Dandruff/flaky scalp help - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 04-22-2011, 01:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My dd was itching her scalp a few minutes ago and when I took a moment to look, I would that all along the front of her hairline is very  flaky dry skin.  She is nine, and washes her own hair well at this point, ans we try to avoid harsh shampoos with SLS etc. 

What should we try to fix this for her?  It's itchy, and it really has come up quite quickly and is quite severe. 

#2 of 6 Old 04-29-2011, 10:07 AM

You might try a hot oil treatment using olive or coconut oil.

What we think we become.
#3 of 6 Old 05-24-2011, 06:29 PM

I would try apple cider vinegar (raw)
#4 of 6 Old 05-24-2011, 06:53 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Try going no poo for a while. Use diluted bakingsoda in a squirt bottle for 'shampoo' then rinse out with water, then use diluted apple cider vinegar for 'conditioner' and then rinse out with water. Make sure to dilute with warm water and keep it warm. If that doesn't clear it up in about a week try using some coconut oil or jojoba oil with rosemary esential oil and massage it into the scalp. You can let it sit for only a little while or over night whatever works for her. Then was with baking soda and acv. I hope some of these ideas work for you. Good luck.

be good family...

#5 of 6 Old 05-25-2011, 01:54 PM

Personally, I get dandruff when I have a yeast overgrowth, so it could have an underlying issue.  Cutting out sugars, grains, carbs helps me.  It's hard, especially for kids, but it's better to nip it in the bud before the yeast causes problems.  Just a thought!

#6 of 6 Old 08-15-2011, 06:38 AM

Try to increase the daily intake of omega 3. This was the only thing that helped me to get rid of my dandruff. All other treatments gave me temporary results.

Tags
Natural Hair Care , Giovanni Hair Care , Super Sensitive Hair Conditioner , Calming Blend Hair Conditioner , Miessence Healthy Hair Pack

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page