in vinigar to kill any yeasty beasties on it or you will just reinfect yourself. Also I wonder if you are usig the correct size? When wearing mine I tend to forget about it as I really can not feel it.

#7 of 7 Old 04-09-2011, 08:51 AM

Sorry, I'm late to the party! Maybe I can offer advice about your next go round with the cup.

The first thing I thought was that you were wearing the wrong size. Not the wrong size Diva, but the wrong size cup. Diva is, from what I read, the longest of the menstrual cups. Some women cannot stand the way it feels because it is too long and the bottom rubs the vaginal wall in an uncomfortable way every time you change position.

Before I was comfortable with the idea of cutting off the entire stem and filing down the bottom, I used some great advice and turned the cup inside out. I used it this way for my entire first cycle with the cup and it worked perfectly. Doing this will shorten the cup a bit.

http://community.livejournal.com/menstrual_cups/1285963.html - this link may actually contain way too much information about cup brands and sizes! That community, though, is like the church of the menstrual cup. I suggest digging around there if you are committed to making the cup work. Between all the posters there, they've tried everything.

I can certainly see how the Diva Cup could be causing chafing or something like it. I hope you can get it sorted out! I never expected it, but I became one of those crazy cup ladies and can't imagine ever going back.

Perpetually TTC #1.  Let's go, Lightning!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page