Need a good recipe for lye-free body/face soap! Help! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-25-2011, 02:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi mamas!
I am hoping to make mmy own soap and don't really know where to start. I want to use vegetable based ingredients and fresh herbs or essential oils. Most of the online recipes I have found contain lye and most of the books out there seem to based in lye as well.

Does anyone have any recipes or good resources for lye free soap? Thanks!

hh2.gif Proud Mama to DS1 09/07 ribboncesarean.gif, DD 07/09 hbac.gif, and DS2 06/11 uc.jpg.  Feeling more and more blessed with each day!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2011, 02:38 PM

I've been making my own soap for many years now.  We use lye-based soap because of dd's eczema.  However, you can make your own glycerin-based soap without lye.  I've seen this a lot online and you can probably google it.  I'm sure there are plenty of glycerin soap recipes out there.  Good luck!

Can I ask why you want to make soap without lye?  I'm just curious... or nosy.  winky.gif  If you make your soap correctly, there should be no caustic lye remaining.  The saponification process should convert it.

Old 03-25-2011, 06:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by velochic View Post

I've been making my own soap for many years now.  We use lye-based soap because of dd's eczema.  However, you can make your own glycerin-based soap without lye.  I've seen this a lot online and you can probably google it.  I'm sure there are plenty of glycerin soap recipes out there.  Good luck!

Can I ask why you want to make soap without lye?  I'm just curious... or nosy.  winky.gif  If you make your soap correctly, there should be no caustic lye remaining.  The saponification process should convert it.

I guess I was looking for something a little easier and involving less steps. I also feel a little wonky about having something so caustic around the house with very little, curious children. It would be a rare day that I could spend the time to make the soap without them tugging on my pants, wanting to "help" and generally causing mischief!! So I just thought it would be safer without it!

hh2.gif Proud Mama to DS1 09/07 ribboncesarean.gif, DD 07/09 hbac.gif, and DS2 06/11 uc.jpg.  Feeling more and more blessed with each day!

Old 04-11-2011, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracymom1 View Post

I also feel a little wonky about having something so caustic around the house with very little, curious children. It would be a rare day that I could spend the time to make the soap without them tugging on my pants, wanting to "help" and generally causing mischief!! So I just thought it would be safer without it!

Mee tooooo. Velochic, how do you deal with that?

Also, any good resources for using pine tar in a homemade soap (since you sound wise in the ways of soap...)?

Mom of one child (2008), wife of one husband, tender of dogs, cats and chickens. Household interests: ocean life (kid), bitcoins (husband), simplifying (me).

Old 04-13-2011, 09:10 PM

What about using soap nuts?

You could also use the soapwort plant or yucca root -- both contain natural detergent properties.

Soapwort (Saponaria officinalis) is a vespertine flower, and a common perennial plant from the carnation family (Caryophyllaceae). Other common names are Bouncing Bet and Sweet William.  Saponin is in the roots and the leaves are rich in natural surfactants, which form a natural lather ideal for cleaning the skin. It starts producing lather when in contact with water. In traditional medicine, the roots are used to treat certain skin diseases. Soapwort extracts are also used in cleansers, make-up removers, and shampoos.

Yucca roots have been used by Native American tribes for years to prevent hair loss and dandruff while making hair shiny and beautiful. Yucca root makes a great shampoo and soap because it contains natural saponin, which is an all-natural detergent that softly lathers when agitated with water.

What we think we become.

User Tag List