Mama pads washing help - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 04-22-2011, 08:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am having stink but not staining issues with my mama pads.  When they come out of the wash, they look clean, but when I smell them, they don't smell clean.  They smell like blood though really like iron (rusty nails).  My wash routine is: I rinse them in cold water when I take them off then either put them directly in a dry pail or sometimes dry them over the shower rod then put them in the pail.  They don't sit for more than 3 days generally.  I wash them either with towels or diapers so generally getting a cold and hot wash.  Is there something that will address the iron smell directly or am I just doomed to wash, wash, wash?

TIA!!

Marjorie
wife to my best friend, Stephen, mother to Alec 5/02, Ian 2/05 and Kathryn 9/09
#2 of 17 Old 04-22-2011, 08:20 PM

“What is evil? Killing is evil, lying is evil, slandering is evil, abuse is evil, gossip is evil: envy is evil, hatred is evil, to cling to false doctrine is evil; all these things are evil. And what is the root of evil? Desire is the root of evil, illusion is the root of evil.”
- Buddha
#3 of 17 Old 04-22-2011, 10:23 PM - Thread Starter

How much vinegar?

Marjorie
#4 of 17 Old 04-23-2011, 12:19 PM
Banned

I do a wet pail with new water everyday until I wash at end of cycle. No stink that way.
#5 of 17 Old 04-23-2011, 06:16 PM

“What is evil? Killing is evil, lying is evil, slandering is evil, abuse is evil, gossip is evil: envy is evil, hatred is evil, to cling to false doctrine is evil; all these things are evil. And what is the root of evil? Desire is the root of evil, illusion is the root of evil.”
- Buddha
#6 of 17 Old 04-23-2011, 06:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristandthekids View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorie View Post

How much vinegar?

Enough to cover the bottom of my little mini-pail? I don't measure. Maybe a cup?

So do you use the same vinegar water for your entire cycle?

Marjorie
#7 of 17 Old 04-23-2011, 07:30 PM

- Buddha
#8 of 17 Old 04-23-2011, 07:57 PM

I've been told to soak in hydrogen peroxide :)

-:¦:-♥Sarah Lynne♥-:¦:-Wife to Michael and Mommy to Austin(5), Steven(3), Tristyn(1), and Laurelyn (6/3/2011)

#9 of 17 Old 05-03-2011, 02:37 PM

@Jorie,

The problem is likely due to a build up of soap and other residues on the pads. "Stripping" them is what you need to do to get rid of the smell. Check out this link on how to strip cloth diapers, and it will work on your pads. Essentially, you need to wash them in hot water, with NO detergent. @kristandthekids: I agree, vinegar is helpful.

PS: I'd love it if some of you would share your comments on how you wash your mama cloth on my "Simple tips for washing cloth pads" blog post and video clip.

I'm Suzanne, mom to 2 boys aged 8 & 4.
#10 of 17 Old 05-06-2011, 09:05 PM

I change the water in my soaking bucket every morning and wring out the pads that have been soaking all night.  I also add a couple drops of tea tree oil to the soaking water and that seems to dramatically cut down on the odor of the pads. 

Jessie

#11 of 17 Old 05-13-2011, 09:53 PM

I don't use a soak bucket because my three year old got a bit to curious one day. Now I just dust the pads with bakingsoda and roll them up. I have not noticed any smell after washing them. I wash with baking soda and either ecover, biokleen or sals suds and then rinse with vinegar. Sometimes I just toss them in with diapers instead of storing them seperatly.

be good family...

#12 of 17 Old 01-21-2013, 02:23 PM

If the other solutions above aren't working for you, give an enzyme cleaner a try (like Ruby's Red Wash, Bac-Out, or Femme Rock). These cleaners are specially formulated to get rid of odors/stains from bodily fluids. Use them in a pre-soak in cold water. Good luck!

crochetsmilie.gif heartbeat.gif cat.gif

#13 of 17 Old 01-24-2013, 02:01 PM

I use rNg femme rock and it's awesome

#14 of 17 Old 01-24-2013, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVEP View Post

I use rNg femme rock and it's awesome

I totally agree! It works magic on all kinds of other stains too I've discovered!

I'm Suzanne, mom to 2 boys aged 8 & 4.
#15 of 17 Old 01-24-2013, 05:03 PM

Maybe it's the kind of pad? It sounds like most folks are going through a lot of work to take care of their pads. Did you make your own or buy them? If you bought them, the maker should have a thorough understanding of their product and have good advice, I'd think.

I use Party In My Pants pads. I just snap them closed and either toss them in the laundry hamper, or set them by the washer. The next time anyone in the house does laundry, they unsnap them and toss them into the machine first. They're dry by that time, so no one cares any more than any other piece of dirty laundry. They go into the dryer like anything else. Then, they get tossed onto my bed for me to deal with when the laundry gets sorted. We all kind of do our own laundry, but end up with other people's laundry mixed in to make full loads and such all the time. So, it's just another item in my house.

Affordable organics delivered from GREEN POLKADOT BOX

Wife to jammin.gif Beast 

Mama to guitar.gif Crash (14) and hippie.gifSpritely (12)

#16 of 17 Old 01-26-2013, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunagal View Post

I totally agree! It works magic on all kinds of other stains too I've discovered!

Yes! It even got most of this horrible permanent marker stain out of a top I have!

#17 of 17 Old 01-28-2013, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by incorrigible View Post

Maybe it's the kind of pad? It sounds like most folks are going through a lot of work to take care of their pads. Did you make your own or buy them? If you bought them, the maker should have a thorough understanding of their product and have good advice, I'd think.

I use Party In My Pants pads. I just snap them closed and either toss them in the laundry hamper, or set them by the washer. The next time anyone in the house does laundry, they unsnap them and toss them into the machine first. They're dry by that time, so no one cares any more than any other piece of dirty laundry. They go into the dryer like anything else. Then, they get tossed onto my bed for me to deal with when the laundry gets sorted. We all kind of do our own laundry, but end up with other people's laundry mixed in to make full loads and such all the time. So, it's just another item in my house.

^^ This is basically my pad washing routine as well! I do a pre-soak right before washing (take all the dry pads, toss them in the bathtub in cold water -- or you could set a pre-soak on your washing machine if you have one) then just dump them in the laundry with everything else. I have some mild staining, but my GladRags definitely don't look as old as they are ;)

crochetsmilie.gif heartbeat.gif cat.gif

Tags
Diva Cup Diva Cup 2 Post Childbirth Cup , Lunapads Divacup Kit With Teenypantyliners , Organic Cotton Lunapanties By Lunapads , Lunapads 100 Organic Cotton Intro Kit 1 Kit , Lunapads Organic Sampler Pack

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page