lunette cup smell - Mothering Forums
View Poll Results: Does your menstrual cup ever stink?
I have a Lunette and I have never had problems with smell 1 16.67%
I have a Lunette and I have had problems with smell 2 33.33%
I have another cup and I have never had problems with smell (please post the brand and length of use in my thread!) 1 16.67%
I have another cup and I have had problems with smell (please post the brand and length of use in my thread!) 2 33.33%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 06-15-2011, 10:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My Lunette cup REEKS! I am wondering if this is specific to the Lunette cup or is it a problem with many other cups? I have only ever owned a Diva Cup before and while it was tinged brown for most of the time I owned it, it never stank. Does your cup ever stink? If so what remedies do you use? I'm going to try sunning my cup today, tea tree oil didn't work all the way.

#2 of 7 Old 06-25-2011, 09:43 PM

i have a moon cup by keeper that is made out of natural rubber not silicone. i have never had any problems with it smelling or staining since it is dark brown

be good family...

#3 of 7 Old 11-25-2011, 10:21 PM

I've been using mine for about 6 months, and all of a sudden it started to smell too. It was fine, and I wash it as instructed boiling it in water as needed. I'm about to try maybe using lemon juice or vinegar, only I am a little worried that any residue from that may hurt later. 

#4 of 7 Old 12-02-2011, 01:58 PM

I don't have a lunette but a diva.  Once early when I first bought it this happened to mine to, I boiled the heck out of it and nothing got rid of it, except when I put some baking soda in the little case that it came in and all over the diva, inside and out, and left it for a few days,  smell disappeared and never came back.  I'm guessing it was a ph issue or something....baking soda cured it and it has never happened again, though I keep baking soda sprinkled in it's little baggie still. 

Living Simply and Enjoying Life
#5 of 7 Old 12-08-2011, 03:15 PM

I have a Diva Cup, and I've had problems with both staining and smell.  I tried everything to get rid of the funk, and I finally soaked it in a solution of OxyClean and water.  No more stains, and the smell disappeared too.  I've only done it once in the 3+ years I've used it.  Next time I may try an enzymatic cleaner instead.

Married to my loving hubby, proud mama to Ethan thumbsuck.gif (9/09) and Rowyn (7/12)slinggirl.gif  and aspiring homesteader chicken3.gif

Missing my twins, Owen and Sophia, born too soon, July 2011 angel2.gifangel3.gif

#6 of 7 Old 01-11-2013, 01:54 AM

I love my lunette!

I have never really had a problem with smell.

But I hate it being stained, so every few months I soak it overnight in hydrogen peroxide to get rid of the staining. Works like a charm! thumb.gif I have heard people say that I shouldn't because it might damage the silicon, but I haven't noticed any sort of damage.

Maybe this keeps the smell away? I don't know because I've never had a problem with it.

But it makes sense that the smell would come with the staining, because silicone can't absorb the smell or anything because it's non porous. So it has to be coming from the little bits of stuff that stick to it's surface and make it turn brown. read.gif (I know it's kinda gross, but think about it)

#7 of 7 Old 01-14-2013, 02:30 PM

Ah yes, the menstrual cup smell... it happens to the best of us. ;)

If the smell just happens when you empty it, it's not really anything to worry about -- just rinse and wash thoroughly. My cups (I use the Lunette Cynthia and the Moon Cup) sometimes smell yucky when I take them out, but I usually do it in the shower, so I just scrub thoroughly between my hands with hot water and soap, and that does the trick.

If the smell is lingering, sunshine can certainly help. So can lemon juice, although I haven't tried this personally. Hydrogen peroxide works well, and will help with discoloration. You could also try boiling the cup for a few minutes.

Hope this helps!

crochetsmilie.gif heartbeat.gif cat.gif

Tags
Gladrags

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page