aluminum free deoderant that WORKS?? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 43 Old 03-22-2011, 10:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I don't want aluminum sneakin' in my pores and giving me breast cancer. So mainstream deoderant and I are not cool with each other. I'm using Tom's brand almunium-free natural deodorant right now but unfortunately now that the weather is getting warmer I've found that it just doesn't work as well as the other stuff and my shirts stink under the arms. Please enlighten me about an aluminum-free deodorant or antiperspirant that actually works!!

Mothering my sweet preschool boy luxlove.gif and my new arrival bfinfant.gif

#2 of 43 Old 03-23-2011, 10:27 AM

On another thread in this forum someone(s) posted they wipe their underarms with ACV, then rub in coconut oil (possibly mixed with essential oils) and then dust with cornstarch.  I'd tried lots of different aluminum free deoderants but didn't find any that worked.  I've been using the ACV/coconut oil method for ~3 weeks now and its working fabulously for me.  I'd dare say better than regular deoderant with aluminum.  I mix a little tea tree oil in with the coconut oil.  I also mix a little witchhazel with the ACV. 

SAHM to tiphat.gif  & modifiedartist.gif
#3 of 43 Old 03-23-2011, 10:42 AM

I use Toms and have been happy with it. I see Secret just came out with a natural mineral type. Haven't tried it, but it might be something to check out.

Marcy, WAHM to Alyssa (2/4/04) and Kaitlyn (6/5/06) plus cat.gifcat.gifdog2.gifdog2.gif
#4 of 43 Old 03-24-2011, 08:52 PM

Okay, since we are talking about under arms...I'm assuming this wont be considered "TMI" lol... I never really had to worry about stinky pits, but for some reason, since giving birth to my second child I have had pretty stinky under arms and no matter what I tried, nothing  worked...that is until I found Crystal Body Deodorant! I swear by this stuff. It is not an antiperspirant, but it works SO well for keeping odor under control. I LOVE this stuff and it lasts forever!! Seriously, just try it.

winner.jpgbftoddler.gif2ndtri.gif Catholic Mama to Liam, Rowan and one on the way! Wife to an amazing man. familybed1.gif blogging.jpg

#5 of 43 Old 03-24-2011, 09:39 PM

My dad has been using one of those rocks for a year with success. My mom uses Desert Essence deodorant, and I just ordered some for myself. She uses the roll-on and I got the stick.

http://www.azurestandard.com/shop/product/1659/  Sold elsewhere than this site

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).
#6 of 43 Old 03-24-2011, 11:00 PM

I tried the Tom's a long time ago and it made me break out.

I use the Crystal Body Deodorant now. It definitely works for smells. Doesn't help with sweat though. I put it on after a shower and it works for at least 24 hours. Also, the actual crystal lasts a very long time so it ends up being a good deal. I would recommend trying it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplemamaturtle5 View Post

Okay, since we are talking about under arms...I'm assuming this wont be considered "TMI" lol... I never really had to worry about stinky pits, but for some reason, since giving birth to my second child I have had pretty stinky under arms and no matter what I tried, nothing  worked...that is until I found Crystal Body Deodorant! I swear by this stuff. It is not an antiperspirant, but it works SO well for keeping odor under control. I LOVE this stuff and it lasts forever!! Seriously, just try it.

I am a 40 year old unschooling, belly dancing, artist-mama of one almost 8 year old. I just had brain surgery and blogging.jpg about it a bit because it's just so surreal.
#7 of 43 Old 03-24-2011, 11:26 PM

www.benedetta.com

their lavender deodorant is EXPENSIVE but it works better than anything else i've ever tried, the crystal included. it's one of those things that i shell the money out for because it's important and it works.

eh. who needs a signature?
#8 of 43 Old 03-24-2011, 11:36 PM

You get a stink from bacteria back up so get rid of the bacteria get rid of the stink.

It's kind of harsh but it works.  You can try hibiclens. I wash with this once or twice a week and I don't use anything else.  Its just a medical grade soap.

#9 of 43 Old 03-25-2011, 03:34 AM

I sweat a lot underarms and am quick to get stinky. I haven't used anti-persperants in about 8 years, but I feel like I've used every aluminum-free natural deodorant out there and I still stink by the end of the day. After checking out the commercial shelves for a while looking for something stronger but still aluminum-free I was disgusted that I can't find ANY deodorant (meaning non anti-persperant) for women anymore- it's ALL anti-persperant!!

I've taken to using DH's Old Spice deodorant (we shop together to get the most gender-neutral scent). I love it and it works.

I also picked up this for my gym bag and I like it too. Expensive, but it smells nice and actually works.

Laurie, wife to guitar.gifDH (Aug/04), mom tobikenew.gifDS1 (Nov/05) and bfinfant.gifDS2 (June/12).

#10 of 43 Old 03-25-2011, 11:15 AM

the benedetta is made with grape alcohol, which kills the bacteria. it also dries nicely (unlike the tom's which always left me sticky and then chaffing) and has a lavender scent that is strong at first but fades nicely.

okay, i promise i'll stop talking about it now, i was just so happy to find something that worked and was aluminum free that i tend to go on and on about it. redface.gif

eh. who needs a signature?
#11 of 43 Old 03-25-2011, 11:25 AM

I have tried dozens of natural deodorants.  Literally dozens.  I can't tell you how many I've thrown away because they never work.  I'm not much of a sweater- it's the odor that gets me.  I have a really strong sense of smell, and even if others can't smell it (my DH claims I don't smell) I can.  The only one I like is the Arm and Hammer Essentials.  It has baking soda in it and is aluminum and paraben free.  The scented one has a really clean-smelling fragrance that I like.  Even the unscented one is better than any other I've tried.  I just got it at the grocery store after seeing someone on MDC recommend it about a year ago.

I like the PP who suggested Hibiclens.  We have some left over from my DH's shoulder surgery (he had to wash his armpit with it the night before).  I might try that!

#12 of 43 Old 03-25-2011, 11:37 AM

just subbing. Dh is sweaty and stinky at times, as I am, especially with thwarm weather coming, hopefully soon. Keep the ideas coming!!

Me and Dh partners.gif, Dd1bouncy.gif  Dd2dust.gif,Ds1joy.gif, 2flowerkitty.gif, 2hamster.jpgand lots of goldfish.gif

#13 of 43 Old 03-25-2011, 02:34 PM

Right now I'm using the Arm & Hammer Essentials and liking it. I've tried many different brands of natural deoderants and one thing I've noticed with pretty much all of them is that they'll work ok at first, then for some reason I start getting stinky after about a month of using them. So I think I just need to start rotating through a few different brands at a time.

Trish~mama to Kaelie 5/03 and Amelia 12/13, surro mama to Aidan 2/08 & Ellyss 6/09, 

#14 of 43 Old 03-28-2011, 06:55 AM

I have been using Lush aromaco deodorant bar for quite awhile now, followed with a dusting of Lush coconut powder.  The combination works well and while I do still sweat (as we all should!), I definitely don't smell by the end of the day.  I often get complimented that I smell good.  

Then, a few weeks ago some friends and I got together to make our own deodorant.  It was fun and surprisingly easy and I LOVE how this stuff smells and how well it works.  We used this recipe and made mini-muffin sized pucks.  The only thing I would do differently next time is use regular size muffin tins, or even better, a large square brownie pan that I could then cut into pieces about the size of a bar of soap.

Seriously, this stuff is delicious and works so well!  I think the key when switching to a non-chemical deodorant is to go deodorant-free for several weeks in between.  I know, I know.  But a friend's doctor told her that chemical deodorants actually make your body sweat much more than it needs to - since it is trying to do exactly what the deodorant is trying to stop - sweat.  So if you give yourself a break for two weeks or so, your body realizes it actually needs to sweat less.  Then, when you make the switch, you do so sweating less than you would if you switched cold turkey.

treehugger.gif
#15 of 43 Old 04-03-2011, 07:38 PM

I really like Bubble and Bee Organics Pit Putty:  http://www.bubbleandbee.com/servlet/the-111/Geranium-Lime-%27Pit-Putty/Detail 

She has a couple of different types of deoderants and if you buy one and don't like it you can "trade it in" for another one.

#16 of 43 Old 05-11-2011, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laneysprout View Post

I have been using Lush aromaco deodorant bar for quite awhile now, followed with a dusting of Lush coconut powder.  The combination works well and while I do still sweat (as we all should!), I definitely don't smell by the end of the day.  I often get complimented that I smell good.  

Then, a few weeks ago some friends and I got together to make our own deodorant.  It was fun and surprisingly easy and I LOVE how this stuff smells and how well it works.  We used this recipe and made mini-muffin sized pucks.  The only thing I would do differently next time is use regular size muffin tins, or even better, a large square brownie pan that I could then cut into pieces about the size of a bar of soap.

Seriously, this stuff is delicious and works so well!  I think the key when switching to a non-chemical deodorant is to go deodorant-free for several weeks in between.  I know, I know.  But a friend's doctor told her that chemical deodorants actually make your body sweat much more than it needs to - since it is trying to do exactly what the deodorant is trying to stop - sweat.  So if you give yourself a break for two weeks or so, your body realizes it actually needs to sweat less.  Then, when you make the switch, you do so sweating less than you would if you switched cold turkey.

I just made a similar deodorant a few days ago and I'm so amazed at how well it works!  Much better than the many, many natural ones I've tried.  The recipe I used was just 1/4 cup each of baking soda and corn starch and then add coconut oil until you get the consistency you want.  I made mine a bit more creamy than solid, but it goes on nice and feels good and has that slight coconut smell of the refined coconut oil.  I have some refined coconut oil too and I'm gonna make another batch with that and a touch of grapefruit essential oil.  I cannot believe how well this stuff works!  I probably won't ever buy deodorant again.  :)

Jayne, sewing up a storm mama to ds1 9/03, ds2 2/09, and 2 sweet furbabies.

#17 of 43 Old 05-12-2011, 11:51 AM

I've been using Tom's lavender scented. At first it worked great but, me too, the weathers getting hotter and I stink!! Honestly though no deodarant has really worked for me. Hope to get some good ideas from this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dairy2dogs View Post

On another thread in this forum someone(s) posted they wipe their underarms with ACV, then rub in coconut oil (possibly mixed with essential oils) and then dust with cornstarch.  I'd tried lots of different aluminum free deoderants but didn't find any that worked.  I've been using the ACV/coconut oil method for ~3 weeks now and its working fabulously for me.  I'd dare say better than regular deoderant with aluminum.  I mix a little tea tree oil in with the coconut oil.  I also mix a little witchhazel with the ACV. 

What is ACV? I want to try this

#18 of 43 Old 05-13-2011, 09:45 PM

I have used the crystal in the past and still use it on occassion. If I know I will be doing something super sweaty like cycling to school or a job interview, I will spray with ACV and rub in a combo of bentonite clay and coconut oil. It works amazingly for me. I tried using baking soda like that but ended up with a rash after a few days. Also, the stink doesn't just come from bacteria, sweat turns into butyric acid once exposed to air if it doesn't dry off. So having something that absorbs it like clay or baking soda prevents that additional stink.

be good family...

#19 of 43 Old 06-17-2011, 11:21 AM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

I've used the crystal before with mixed results since DS was born. OP, which Tom's are you using? I've tried the regular stick & it didn't work but I've currently been using Tom's "crystal confidence" which is a liquid roll-on -- It works great & is more convenient than the actual crystal I was using before. But I haven't been able to find it everywhere. This one.

Mama to my little busy bee. 

#20 of 43 Old 06-17-2011, 11:36 AM
2xy

I use homemade deodorant....coconut oil, baking soda, cornstarch. It doesn't keep you from sweating, but it keeps you from stinking.

maciascl likes this.
#21 of 43 Old 06-24-2011, 01:42 PM

I have a variety of "natural" deodorants: Tom's stick (honeysuckle rose), Naturally Fresh crystal rock, Naturally Fresh crystal roll-on, Weleda sage spray, another brand (?) crystal rock (DH is using it), and two unopened deodorants (Tom's roll-on - wild garden, I think - and another brand? of lavender stick). I have read here at MDC about using any body spray that is alcohol based and tried that, too. OUCH!!!!

I did a test last weekend when we were headed out of town on a road trip. I was just going to be with my family in the car (with lots of stops - 5 hours with sightseeing) and would have time to shower before a fancy dinner. I used the Naturally Fresh rock under one arm and the Naturally Fresh roll-on under the other arm. My favorite for everyday use has been the NF roll-on. The rock requires a tiny bit more effort (rinsing before, during, and after use) and I would grab the roll-on far more often. The crystal rock underarm smelled the same as when I applied it early that morning...fresh and clean. The crystal roll-on underarm had a stale and very slightly odorous scent. No one else could smell anything (only I could) and I wouldn't have been bothered by it except we were dressing up for a fancy dinner.

I do not care for the Tom's stick at all. It doesn't work for anything except if I am just walking my daughter to school in the morning and plan to shower at some later point in the day. It has a nice scent and I can apply it upon rising in the morning without showering first, but it has a VERY limited time frame. Any time I apply it fresh out of the shower, I smell icky within a couple hours. I won't buy it again and am struggling to finish this one off. I plan to reuse the container for a homemade deodorant.

The Weleda sage spray smells AMAZING!!! Yummy!!! It burns under my arms, but DH has been using it. I found it for $2 or less at a local discount store. The back label on the glass spray bottle was missing. I will reuse this bottle in my homemade concoctions once DH uses up the contents. The front label will peel off easily for my own.

The Tom's roll-on is a small size and will become a travel deodorant, if it works well. I haven't tried it, yet.

I found the lavender scented stick (natural brand, but I forget the name) at the same discount store as the Weleda for $1.69. I'm hoping it works better than the Tom's stick. Ultimately, someone will use it and I'll reuse the container. (I originally got it for DD, age 10, since she likes lavender and is likely to start needing deodorant sooner versus later. However, I would rather just start her with homemade and stick to that.)

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

#22 of 43 Old 06-26-2011, 04:20 PM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I use the Soapwalla version from etsy. It is wonderful, read about it on Apartment Therapy a few years ago. I actually give it as gifts and have converted several people. 

#23 of 43 Old 06-26-2011, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2xy View Post

I use homemade deodorant....coconut oil, baking soda, cornstarch. It doesn't keep you from sweating, but it keeps you from stinking.

I make this, too, but I add a few drops of Tea Tree Oil. I've been using it for months, and I love it. I've found that I don't sweat nearly as much in general, and the coconut oil makes my skin super soft!

ribboncesarean.gif 2/4/2009.  hbac.gif 9/6/2011!

#24 of 43 Old 07-02-2011, 06:13 PM

I use natural deodorent as well. I mix equal parts of coconut oil, cornstarch and baking soda. I swear by it, it doesn't stop you from sweating (your body needs to sweat) but it does stop you from stinking! Everyone that I have told to try it loves it. I have been using it for about a year and a half and I will NEVER buy store bought deodorent again!

Working from home Mommy. You can too. Ask me how!joy.gif

me loveeyes.gif & she surf.gifpartners.gif  TTC one of these makebabe.gif Proud Mommy to two of these energy.gif

#25 of 43 Old 07-03-2011, 07:21 AM

I'm been using coconut oil, baking soda, and cornstarch. I really like it much better than store bought. I've tried Tom's in the past and it didn't work at all. I felt like I stunk not too long after putting it on.

Kathleen SAHM to Jade 10/14/03, Aiden 2/2/06, and Hunter 5/14/09 Wife to Rob 3/28/03
I'm new to: treehugger.gif sewmachine.gif  chicken3.gif
#26 of 43 Old 07-11-2011, 09:03 PM

I want to try this but have a few questions, sorry if it sounds silly but do you have to do anything to the mixture, like let it sit or do you have to do anything special to store it, can it sit on a shelf?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bignerpie View Post

I make this, too, but I add a few drops of Tea Tree Oil. I've been using it for months, and I love it. I've found that I don't sweat nearly as much in general, and the coconut oil makes my skin super soft!

Peace can not be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding.- Albert Einstein

#27 of 43 Old 07-11-2011, 10:08 PM

Nope, just mix it up. Coconut oil melts at 76-ish degrees, so if it's warmer than that in your house, you will need to keep it in the refrigerator. I fill an empty deodorant tube with it and use it just like regular deodorant.

ribboncesarean.gif 2/4/2009.  hbac.gif 9/6/2011!

#28 of 43 Old 07-12-2011, 02:34 PM

Ever since I read a similar thread a couple years ago I've been using Oyin Funk Butter.  I think it's similar to the coconut and baking soda recipes other people mentioned but I find that I just LOVE the Black Cedar and Fig scented one.  I work 12 hr shifts and smell as fresh at the end as I did at the beginning.  Never embarrassed to stretch my arm across a patient's face, either.  :) 

THeir Honey Hemp hair conditioner is the bomb, too. 

#29 of 43 Old 07-12-2011, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soapmom View Post

I use Toms and have been happy with it. I see Secret just came out with a natural mineral type. Haven't tried it, but it might be something to check out.

I use the Secret Natural Mineral...  Looking...:  The active ingredient is aluminum zirconium tetrachlorohydrex gly.  Oh.  Still will use it though...  shy.gif

Blessed mom (11.10) and wife (5.01-met/12.07-married).  HI!  nocirc.gif  namaste.gif  

#30 of 43 Old 07-13-2011, 09:22 PM

I use Arm & Hammer Essentials unscented.  It actually works.  I tried the crystal roll-on, but it just wasn't effective enough for me.

daughter - May 2010

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page