aluminum free deoderant that WORKS?? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 44 Old 08-26-2011, 06:08 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:

Originally Posted by maxwill129 View Post

I really like Bubble and Bee Organics Pit Putty:  http://www.bubbleandbee.com/servlet/the-111/Geranium-Lime-%27Pit-Putty/Detail 

She has a couple of different types of deoderants and if you buy one and don't like it you can "trade it in" for another one.

Another vote for Bubble & Bee here!  I've tried several of her deodorants and found a couple that I liked but didn't *love*...until she came out with her new deodorant creams...LOVE them!  Jasmint is my fave scent...DH uses the Super Pit Putty scent in the cream and it smells yummy on him!  This stuff works so well for us...better than the conventional toxin-filled deodorants we used to use!  joy.gif

Adoring wife to my DH since 9/04, SAHM to biggrinbounce.gifDS(9/07)
stork-suprise.gif due 2/3/2011joy.gif
#32 of 44 Old 08-26-2011, 07:00 AM

I've been using Tom's lemongrass scented. It is so nice and really works better than some of the other scents.

Me afro.jpg reading.gif Wife and Mom to modifiedartist.gif cat.gifdog2.gif.
#33 of 44 Old 08-29-2011, 05:41 PM

I made my own deodorant (two versions) and I also adapted a Kiss My Face liquid rock for better effectiveness.

I researched homemade recipes for awhile and was purposely avoiding baking soda recipes. I ended up making my own recipe that is inspired by the angry chicken's second version and crunchy betty's second version. The first time I made it, I used lemongrass EO, homemade vanilla extract (organic vanilla bean infused vodka), lavender EO, and rosemary EO. It didn't firm up enough, but it works very well! I remelted it in order to add more beeswax and then added more EOs once cool again. Still works very effectively, but is still not quite firm enough for my tastes.

After I remelted the first attempt, I made a second batch and altered my recipe a bit further with portions and used clary sage EO instead of rosemary EO. This version is not as effective as the other. It works under ordinary circumstances, but not on seriously physically active and stressful days. I used version one (rosemary EO) under one arm and version two (clary sage EO) under the other arm for a couple days. The one day of traveling (2 cars and 2 planes and 3 airports) from 7 am to 9 pm is the only day the second version failed.

The Kiss My Face liquid rock roll-on (unscented) worked okay under ordinary circumstances, but left me smelling a bit stale by the day's end. Not as effective as the Naturally Fresh crystal roll-on (liquid) even. I put one drop of ylang-ylang complete EO (Nature's Gift) and a few drops of sweet orange wildcrafted EO (Camden-Grey) on the top of the roller ball (one drop at a time and moved it around with a wood skewer in-between drops). That upped the effectiveness exponentially AND turned it into quite the aphrodisiac!!!  luxlove.gif

FWIW, I wouldn't recommend the orange EO deo for a day on the beach or at the pool. Citrus oils can cause photosensitivity.

FYI: I purposely used lemongrass EO in my homemade deos because we were traveling to mosquito-prone areas and I wanted the deo to do double-duty in order to reduce the quantity of items I needed to bring. I am happy to report I have zero mosquito bites!!! (I am usually the sole target in a group. This time, however, half the people in our group got bug bites and I have NONE!!! So excited!!!) I included lavender EO to repel other flying insects and that worked, as well. No bugs bothered me, which is truly a first in the areas we were visiting! love.gif

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

#34 of 44 Old 08-29-2011, 06:07 PM

After I shave the crystal hurts my armpits lots... Does the other stuff hurt too or not at all? I'm so sensitive! I bought Tom's in winter and while I don't sweat much, I smell very well and notice odor right away and think I stink with TOms!

#35 of 44 Old 09-08-2011, 09:05 AM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)

QUESTION:

So I made my deodorant with equal parts corn starch and baking soda, with enough coconut oil to make it not a powder, and a little peppermint essential oil for a nice scent.

I used an old container from store bought stick deodorant.

On one hand, I like it. It seems to be working just fine. I think I slightly over did the peppermint, but minty is fine.

However, it's sorta gooey. I feel like I smear it on. Is that just part of the deal, or is there a way to tweak this project?

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

#36 of 44 Old 09-08-2011, 10:13 AM

I bought Now Foods, Long-Lasting Deodorant Cream from iherb and I  can say this is the best natural-aluminum free deodorant I've ever used. No underarm odor all day long. I really recommend it to everybody.

#37 of 44 Old 09-09-2011, 12:16 PM

I tried Toms and it stings terribly. I've been using Jason which is working well, but I'd rather make my own. Epic fail on the first thing of homemade deodorant... I did the coconut oil, baking soda and cornstarch thing and it hurt so bad!!! And now I have burns on my armpits...  Anyone else have this or am I just 'special'...

#38 of 44 Old 09-09-2011, 10:23 PM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juju09 View Post
Epic fail on the first thing of homemade deodorant... I did the coconut oil, baking soda and cornstarch thing and it hurt so bad!!! And now I have burns on my armpits...  Anyone else have this or am I just 'special'...

no problems like that here -- other the the schmear on - goo factor, it's working great. No odor even at the end of the day, and my pits are soft and moisturized.

Had you just shaved? Are you do have sensitivities to any of the ingredients?

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

#39 of 44 Old 09-10-2011, 03:49 PM

I'm not sensitive to any of the ingredients as far as I know...  The one that burned was really grainy.  I read on one place that the coconut oil should be a lot less than the cornstarch and baking soda.  I think that was the problem, the grains were tearing up my skin!  I added more coconut oil and the grains went away.  It was pretty soupy though since it's hot out and we only have AC in the living room, so I put it in the fridge.  I put a little on awhile ago and so far it seems okay.  So hopefully that was the problem.  I'm waiting for my shea and cocoa butter so I can try the cream stick kind.  That one sounds heavenly, but we'll see.

Since it's in the fridge, it went on wet, but it dried fairly quickly and I didn't feel like I was smearing when I applied it.

#40 of 44 Old 09-10-2011, 06:29 PM

If you live near a Trader Joes, I suggest the Trader Joes Unscented Deodorant with Cotton. It's cheap, and it works! 

#41 of 44 Old 09-14-2011, 08:53 PM

I love Tom's of Maine Long Lasting 24 hour protection, it works great!

#42 of 44 Old 10-22-2012, 03:50 PM

Does anyone else just dust with baking soda?

Is there anything that I should be concerned about doing this?

I use Dove anti-persp, which is the lowest aluminum formula I can find on the shelves, but I only use it once or twice per week.  In between I dust with baking soda.

Loving mother, Devoted Wife
#43 of 44 Old 10-22-2012, 05:05 PM

This is the only aluminum free deo that has ever worked for me. Also it is vegan and comes in many awesome scents. http://www.etsy.com/shop/FlameWorks?section_id=5282436

Me femalesling.GIF, Hubby dh_malesling.GIF, Stepgrl hearts.gif (11), DS Born 4-15-13 babyboy.gif

My biz: Sojourn Curiosities

#44 of 44 Old 08-04-2014, 05:22 PM

Thumbs up I use Tori's natural deodorant

Hello All! I have been using Tori's natural deodorant. I saw it at a shop in Kent, CT. It doesn't have aluminum or parabens and has worked great for me so far. Kind of sounds like Tom's. Maybe they are related? Anyways, I love the scents they offer and it has worked well for me. Worth giving a try. http://www.lovetoris.com

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page