Wanting to go No 'Poo. - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 06-10-2011, 06:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm just about out of shampoo and conditioner and I want to try going the no 'poo route. Hit me with ideas/recipes/whatever you all do instead of 'poo. I have shorter than chin length fine hair, if that makes any sort of difference. TIA!!

Elizabeth wife to Matt , mom to Logan (2/21/01) , and little man Desmond (9/23/08)

Mourning the loss of her father: Robert Edward Dillon 5/31/52 - 01/03/2011

#2 of 10 Old 06-11-2011, 12:43 PM

Well, I wouldn't call myself an expert in the slightest but what I have been doing is dissolving about 3 tablespoons baking soda in about a cup and 1/2 of water and putting about six drops of Rosemary EO and sometimes the same amount of peppermint (it works fine without the EOs but I like the smell).  I pour it over my hair so it covers it all and then wash it out.  For a rinse I put 1/2 cup white vinegar (you can also use apple cidar vinegar which I've heard is supposed to be gentler on your hair) in 4 cups water and then add a teaspoon of vanilla and a cinnamon stick, I keep it in an empty bottle and squirt over my hair and wash it out.  Works great and my hair smells great and I only have to wash my hair every 8 or 9 days (I used to have to do it every other day at the very least).  Hope that helps.

Stay-at-home Mama to my fabulous DD (10/08)  and DS (9/12) and wife to my just-as-fabulous DH

#3 of 10 Old 06-11-2011, 01:29 PM

I usually just boil baking soda in water until the baking soda dissolves, cool and stick in a mason jar.  Then at shower time, I pour a little bit into my hair and scrub, then rinse with cool water.  Then I put 2 capfuls of apple cider vinegar in my hair, scrub, and rinse with more cool water.  It works really well for me (chin length thick hair), and I never had any of the breakthrough weeks.

~Brandon Michael (11/23/03), Jocelyn Lily Nữ (2/4/07, adopted 5/28/07 from Vietnam), Amelia Rylie (1/14/09), & Ryland Josef William (9/7/05-9/7/05 @ 41 wks). 
#4 of 10 Old 06-11-2011, 06:56 PM - Thread Starter

Awesome! Thank you so much! I'll have to get some apple cider vinegar next time I go to the store. I'm excited to try this out and be less dependent on chemical cleansers. I already use either honey or a mixture of olive oil and brown sugar to wash my face with. My skin has never been happier.

Elizabeth wife to Matt , mom to Logan (2/21/01) , and little man Desmond (9/23/08)

#5 of 10 Old 06-12-2011, 03:23 AM

We went no poo about 6 weeks ago and so far so good. The only one it doesn't work for is ds2 because he has very fine, long hair. I wash him with Val's Veggie Bar (no harsh chemicals) about 2x per week and condtion with ACV+water. Now that it's summer, I use Val's Veggie Bar  on my hair intermittently, too, as I find baking soda just can't keep my hair from getting stringy in the heat (and I have hair like ds2's though since I'm older it's coarser and dryer). We have normal water. I have heard that no poo is very hard to do if you have hard water.

The recipe we use is shampoo: 1 Tbsp baking soda dissolved per 1 cup water. Conditioner: 1 Tbsp ACV per 1 cup water (I add a few drops of vanilla if I remember).

"So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." - Jack Layton

#6 of 10 Old 06-12-2011, 06:16 PM - Thread Starter

We have hard water, so we'll see how it goes. I skipped the 'poo today and just rinsed with warm water and my hair feels and looks a bit greasy.

#7 of 10 Old 06-12-2011, 07:53 PM

It's important to wash out the bs before using the acv 'rinse' becaues otherwise you can get a build up from the reaction. You can also use lemon juice to rinse with if you don't mind lightening your hair.

I use water only most of the time and bs/acv about once a week, if I remember. I usually just use baking soda with my dd and rinse it with water because she doesn't always hold still enough to use acv or lemon juice, I'm afraid of it getting in her eyes.

be good family...

#8 of 10 Old 06-16-2011, 10:17 AM

I've done no poo before but had to stop because my hair was seriously always dry and completely flat and lifeless. Any suggestions, I would love to give no poo another try.

treehugger.gifhippie.gifhomeschool.gifnamaste.gifnovaxnocirc.gifcrochetsmilie.gifblahblah.gifenergy.gifgoorganic.jpggd.gifteapot2.GIFbftoddler.giffamilybed2.gif

#9 of 10 Old 06-17-2011, 08:38 PM

you could try running a small amount of jojoba oil on your fingertips through your hair while it is still wet. or treating your scalp with an olive oil massage a few hours before no pooing. that way you will absorb all the oil and most of it will wash off your hair will still be soft and shiny. that's what works for me but my scalp only gets dry in the middle of winter or if i'm somewhere really dry in the summer. hope that helps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mittsy View Post

I've done no poo before but had to stop because my hair was seriously always dry and completely flat and lifeless. Any suggestions, I would love to give no poo another try.

be good family...

#10 of 10 Old 07-02-2011, 06:24 PM

I use about a tablespoon of baking soda and a squirt of honey in about 1 1/2 cups of water. I dissolve it and pour it on my head and scrub. After letting it sit for 2 minutes or so I rinse. I use ACV for conditioner. I just dillute some in about a cup of water and same thing. I've put vanilla in the acv to help with the smell, but now that I am used to it it doesn't bother me anymore.

Working from home Mommy. You can too. Ask me how!joy.gif

me loveeyes.gif & she surf.gifpartners.gif  TTC one of these makebabe.gif Proud Mommy to two of these energy.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page