Natural deoderant that will actually work for my teen and preteen? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 06-09-2011, 04:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I keep having them use the natural stuff but I am embarassed when we're out in public. Their BO is so strong! I really don't want to give them the bad stuff. Any ideas for a strong natural deoderant that won't harm them?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 06-11-2011, 01:51 PM

I use this and it works pretty well-I sometimes also use TTO with it  and that lasts all day (you can also use other EOs if you like having a scent-I sometimes use peppermint or eucalyptus)  A little baking soda mixed with water under the arm also works amazingly well.

Stay-at-home Mama to my fabulous DD (10/08)  and DS (9/12) and wife to my just-as-fabulous DH

#3 of 7 Old 06-11-2011, 02:53 PM - Thread Starter

I have used the crystals before. That's a good idea. Thank you!

#4 of 7 Old 06-12-2011, 05:34 PM

yeah, I used those crystals once. They worked for about two months, then not at all. During the time they did work I still had to reapply them a couple times during the day.

Have you tried the Weleda liquid deodorants? Or just straight up baking soda? For me they are both miraculous and have been consistently working for years.

mom to: M born Aug 2011 & K 2yo

#5 of 7 Old 06-12-2011, 08:01 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

The crystal is my favorite commercial one, sometimes I use them with drops of eo's on top for a good smell. I've noticed if I mix it up with something else it keeps working for a long time. It's important to make sure it is clean so you do not reapply old bacteria to your armpits. It works by creating an environment that is too salty so nothing survives in it but halobacteria which you don't usually find in the armpit.

I also use a combination of coconut oil, bentonite clay and essential oils, you could use corn starch too. I make a thin paste and add eo's till it smells good then slather it on. I think there is a product called 'funk butter' that is a lot like that combo.

As for plain baking soda be careful as a lot of people get break outs from it. It causes my armpits to get raw if I use it often so I'll use baking soda once a week at most.

Another thing I've tried but gave up was carrying a spray bottle with vinegar to use as a hand sanitizer and then spraying my armpits with it if I started to stink, then they would smell like vinegar for about five minuets which would kill whatever bacteria was making the smell. when they were dry I'd either leave it be or put coconut oil on them.

Wow, I can't believe I rambled that much about not using deoderant.

be good family...

#6 of 7 Old 06-14-2011, 06:19 PM - Thread Starter

lol Well, I'm glad you did! I can imagine the vinegar would be pretty intense. I once put TTO all over my arms for a rash and people were really weirding out on me. lol 

#7 of 7 Old 06-16-2011, 08:18 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)

My kids use a salt stick. It works really well as long as they wash under their arms with soap and water every morning before putting it on. Ds tried to get away with just wetting the stick and applying it but it didn't work and before long the crystal smelled just like teenage boy BO.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page